6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Any regrets after lifting your truck?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 03:46 PM
Sullid01
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Any regrets after lifting your truck?

I am thinking about a 7in PMF lift kit and ICON shocks with 37" Toyo MTs - rims will probably be American Force 22x12. My truck is currently original stock in the suspension/wheel/ tire department.

Truthfully I have no great reason for doing this other than I do think it looks great. I have not done it yet bc I view it as a near complete waste of money. I have not towed anything and I really have no interest in the local muddin' thing (FL version of offroad).

I have 3.73 gears in back and have been told they should be OK with this arrangement.

So anyone have any thoughts or advice? Anything you regret? I know the set up I have picked out is pretty expensive but I want it to work, ride, and look great (otherwise I'll just leave well enough alone, like I have for the last 8 yrs).

Thanks for all inputs - Dan

Old 06-10-2016, 05:47 PM
tfunk88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts
I put a 5" lift and 35's on my Excursion...and now every day when I walk up to it I smile and think "Man that looks badass!" Been over a year and no regrets

Old 06-10-2016, 06:25 PM
J ballan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I've lifted five of my own trucks and never once have I said man that rides better now. Lol. but at the same time I keep doing it so I guess the looks and off road performance outways the negative things like stiffer ride and reduced towing capability.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:29 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by J ballan
I've lifted five of my own trucks and never once have I said man that rides better now. Lol. .

Haha Ya they ride Like $#!^

there harder to load if you haul with it

find an ez ride suspension

They are the most Badass looking trucks out there lifted

Old 06-10-2016, 07:04 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Fine, I'll be the oddball and admit I went back to stock. I went with a 2" leveling kit and F350 blocks to fit 35x12.50s on aftermarket wheels, would have done a real 4" but didn't want to spend that much. I wasn't happy with the wheels or the tires, so I went back to OEM wheels and almost the same size tire. I decided to drop the height back down because I didn't need it to clear the tires anymore with the tighter set factory wheels. Then I even dropped back to the original tire size when those wore out.

It was a practicality thing. The "it looks awesome" factor (and it DID look awesome!) was never enough for me, every time I tried to use the truck as a tool got frustrated with the toy aspect.

Looks awesome:

But more practical for me:

Old 06-10-2016, 07:23 PM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You gotta pay to play. There are lifts out there that will actually improve your ride quality and maintain towing capacity, but it has to do with the selection of all of the components like springs, shocks, wheels and tires. Nothing the OP wants to do is going to improve anything but looks and that's subjective. It's his truck though and we should all be lucky enough to spend that kind of dough. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:22 PM
MJMETHOW
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Four inch on my truck, good vision going down the road. But as the years go by I wonder about how nice it would be back to stock. lol Oil changes are easy with 5 gal. bucket and the lift.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:36 PM
J ballan
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by MJMETHOW
Four inch on my truck, good vision going down the road. But as the years go by I wonder about how nice it would be back to stock. lol Oil changes are easy with 5 gal. bucket and the lift.
Yes I hear that. No Jack stands required lol. Just hop on the creeper and roll on under. Heck some of my trucks I could sit down to remove bell housing bolts and such.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:44 PM
Sullid01
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think it is just one of those things I should get out of my system. I really like the way it looks. The fact that it is somewhat impractical adds to the appeal in a way - it won't even fit in the parking garage at one of my jobs. I'll be all set when FL is half under water from global warming.

I guess anytime you change something there will be some regret. I think I will just be smiling thinking that is one bada$$ truck. I'll post some pics when I am done - don't get too excited though - my projects have been known to take years (ask my wife).

Thanks for all the input. I mostly haul groceries and kids so I think I will be fine. Kids would not let me replace it so I might as well spice it up a bit

Old 06-10-2016, 08:52 PM
J ballan
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Sullid01
I think it is just one of those things I should get out of my system. I really like the way it looks. The fact that it is somewhat impractical adds to the appeal in a way - it won't even fit in the parking garage at one of my jobs. I'll be all set when FL is half under water from global warming.

I guess anytime you change something there will be some regret. I think I will just be smiling thinking that is one bada$$ truck. I'll post some pics when I am done - don't get too excited though - my projects have been known to take years (ask my wife).

Thanks for all the input. I mostly haul groceries and kids so I think I will be fine. Kids would not let me replace it so I might as well spice it up a bit
I 100% agree. I like the fact that my blacked out lifted Excursion is somewhat offensive. Lol that's the whole point.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:00 PM
tfunk88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by J ballan
I've lifted five of my own trucks and never once have I said man that rides better now. Lol. but at the same time I keep doing it so I guess the looks and off road performance outways the negative things like stiffer ride and reduced towing capability.
Interesting...mine rides way better than stock, and way more controlled...but I spent money on Fox adjustable shocks.

The truck WILL wander a bit more, though, with the wide tires.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:17 PM
J ballan
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by tfunk88
Interesting...mine rides way better than stock, and way more controlled...but I spent money on Fox adjustable shocks.

The truck WILL wander a bit more, though, with the wide tires.
Yes for sure. There are plenty of lifts out there that will ride good but I've never been able to afford one. Never mind custom four links with coil overs. I was just talking run of the mill budget lifts. Pro comp, Sky jacker and such.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:58 PM
Don Naslund
Laughing Gas
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
I imagine you will need scaffolding to work on the engine or a step ladder to check the oil.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:23 AM
TooHuge
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have also contemplated a lift. Maybe 4inches or so. But then I consider the fuel economy, towing, reaching my toolbox (which is already somewhat annoying), loading the bed, etc. I tow fairly regularly, I have 2 work trailers and a boat. But like others have said, it's an itch that might have to be scratched one of these days.

Old 06-11-2016, 07:21 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Benefits...looks good for a while.
Negatives...costs good money to do it right, rougher ride, worse mileage, really hard on stock suspension unless you upgrade, harder to climb in, towing challenges, turning radius rubbing.
Did I say it looks good?

Quick Reply: Any regrets after lifting your truck?