6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

No power at working temperature

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 11:14 PM
BigGreenEx
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Got my new injector installed and motor reassembled this afternoon after work. It took about four cranks of approx. 10 seconds a piece to get it to fire off. Once running it ran like complete crap and scared the hell out of me, after letting it warm up a bit I gave it some throttle and it settled out, it did die a couple times though. I'm attributing that to the fact that I had air tested and I also had an injector that was clearing out the fuel and causing the original problem. Took it for a drive, country roads, up to 50 MPH for about 15 minutes. The longer I drove it the more it settled out.

I do have two concerns though:

1) It seems to be smoking from the exhaust more than it did before. When I give it throttle I actually get some black smoke coming out and it didn't do that before. When sitting at idle in the drive way the exhaust was actually burning my eyes, which it didn't do previously.

2) The turbo whistle does not appear to be consistent. The whistle seems to fluctuate in and out, the tone of it. I hope that makes sense.

If you have any ideas I would appreciate it. I really want to make sure that this thing is done and running correctly. I may just be a little gun shy at this point, but I'm nervous about sending my wife out in it right now. Thanks for all your help everyone. I have attached some photos of my Edge when I was out for the drive.

Approx. 50 miles an hour down flat side road at working temp.

47 MPH flat side road at working temp.

Sitting on road in front of house after drive.

Sitting on road in front of house after drive. (different PIDs)

Old 07-28-2016, 12:39 AM
C.Haight
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did it fix it? Was it just an injector? Did it take 45 min of shop air to find the leak?.... Did you end up doing the bubble test....? I Have some problems with mine and have been battling this thing for months now.... that's why I ask.... Thanks.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:46 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
If it was wet you may have some diesel in the kat and it will take a bit to
clear that out. After air testing they will run like crap. That also happens
if you have the oil rails off. One good way to avoid some of the air in the HPOP
problems is to take the starter solenoid wire and tap it to the + post stud that
the alternator cable bolts to and crank it over 3 times for about 30 seconds with
2 minutes between for cooling of the starter and if you have a charger have that
charging also. One way to keep the FICM happy.

Give it a little more time to see if it clears up.

Sean <BR>

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 07-28-2016, 01:27 AM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Your "after the drive" Temps tell me either it wasn't long enough drive or you have a bad thermostat. Operating temp is over 186 and you never reached it.
Now, anytime you pump air into the system or have it apart, first you need to allow the engine to warm up. Then on the test drive give it at least 5 Wide Open Throttle runs up to highway speeds. This works out the air in the system, both oil and fuel.
Your IPR & ICP readings @ idle are in spec.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:57 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
right there ^^^^^^ give it a couple blasts and then see how it does. Numbers look good, thermostat is bad.

Old 07-28-2016, 04:52 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
It took a LONG time for the cat on my Ex to clear. Get a Stat and get it up to temp and run the snot out of it. The kitty is going to run away from home ......SOON

Old 07-28-2016, 08:57 PM
BigGreenEx
Tuned
Thanks for all the help guys

Here is the daily update. I took the Ex for a 45 minute drive after work today. It idled a little rough at start up, but settled down after 30 seconds or so. I went on a drive that consisted of backroads and then I-5, a pretty consistent 45-65 mph. After getting the feedback on temps, I would have to agree that the thermostat is faulty and I will be replacing that part this weekend, most likely.

I am still concerned about the smoking though. I laid into it pretty heavy when getting on the freeway about four times. Real white smoke when idling and black smoke when getting on it. I have attached a some pictures, and hopefully a video (yeah, that didn't work, sorry) to get some more feedback.

At a stop light. That is my smoke blowing up past the passenger's side, I had to roll the window up.

After a 45 minute drive at idle. Do these numbers look better or are you still suspecting a faulty thermostat.

I'm pretty sure this is my Cat, I'm not sure how oil in this can cause smoke in my exhaust, but I'm open to ideas.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:12 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
After you replaced the one bad injector, did you retest to make sure you didn't have another bad one?

Old 07-28-2016, 09:16 PM
BigGreenEx
Tuned
Bubble tested, but no other tests.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:30 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
A bad inject would drip excess fuel into the exhaust its getting hot and burning off

it should start to slow down on the smoking

Why do you say oil was the down pipe showing Oil in it when separated from turbo??
Fuel mixed with Diesel soot will look like oil

It might be the case there is another bad injector if the bubble test isn't don't correct or in a way each cylinder is singled out and you have 2 bad inject one could be missed for the sake of being thuro I pull all glow plugs on the bad side and reinstall one GP at a time repeat bubble test then pull the GP out before moving to the next cylinder

Old 07-28-2016, 10:36 PM
BigGreenEx
Tuned
Originally Posted by BLADE35
Why do you say oil was the down pipe showing Oil in it when separated from turbo??

It might be the case there is another bad injector if the bubble test isn't don't correct or in a way each cylinder is singled out and you have 2 bad inject one could be missed for the sake of being thuro I pull all glow plugs on the bad side and reinstall one GP at a time repeat bubble test then pull the GP out before moving to the next cylinder
Not following the question from the first part of the response, sorry.
I will perform this test this weekend.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:49 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Originally Posted by BigGreenEx

I'm pretty sure this is my Cat, I'm not sure how oil in this can cause smoke in my exhaust, but I'm open to ideas.

the Oil is getting Hot and burning off inside the Cat causing smoke

BUT I think its Fuel in there from bad inject However turbo problems can leak oil into exhaust pipe so if indeed it is oil you have another issue

the way you describe the smoke it sounds like another bad inject but it could just be burning it off from the bad inject thet you just replaced

Old 07-28-2016, 11:02 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
IMO if it was RAW Fuel burning off in the exhaust I would expect it to burn off as Black/grey smoke maybe even white whatever color it should be more consistent of a color and NOT Change color per throttle position like it did with the bad inject

you posted that your still seeing white smoke at Idle and Black smoke at WOT what is Classic Failed inject symptom

Id repeat bubble test again
when I went thru this a month ago I did the bubble test and tested Each cylinder individually found and replace the Bad inject

After the inject was replaced before I buttoned the engine up I did another bubble test to make sure it passed and it did so put everything together and all was Good

When mine went I replaced the bad inject within 5-10 miles of it going bad ( as soon as I saw smoke) Truck was pulled out of service Immediately
One of the problems if a bad inject gets ran and pumps compression gas into fuel rail is it will KILL other inject in that side

If you fail a Bubble test again consider replacing the other 3 inject that side
And if it passes we can trouble shoot other systems if smoke continues after giving it a day or two to burn off any excess fuel what the bad inject dumped into exhaust system

Old 07-28-2016, 11:36 PM
BigGreenEx
Tuned
Originally Posted by BLADE35
the Oil is getting Hot and burning off inside the Cat causing smoke

BUT I think its Fuel in there from bad inject However turbo problems can leak oil into exhaust pipe so if indeed it is oil you have another issue

the way you describe the smoke it sounds like another bad inject but it could just be burning it off from the bad inject thet you just replaced
This was my bad attempt at sarcasm, I don't have a cat installed on the truck. The previous owner had it removed and gave it to me in the back of the truck.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:52 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by BigGreenEx
Bubble tested, but no other tests.
Ok. I think you need to check again now. It sounds like an injector is hanging open dumping raw fuel.

Quick Reply: No power at working temperature