General Automotive Discussion

Question of the Week: Your thoughts on the Chevrolet anti-aluminum ad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 12:05 PM
bdpotts
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
if i wanted to dump things into the bed of my truck, i'd go buy a dump-truck.
if my truck were new?... i'd be using the bed liner.
lastly, i don't balance my toolbox on the bed rail. it goes on the tailgate.

what a thread.

Old 06-12-2016, 02:52 PM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by bdpotts

what a thread.
This was a Chevy commercial..

If they are stupid enough to buy a Chevy they are stupid enough to do things like that to their truck...

Old 06-14-2016, 09:03 AM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Those are pretty much my thoughts.

Old 06-14-2016, 01:33 PM
old farm truck
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rusty_Old_F250
This thoroughly scientific test will be handy for the next time I have 825 lbs of pavers dumped into the bed.
I ordered my f150 with the payload option and it'll hold over 2000 pounds. The newer ones with aluminum box can take a lot more.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:52 PM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 250 Likes on 177 Posts
Chevy is grasping at straws in hopes a few idiots will believe therir BS.

Some people will also believe that the holocaust never happened.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:44 PM
351 Charlie
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chevrolet getting desperate

Originally Posted by Patrick R.
Chevrolet has put together a new commercial showing the Ford F150 bed taking a beating from some paver bricks and a tool box.

We want to know your thoughts on this commercial...so let's hear them.
GM will be building aluminum bodied trucks just as soon as they can get the engineering work completed and the dies cast. Just like, well, FORD. GM has ALWAYS played "catch-up" and "Follow the leader" when it comes to Pick-up Trucks! Have you noticed they're introducing turbo-charged engines? You know, exactly the way, uh, FORD has done? How long has Ford had overhead cam and multi-valve V-8 engines, 15 years or more? GM is STILL using old-fashioned, cheaper OHV V-8's ! What type of V-8 design do you think GM will begin use? Perhaps an overhead cam, multi-valve type? You know, like, umm, FORD ? Hmmmm. Do we see a pattern here, or what? -351 Charlie

Old 06-18-2016, 05:27 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,218 Likes on 801 Posts
My wife saw the commercial the other day and raised an eyebrow. It will get the attention of the truck buyer who isn't digging deep like us.

Old 06-22-2016, 04:30 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by donjamer
All I have to say is it is a video and they can be edited to make them look legitimate..

The pavers used in the Chevy could have had the corners rounded a little or been lighter..

The Toolbox used on the Ford could have been full and the Chevy's empty..

Here is a good article about it..

General Motors' Recent F-150-Bashing Ad Is Laughable -- The Motley Fool

Also did you see the Honda ad that they did??

2017 Honda Ridgeline Throws its Hat Into the Truck Bed Durability Ring
As far as trucks go, if the idea of a 4 door V6 Rampage lights your fire, then by all means buy a Honda. If you want a truck, buy a Ford.

Old 06-24-2016, 05:07 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Rusty_Old_F250
This thoroughly scientific test will be handy for the next time I have 825 lbs of pavers dumped into the bed.

Not that that has happened before, but you never know.

Sam
What do you think happens with landscaper and contractors fleet trucks. They most definitely get loaded this way.

You really think that the workers are getting paid to load rock and brick one at a time?

Old 06-24-2016, 05:13 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 351 Charlie
GM will be building aluminum bodied trucks just as soon as they can get the engineering work completed and the dies cast. Just like, well, FORD. GM has ALWAYS played "catch-up" and "Follow the leader" when it comes to Pick-up Trucks! Have you noticed they're introducing turbo-charged engines? You know, exactly the way, uh, FORD has done? How long has Ford had overhead cam and multi-valve V-8 engines, 15 years or more? GM is STILL using old-fashioned, cheaper OHV V-8's ! What type of V-8 design do you think GM will begin use? Perhaps an overhead cam, multi-valve type? You know, like, umm, FORD ? Hmmmm. Do we see a pattern here, or what? -351 Charlie
And their V-8 is getting EB esq mpg... I guess they must be pretty dumb....

People want a V-8...with a tough bed. Not some Honda Ridgeline wanna be!

There is NOTHING magical about the aluminum body other than the current design isn't as strong as the previous generation. If it were it would have to be 3 times thicker than currently designed.

Old 06-25-2016, 06:56 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,218 Likes on 801 Posts
Originally Posted by superrangerman2002
And their V-8 is getting EB esq mpg... I guess they must be pretty dumb....

People want a V-8...with a tough bed. Not some Honda Ridgeline wanna be!

There is NOTHING magical about the aluminum body other than the current design isn't as strong as the previous generation. If it were it would have to be 3 times thicker than currently designed.

Well, well, now, you've made it through the F-150 forum bashing the ecoboost and the aluminum body to the superduty forum doing the same and now you've made your way down here and continuing to insult those who build and buy aluminum trucks and V-6 engines.

The 2016 F-150 is the only truck being built right now with a five star crash rating on all cab configurations.

The 2016 F-150 is the only American branded vehicle that Consumer reports predicts will last for 200,000 miles with minimal issues. Engine choices weren't specified as they all seem to be quite reliable.

There have been numerous posts in the F-150 forum about leaking third brake lights and leaking sat antennas allowing water to penetrate the cab and find it's way into the cab corners and ultimately rust them out. Ford refuses to help as the owner is out of warranty or the perforation can't b e proved as an inside out type of rust. Aluminum will mitigate this.

You've allowed a simple GM commercial to get into your head, Kudos to GM for some ingenious marketing.

I'd imagine that Ram will still build a truck for the purists after GM changes over.

Old 06-26-2016, 12:32 PM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 250 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by superrangerman2002
What do you think happens with landscaper and contractors fleet trucks. They most definitely get loaded this way.

You really think that the workers are getting paid to load rock and brick one at a time?
You need to find bettter equipment operators if they are not lowering the bucket as far as possible, anyone with a clue how to operate doesn't drop it as far as they can.....

Old 06-26-2016, 02:51 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Exactly, anyone who did that would probably get fired on the spot.

Old 07-05-2016, 02:08 PM
IIGood
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I only recently saw this commercial on TV and raised an eyebrow myself. I understand that aluminum is softer than the steel that was traditionally used before...but could the bed really "puncture" like they show in the ad, if it were to ever be subjected to such conditions?

If so, couldn't it go to say that if some utterly careless moron that parked next to a new F-150 in a parking lot really let their car door fly open into the door/fender of the truck, the same thing could possibly happen?

I want to believe the Ford engineers actually thought that through and wouldn't produce a vehicle that could so easily get holes punched in it...

Old 07-09-2016, 07:56 AM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by tseekins
Well, well, now, you've made it through the F-150 forum bashing the ecoboost and the aluminum body to the superduty forum doing the same and now you've made your way down here and continuing to insult those who build and buy aluminum trucks and V-6 engines.

The 2016 F-150 is the only truck being built right now with a five star crash rating on all cab configurations.

The 2016 F-150 is the only American branded vehicle that Consumer reports predicts will last for 200,000 miles with minimal issues. Engine choices weren't specified as they all seem to be quite reliable.

There have been numerous posts in the F-150 forum about leaking third brake lights and leaking sat antennas allowing water to penetrate the cab and find it's way into the cab corners and ultimately rust them out. Ford refuses to help as the owner is out of warranty or the perforation can't b e proved as an inside out type of rust. Aluminum will mitigate this.

You've allowed a simple GM commercial to get into your head, Kudos to GM for some ingenious marketing.

I'd imagine that Ram will still build a truck for the purists after GM changes over.

I'm a engineer that deals with metal fabrications and applications on a daily basis. I know and understand the design, metalurgy and application of the materials in use.

I grew up as a farm kid and former construction worker. The company I work for uses pickups to deliver smaller fabrications to contruction sites.

I build and restore engines as a hobby. Boosted gas engines = shorter life and lousy fuel economy under load.

The bed as designed in the F150 is not as strong as previous generations! It simply cannot be based on its limited thickness. It needs to be 3 times thicker than current to match the properties of the steel bed it replaced!

GM has simply confirmed what I've been stating for some time. You can agree or disagree how about how they did it, but the facts still remain.

Corrosion IS a problem with aluminum, especially if your cleaners and road clearing agents are slightly caustic. How do you think those spray on bug removers work so well?

My statements have always been based in upon design, and common metalurgy on 6xxx series aluminum principles.

Yet you choose to bash me because I'm speaking based on my materials testing experience.

Rust free 200000 mi working trucks with original equipment are the rule not the exception from all manufacturers. I you can see this at any used car lot.

It's those that live in city's that salt the crap out of the roads that have chassis and body rusting problems. I find it odd that this somehow the manufacturers problem. Aluminum bodied trucks will far a bit better but all of the underpinnings will not and fail even faster.

It's is you who is is being blinded fancy marketing my friend. I'm merely pointing it out.

I'm not so blind of a Ford fan that I'm incapable of calling a spade a spade instead of parroting bs statistics and marketing hyperbole.

Just think it's similar to the thickness of the bed.

I see Ford brought out rebates for the F150 ...makes you wonder if they are trying to divert attention away from their weak bed design.

Quick Reply: Question of the Week: Your thoughts on the Chevrolet anti-aluminum ad?