Sponsored by:

Starter/Solenoid Issues, PLEASE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 07:12 AM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by makenagillies
So since I've last posted on here some things have happened. Well I put the new starter in and noticed my oil pan was leaking. Took it back to my mechanic as they were the last ones to touch the oil pan. Turns out they had stripped the bolts and are refusing to fix it. Is it possible my starter issues are from the oil pan leaking oil all over it?
Possibly Hobbit. Starter doesnt like oil all over it.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:47 PM
makenagillies
New User
Hey everyone!! This is a super long update/question... Sorry!!

Sorry it took me so long to post to this thread I went out of town for a bit so wasn't able to work on the Bronco. I pulled the whole starter wiring before I left and going to run new wire. I noticed when I pulled the wire there was actually a section where it was slightly damaged. I'm hoping this might be what's causing the short. I also went ahead and replaced the neg. battery cable, as well as the ignition lock cylinder. Now I was also thinking about what else could be causing my starter issues while I was away. I realized right before the starter issues began, I had replaced the alternator as the old one was beat and basically done for. The next day after I replaced the Alternator is when the starter issues began. I didn't put those two together because I was driving back from Vegas to Nor.Cal. and blew my oil pan gasket and thought maybe I had fried the starter because there was oil dumping over everything, and I drove it for another 3hrs like that as I was in the middle of nowhere. Yes I know, stupid but hey got to where I could get AAA to tow my truck to my mechanic lol. Ever since then I've had the starter issues. Now I don't know really anything about electrical or the starter system on a truck. But is it possible the alternator could be causing or contributing to the starter issue? I replaced the Alternator but I believe they gave me a 3G alt. and i'm pretty sure my truck only had a 2G alt. in it originally. I didn't upgrade the alternator wiring to a 2 gauge cable or upgrade the megafuse... which is why I'm thinking that might be contributing to it? I don't know anything about alternators or how that whole system works. I may just be grasping at straws here lol, but thought it was weird my starter issues began the next day.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:57 PM
makenagillies
New User
Also, I checked the wires with a multimeter and everything read ok until it came to the starter cable. Also, as an update of everything i've replaced so far parts wise; I've replaced the ignition lock cylinder, ignition switch, neg. battery cable, pos. battery cable, fender solenoid(4x), Starter(3x), battery, and Alternator. Hoping to throw on the new wires for the starter in the next couple of days. Ignition actuator and rod are totally fine.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:06 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
What can keep the starter engage is the solenoid on it or the wiring isnt right.

Then also the spacing. But since it started after the oil leaked on it..its probably the solenoid on the starter itself.

Be best to carry it to a starter place and see how much it will cost for them to fix or buy a new starter.

And if the wire is grounding out. That can be the issue. Replace wire first then try it. Problem may go away.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:45 PM
makenagillies
New User
So just replaced the starter and the solenoid again as well as the cable to the starter... Started it up and after about 2 starts it began squealing again The only wire I haven't replaced is the small wire that plugs in at the top of the fender solenoid... Also, I noticed when I go to start the Bronco it gets enough power to start but as soon as I let off of the key it kicks way down and then sounds like it's scrambling to get more power

Old 07-15-2016, 06:50 AM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Originally Posted by makenagillies
So just replaced the starter and the solenoid again as well as the cable to the starter... Started it up and after about 2 starts it began squealing again The only wire I haven't replaced is the small wire that plugs in at the top of the fender solenoid... Also, I noticed when I go to start the Bronco it gets enough power to start but as soon as I let off of the key it kicks way down and then sounds like it's scrambling to get more power
Could you record this noise?

It could be a pulley or belt going out.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:05 PM
makenagillies
New User
Hey guys,

Just wanted to give you all an update, I've been super busy so haven't had a chance to post on here for awhile!! I let the Bronco sit for a little bit as I didn't have time to work on it.

It's a super long story but I figured out the electrical issue with my Bronco. I did it the long way by just pulling everything one by one and either replacing it or testing it. First I made all new ground wires, and made a thicker Negative battery cable. Starter was still having issues. Next I pulled the entire electrical harness from the engine compartment and tested every single wire one by one. Every single wire was totally fine. Then I moved to checking and making sure my mechanic actually pulled the old alarm system. They pulled about 3/4's of it, but left all the wiring hooked up to the solenoid, so literally had wires that lead nowhere still hooked up to the solenoid. Pulled the two old alarm sirens. Tested the one that had been left hooked up to the solenoid, and it had a short in the wires. There was another fusible link hooked up to the solenoid that ran to an old Sony audio amp, the wires connected and splitting off the amp were a complete mess... the guy that owned this bronco and put in the audio system did a hack job on all the wires. There were wires exposed, wires that lead nowhere, wires that weren't crimped OR soldered. He literally twisted the ends of the wires together and either left them exposed or put a single layer of electricians tape over it. Those wires then ran to ANOTHER amp in the back of the Bronco. So I said screw it and completely pulled all of it.

*knock on wood* My Bronco has been running and so far no shorting out or starter staying engaged!!! But now I have to run all new audio wire lol

Old 08-24-2016, 10:15 PM
makenagillies
New User
OH! Also, there were two super old rusted out ground wires that were clip on ground wires..??? I pulled those and drilled new holes to mount the new ground wires properly. I also drilled two new holes for the Solenoid as my amazing old mechanic stripped the bolts on it so it wasn't a secure ground. It wasn't super loose but figured I might as well drill new holes so it would be mounted properly. So it now has a nice solid contact.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:18 PM
makenagillies
New User
So it was something in all of that that was causing the short