6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Long Winded Question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 08:48 AM
snotrod
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long Winded Question...

So to start off, thanks to everyone on this site who contribute their time and knowledge to help others. Although I’ve just barely joined the forum, I’ve been reading countless posts for the past 6 months from here, and have had almost every single one of my questions answered without needing to ask them myself.

Some background about my truck- I have a 2003 6.0 CC LB PSD w/ 227k miles (bought with 220k in Jan). Although I’ll admit this truck wasn’t my first choice, I got a great deal on it and decided to take the plunge into the 6.oh world, and I’m actually loving the truck. Within a week of buying the truck, I had the EGR deleted, oil cooler replaced, eot sensor replaced, coolant flushed, turbo cleaned, oil filled with Mobil 1 delvac and possibly some others I can’t think of off the top of my head. I have 285/65/16 BFG’s on there. Other than this, the truck is stock. Doesn’t even have a leveling kit.

Current known problems with the truck: I have a y-pipe/up-pipe exhaust leak, and a cracked exhaust manifold.

The truck drives great unloaded. I hit 20 psi on WOT runs, and definitely gets out of its own way. But, a couple problems I’ve been having with the truck are low power and a LOT of heat when loaded/towing my 8k 26 ft TT. Should
I just contribute this to the exhaust leaks?

Another issue I’ve had, is sometimes after climbing a hill and coming back down the other side, or a long freeway exit towing my trailer, I will have no power afterwards. I’m running dashcommand on my iPhone and I’ve noticed that the VGT% pretty much locks in to 15, sometimes going back up to the 30’s or so. But literally, the only time it will do this is going down a long hill using the turbo braking and tow/haul mode to keep speed in check. Every time this has happened, the problem has gone away the next morning.
I’ve check codes, and I’ve got the EGR code for it not being there, P0470 Exhaust Pressure Sensor A Circuit, (which went away on it’s own) and another code something like low boost, it went away before I could write it down. I’ve scanned again multiple times and haven’t seen them again.

With all that being said, can anyone point me in a direction to go? I can pull any temps/PID’s that you’d want to see. I know the first reaction is clean the turbo, but with that having been done less than 5k miles ago, would it be that dirty again that quick? Is this something that can be related to the exhaust leak as well?

TIA
Snotrod

Old 06-16-2016, 03:57 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The leaking manifold and y pipe will have a lot to do with the lack of power.

Up Pipes | 03-07 Ford Powerstroke 6.0L | Thoroughbred Diesel

Eliminates the up pipe on the passenger side if you are deleted.

Clean the Turbo when you replace the y pipe. Make sure the boots on the intercooler pipes are good. They tear easily as they age.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:12 PM
78fordman
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I 2nd the up pipe replacement. With low boost your egts are probably pretty high, the up pipe leak is causing the low boost. Repair what is known to be bad then venture out. As stated clean the turbo veins as well while it's out.