1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tailgate theft "deterent" idea

Old 06-12-2016, 05:07 PM
cyncwby
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tailgate theft "deterent" idea

Ok befroe someone comes on saying....."that won't stop them" bla, bla..... I know it won't if they have the time and tools. It's just an FYI for you guys that want to do this or something like this, I said it's a "deterent" which means it will take the no good dope smokin SOB a while to get this stuff off.

I changed out the bolts in the t/gate and tie down hook to stainless 5/16 x 18 allen heads to make it a little harder for the crook. You could use torx head bolts and if you choose to do this you will need the correct metric bolts or use a 5/16 X 18 tap to rethread the bolt holes. The coated cable is 5/16 hardened stainless, I was going to use 3/8 but it was just too stiff to make the small loops I needed. Yes the cable can be cut with a GOOD hacksaw blade or a BIG bolt cutter but again that takes some time.

I already had the standard bolts and retapping worked just fine. I also put a heavy duty hose clamp around the pivot until I can find a locking device that's worthy. Speaking of which, is their any locking device worth a damn? Seems like every review I read says their just a plastic coated hose clamp or made cheaply. I will be using one of those round stainless padlocks and wrap some sticky foam around it to keep it from rattling.

Anywho..... thats my idea to slow them down, cost me about $4 for the cable, better than nothing at all or relying on a lock that may not work at all.

Attached Images   
Old 06-12-2016, 05:21 PM
CyberJay
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a stainless steel hoseclamp from the auto-parts store on my '04's tailgate from the day after I bought it. No one ever took the tailgate. Proof positive right there. haha

It developed some discoloring/surface rust over the years, but it never deteriorated beyond that. Had it on there for 11.5 years and I assume the new owner still has it on there.

K.I.S.S.?

-J

Old 06-12-2016, 06:47 PM
nogo73
Posting Guru
Flip the hardware around and bolt it back on so the easily removal is not an option. I saw it on a 1996 f150 in EL Paso seemed to work it still had the tailgate even though the rest of it was sand blasted from its time there.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:36 PM
I.B. Washincars
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I like it. Yes, it can be defeated, but the naysayers don't usually take into consideration that someone that steals tailgates is not a direct descendant of Einstein. They are looking for easy and quick. Anything they don't expect is going to throw them off, and most likely they won't be prepared for that obstacle. I would paint the cable and lock black so it may blend in with the bed and not be noticed, especially since it would most likely be dark. Did you put one on both sides?

Anything to make them move on to an easier target, while still maintaining the functionality of the truck is a good idea to me, especially when it's that cheap...good job.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:28 PM
TooHuge
Senior User
We have been using the hose clamp method forever. Never had a tailgate stolen.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:28 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
My 99 has the entire 2008+ rear end and I keep it locked along with the McGard hinge lock which is expensive hose clamp version. Has worked for the last couple years.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:39 AM
ntxford
New User
Ive got one that worked on my last truck. Two weeks after I bought it my dad used it to haul my brothers truck to the transmission shop. He forgot to latch the trailer and as they were loading it came off and punched a hole in the tailgate. He tried to get me to go get another but I couldn't make either one of us pay that much. Never gave another thought to someone stealing it after that. Ive also thought about stainless cables and torx bolts for the new one.

Last edited by ntxford; 06-13-2016 at 10:42 AM. Reason: add info
Old 06-13-2016, 11:55 AM
WyoBull
Laughing Gas
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
I like your idea. I ended up putting a Roll n Lock roll top cover on my new truck and locks directly to the tailgate. So, between locking the roll top cover and locking my tailgate I would hope that deterrent would be enough to send the methhead down the road!

Old 06-13-2016, 05:03 PM
cyncwby
Elder User
Thanks for the replys guys, like I said this is a deterent, not going to stop the crook if he has the time or the ***** to stand there in your driveway or parking lot and unbolt eveything.

Old 06-13-2016, 06:26 PM
Layson
Posting Guru
Read this....this guy has the best setup! It is a steel ring over the hinge.

Theft proof tailgate - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Old 06-13-2016, 09:35 PM
cyncwby
Elder User
Yea that's a great idea if you never take your tailgate off. I really don't want to go to that hassle when I remove my TG once a month or so when I tow my 5th wheel or remove the heavy TS3 hitch with my engine hoist. Now if I was traveling w/o the trailer then yes I would make one of those, probably going to make one anyway just to have on hand........

Old 06-15-2016, 09:06 AM
NWRVR
Junior User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My deterrent is a cable from a D-ring on the pivot for the stripper pole to the DiamondBack clamp. Hopefully, the DiamondBack lock will deter/stop or slow them down more than the FMC tailgate lock.

Attached Images  
Old 06-15-2016, 02:41 PM
JohnnyThunder
Senior User
I have a Jimmi Jammer Gate Keeper. Unless you have a big Torx wrench in your pocket the tail gate is not coming off.

Old 06-15-2016, 05:57 PM
Unclemark
Senior User
Drop one of these back there and nobody will bother your tailgate ever again.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:17 PM
1tonner
Junior User
Funny a lock on the inside but a phillips screw on the gate,too easy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tailgate theft "deterent" idea