Anyone Slapped On Some POR15?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 03:27 PM
sum_weirdo
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone Slapped On Some POR15?

I've been lax with bodywork on this truck. At first because it wouldn't fit in the garage, and later because I didn't have a garage. That and I'm not good with bodywork to begin with

Anyway I've been inspired to try and arrest the rust that's slowly claiming the truck. I don't have much money at the moment, nor a place to work on it, so I'm hoping to just patch it with POR15 and come back to it later.

Question is can I just throw some black POR15 on it and leave it un-coated? What will happen to it if I do? The truck isn't painted a stock color, and I'm not paying to get some mixed up custom right now. It'd probably look half-assed if I tried. So how will the POR15 look after the sun gets at it?

Edit: Only painting spots, not the whole truck with it.

Old 06-16-2016, 04:34 PM
blackbearford
New User
I'm in exactly the same situation. Did a real half-*** paint job to my 86' last week - my first. Need to sand it and do over - slowly; In smaller sections. But I'm also looking to invest in the POR-15 or Chassis Saver which I've seen and like. I understand it will fade badly like primer will in direct sun exposure and quickly. Not sure if it becomes less effective but you could hit it with Rustoleum as a top-coat after. Note from Auto Paint store "Stay away from Rustoleum - unless it's made for Automotive use then.. maybe". The catalyst action of proper paint can lift from incompatible products. Test first.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:33 PM
sum_weirdo
Tuned
Starting to think I could try Eastwood Rust Encapsulator, which also sounds like a good product. Available as aerosol.

And they also have an aerosol frame coating with a host attachment for getting into cavities. Because that's something else I need, I've got rust inside the hollow between body panels and I didn't know what to do with it.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:52 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
painting over rust will never work because no matter how good they get the paint formulated to stick to and encapsulate rust,the rust will never be properly stuck to the metal.this means when the rust does flake off,you'll have really good paint stuck to it but a bare spot on your truck and now a place for air and water to continue the cancer.

if it's worth doing,it's worth doing right.eliminate the rust and then use a high quality primer and paint.this way it will last for years.

off with the por15 and job done right:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...bed-liner.html

Old 06-17-2016, 07:38 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
For a temporary treatment I'd disagree POR-15 isn't a good choice. While we'll all agree fully replacing a rusted area is best in the short term POR-15 would be a good choice.

Of course like any finish proper preparation is imperative to a good end result. Descaling and pre-treatment according to POR-15's directions should last a few years.

I've used this to great effect on an '03 E250 floor---not rusted through but a lot of surface rust caused by the OEM floor mats. In 5 years its held up very well, still adhering to every surface it was applied.

I like the idea of bed liner etc as HDXLT used it but not sure its the same as POR-15. Just personal experience and preference.

Here's my own story: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-por-15-a.html

Old 01-10-2017, 04:58 PM
HoustonDave
Fleet Mechanic
Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
Had a sports car covered with surface rust... stripped the paint to the metal and did a sand with 80 grit to give the POR15 something to work on (it sticks better to a rougher surface). Used the Marine Prep per instructions, applied silver POR, then wet sanded and primed. After it was painted, had zero issues for many years, noticed a couple of small blisters at about the 8 year mark. POR15 has to be painted over to keep UV off it. In my limited experience it works pretty well. How long do you intend to realistically keep your truck? As a temporary 8 year fix..I was happy.