6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Stranded help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 10:14 AM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you had filled out your info and showed what state you reside in, I would have recommended this 80 posts ago.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:56 AM
Rsiebert
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I'm pretty sure that this is a late 04....can anyone tell me if this is the only year that I can get parts from?

Old 06-26-2016, 10:40 AM
Rsiebert
Junior User
I take it that there is no rebuilding option for this hpop.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:57 AM
BryanStein
Fleet Mechanic
Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
I've never heard that the lpop of any 6.0 is different than any other. I don't know for a fact, but I'm very confident they are all the same.

I'm also confident that when deformed metal is involved, rebuilding is not an option.

But, to be sure, you reinstalled the same components the needle bearing went through? If so, no wonder you can't get any lpo. Even if you did get some, is be afraid to run it that way.

Old 06-27-2016, 03:29 PM
Rsiebert
Junior User
I installed new inner and outer gear, new cover, new seal. Should I have to dump oil in the filter housing to prime this? If so how much?

Old 06-27-2016, 05:35 PM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rsiebert
I installed new inner and outer gear, new cover, new seal. Should I have to dump oil in the filter housing to prime this? If so how much?
There is no need to prime it, I just changed my front cover Friday and all I did was prelube the front cover and both gears. Truck started and oil pressure came up as normal.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:26 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 132 Likes on 79 Posts
A couple of confusing posts in this thread. If the oil level in the pan is where it should be, a working LOW pressure pump should self prime and begin pumping with minimal cranking. If it has a leak on the pick-up tube or cover, above the oil level in the pan (on the suction side of the pump) it won't be able to prime and pump much, if any, oil. If clearances are too loose in the pump, either between the gears or between the sides of the gears and the housing, it won't work either. It sounds to me like with new gears and cover you have got that covered. There are a couple of part numbers for the front cover related to different water pump sizes and hose outlet angle but I can only find one part number for the gears ( 3C3Z 6608 BA / ). The regulator bypasses oil when the pressure comes up, I've never dealt with a stuck one so I don't know for sure if it's capable of returning ALL the oil back to the pan if the plunger is in the wrong position. Maybe...

There are three HPOP's.
03-early 04 is an aluminum swashplate style pump. (3C3Z 9A543 AARM / 5010106R93 Ford/International numbers)

Mid/late 2004 pump looks exactly the same but has a different number. ( 4C3Z 9A543 AARM ) these two may interchange. They do have a different part number for the IPR for each pump also.

2005- and up pumps are a V4 piston pump ( 5C4Z 9A543 C / 5010119R92 ) made of cast iorn (aluminum cover) and not interchangeable with the earlier pumps without changing some of the other plumbing. Replacing the branch tube requires pulling the engine or dropping the transmission.

None of these pumps are rebuild able by us mechanic types. There would be some machine work and un available parts hurdles for us. Here is a link to a thread that has some insight to the early style pumps. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...and-a-fix.html

The ScanGuage can't read low side oil pressure.

It is possible to pre fill the HPOP reservoir by pouring a quart of oil down the hole in the center of the oil filter housing. Just remove the filter and the standpipe. There are 3 Torx screws at the base of the standpipe, only one needs to be removed, the pipe will twist and pull up after removing the screw on the centerline of the housing. This could help the HPO system but will have no effect on the low side.

The finish on the cam lobe is very precise. After seeing the condition of the lifter, the finish on the cam is certainly destroyed. I understand you want to give it a shot, but I wouldn't spend a lot of money unless you intend to rebuild it. Some of the parts could survive. The roller on the new lifter will soon begin to "skid" on the ruff spot on the cam lobe and I'm afraid you'll be back to your starting point shockingly soon.

Your 6.0 knowledge is about to increase a lot good luck with it!

Old 06-28-2016, 08:40 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
hows this battle going

Old 06-28-2016, 09:14 PM
"Phatman"
Senior User
Originally Posted by BLADE35
hows this battle going
I know right. I'm sure it sucks for the OP but I'm on the edge of my seat. I'm rooting for you man.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:35 AM
Rsiebert
Junior User
Just waiting on parts. I'm going to replace the hpop and check the scan gauge for pressure as I was only getting 10 max reading while cranking. My concern here is that if I'm not getting any oil from the lpop then will this affect my hpop reading.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:45 PM
BryanStein
Fleet Mechanic
10 psi is really zero. In other words, the equation doesn't read that low because there is like enough noise In the signal to give 10 psi. If your getting no oil from the lpop (oil filter won't fill), a new hoop won't change anything. I dont remember your model, but the 06, 07 and 08 pumps almost never go bad. The STC may need replacing, but not the pump. That's good money you could put on a new lpop.

Are you sure it's not draining out of the oil filter housing?

Old 06-29-2016, 09:19 PM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BryanStein
10 psi is really zero. In other words, the equation doesn't read that low because there is like enough noise In the signal to give 10 psi. If your getting no oil from the lpop (oil filter won't fill), a new hoop won't change anything. I dont remember your model, but the 06, 07 and 08 pumps almost never go bad. The STC may need replacing, but not the pump. That's good money you could put on a new lpop.

Are you sure it's not draining out of the oil filter housing?
It's an '04.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:23 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
We'll a HPO problem can make LPO problems if the HPO System just let's it free flow out it won't build LPO or HPO For that matter
The only catch is he had to have couple things kill at once looks like it shot schrapnel thru so it possible

The needle bearing looks like it broke into bits maybe it made it thru oil cooler Plus the oil filter onto the HPOP idk his sump screen was shot so

Guess will see

Iv seen it here before just not with LPO CATASROPIC fail at the same time

Old 06-29-2016, 11:23 PM
BryanStein
Fleet Mechanic
Benny, I see your point. If oil free flows through the hpop, I guess it wouldn't fill the filter housing. I was thinking there's no way metal makes it through the oil filter. If it can't get through the filter, it can't get to the hpop. Wellllll, if the oil filter bypass valve opens, only then can it get to the hpop. But hey, stranger things have happened I guess.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:41 PM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guys,, this truck has a scored cam,,, PERIOD!!! A new lifter was put on a bad cam. This truck is not going to be reliably used until the cam is replaced.

Replacing a hpop on this truck will do nothing but add another voice that curses the 6.0. Tossing parts and not fixing the underlaying issue is picture book of what I hear on a regular basis at the shop. Yank the engine back out,, and fix it right.

Quick Reply: Stranded help!