Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where the **** to I buy a downpipe for a N/A 7.3 IDI?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 11:30 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where the **** to I buy a downpipe for a N/A 7.3 IDI?

Can't find one anywhere. I want to maybe try a 3" down pipe if it'll fit, if not, I do want to replace the 2.5" downpipe simply because mine is rusty as all hell, along with the rest of my exhaust. Any idea, boys? Thanks!

Old 06-10-2016, 06:53 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
you can't. a down pipe is the pipe that comes out of the turbo. since you do not have a turbo, you do not have a down pipe. N/A engines use a "Y" pipe off the manifolds, just like a gas engine uses.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:06 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
you'll first need to install a used turbo kit if you want a down pipe.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:18 AM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tjc transport
you can't. a down pipe is the pipe that comes out of the turbo. since you do not have a turbo, you do not have a down pipe. N/A engines use a "Y" pipe off the manifolds, just like a gas engine uses.
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
you'll first need to install a used turbo kit if you want a down pipe.
Dang it! I guess I'm dumber than I thought, haha. Thanks for the info!

Old 06-10-2016, 09:32 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
they do just fine as N/A (which means naturally aspirated) for driving around like a car and even heavy hauling and towing on flat ground.really if i lived out west somewhere i wouldn't even bothered turbocharging mine.there would just be no need.you only want (need,anyway) the boost when pulling grades.
so if your happy with the performance,then just run 'er and enjoy it.good strong engines as is.should feel like a ford 300 on steroids.if it doesn't,then it needs a tune up (fresh ip,injectors,timing set)

for turbo install instructions;
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...iled-pics.html

that's all it takes is just 10 psi or so of boost (we have super high compression compared to modern diesels) to totally transform the truck and make it out pull n/a on the grades when loaded like a much,different truck.of course there's always people around willing to take your $ who claim this isn't anywhere near enough lol.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:34 AM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
they do just fine as N/A (which means naturally aspirated) for driving around like a car and even heavy hauling and towing on flat ground.really if i lived out west somewhere i wouldn't even bothered turbocharging mine.there would just be no need.you only want (need,anyway) the boost when pulling grades.
so if your happy with the performance,then just run 'er and enjoy it.good strong engines as is.should feel like a ford 300 on steroids.if it doesn't,then it needs a tune up (fresh ip,injectors,timing set)

It does sound like that! I absolutely love the sound of the engine without a muffler. The second you get onto it a bit, it sounds like a beefed up big block V8. That's why I wanted to get a bigger downpipe (I guess for N/A, it's a Y-Pipe) and a 3-4 inch exhaust throughout.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:44 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
you'll like the walker big truck muffler then.just a big,deep sound without the loud blat.might be quite enough for n/a.not sure.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:45 AM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
you'll like the walker big truck muffler then.just a big,deep sound without the loud blat.might be quite enough for n/a.not sure.
The only blat type sound I hear is every time the chamber combusts, there's this ugly loud *** sound and that's the only part I dislike about the trucks exhausts

Old 06-10-2016, 10:29 AM
GoinBoarding
Cargo Master
Received 161 Likes on 129 Posts

that's all it takes is just 10 psi or so of boost (we have super high compression compared to modern diesels) to totally transform the truck and make it out pull n/a on the grades when loaded like a much,different truck.of course there's always people around willing to take your $ who claim this isn't anywhere near enough lol.
Really? I would have thought the opposite, with our altitudes and loooong grades out west. Out east my 351w feels like a race truck compared to out here at 7'k and up. Is it the traffic that motivates a turbo?

Old 06-10-2016, 06:19 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by GoinBoarding
Really? I would have thought the opposite, with our altitudes and loooong grades out west. Out east my 351w feels like a race truck compared to out here at 7'k and up. Is it the traffic that motivates a turbo?
yeah my bad.i didn't mean up north though.south,west like Kansas,Oklahoma,Texas,New Mexico,Arizona etc.where it's just all flat land.you could tow whatever with ease with a N/A because there's no hills.
the only reason i installed turbo's on my trucks was because they would sloooooow way down climbing hills.never missed a beat on flat land.

Wyoming.what beautiful country.i plan on hitting Yellowstone this winter in my travels.not the best of times for such a park but gotta use the time ya got.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:06 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
If you like bison, Winter is the best time to go to Yellowstone. Remember, they're not cold.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:17 PM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 760 Likes on 542 Posts
Well, since we're falling down the OT rabbit hole...

Originally Posted by DieselCamper
Winter is the best time to go to Yellowstone. Remember, they're not cold.
And sadly, its best one should stay their *** on the walkways according to the news this week.

Gruesome hot spring death highlights problem of tourists breaking the rules at Yellowstone - LA Times

Nothing left to recover...

Old 06-10-2016, 10:19 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Scndsin
Well, since we're falling down the OT rabbit hole... And sadly, its best one should stay their *** on the walk ways according to the news this week.

Gruesome hot spring death highlights problem of tourists breaking the rules at Yellowstone - LA Times

Nothing left to recover...
I've lived in Montana for a year, and the thing I have to say about it, sadly, is that it's natural selection coming into play whittling down human overpopulation. It's depressing and may be looked at as cold-hearted, but it's true. Follow the damn directions, or you could end up dead.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:24 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
holy crap.talk about an easy way someone could dispose of a body then lol!

i saw people doing the same stupid stuff at the grand canyon.climbing over the railings and acting out.hundreds of feet! a split second slip,and it's all she wrote.it's a wonder more people don't die there too.

Originally Posted by DieselCamper
If you like bison, Winter is the best time to go to Yellowstone. Remember, they're not cold.
yeah but i see them in Oklahoma too.

Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge -2016

though,at least the grizzly bear should be hibernating.that means i might dare to take a hike lol.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:31 PM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 760 Likes on 542 Posts
Its every park, every where. Somebody trying to become a body & prove Darwin right.

Really love to see the original great western National Parks.

Quick Reply: Where the **** to I buy a downpipe for a N/A 7.3 IDI?