2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Twin HD Alternators

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 06:55 PM
Kenv
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by troverman
The combination of supplemental heater, snow plow pkg, and upfitters requires the dual alternators. However, it appears there are "dual heavy duty" alternators which is one step above "dual alternators" which gives you one standard and one heavy duty alternator. Some other packages may require it as well. I noticed this bump on my order.

I like the idea of more power, but obviously there is a slight fuel economy and power reduction with more drag on the engine.
LOL...Troverman....why in the heck would "Dual HD alternators" give me one heavy duty...and one standard one. Shouldn't DUAL HD alternators mean you are getting TWO Heavy Duty Alternators..??? I've seen stranger things.....

Old 06-16-2016, 10:31 PM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Kenv
LOL...Troverman....why in the heck would "Dual HD alternators" give me one heavy duty...and one standard one. Shouldn't DUAL HD alternators mean you are getting TWO Heavy Duty Alternators..??? I've seen stranger things.....
I would hope they would be the same thing. Like the idiots who design different size windshield wipers. Come-on, geeez. Have some pity on the owners.....I need an alternator. Uhh the one on the left....the vin # above or below what?.....The mounting hole is on the left.....No the connector doesn't match.....Like Chevy with starters for the 350: 3 bolt, 4 bolt flange to the left, flange to the right, solenoid on board, no solenoid but special contacts, oh you wanted the two bolt one. We don't have any but try Pontiac (RIP) down the street. They might have one which will match.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:34 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by Kenv
Well, based upon the order guide, here is what I come up with: the extra heavy duty alternator on the 6.7L is 220A. The standard alternator is 157A. Added together is the 377A which is your rated output. Make sense now?

Old 06-17-2016, 07:09 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
I am curious if there will ever be a draw of 377 amps. Even fully discharged batteries do not take full amperage from the alternator. I know my camper can only draw 30 amps on its charging circuit limited by the truck distribution/fuse panel. Not much when the batteries are low after a week of cloudy weather off grid.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:39 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Rasalas
I am curious if there will ever be a draw of 377 amps. Even fully discharged batteries do not take full amperage from the alternator. I know my camper can only draw 30 amps on its charging circuit limited by the truck distribution/fuse panel. Not much when the batteries are low after a week of cloudy weather off grid.
I think if you had all your 6 upfitters hooked up and operating at max capacity, you had a trailer using full capacity, the truck had just started and was using supplemental heat, headlights all on, front and rear heated seats on, operating a plow or winch, etc...you might use most of it.

The important point to remember is that an alternator can only generate that amperage during ideal temperature and RPM conditions. So during very hot conditions and idling, 377A might be half of that.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:46 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
It will be interesting to see if the glow plugs still dim the headlights. The headlights on the '01 with a 110 amp come up after about 4 minutes when the glow plugs shut down.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:00 AM
troverman
Hotshot
It will be interesting to see if the glow plugs still dim the headlights. The headlights on the '01 with a 110 amp come up after about 4 minutes when the glow plugs shut down.
The headlights are not dim during glow plug operation on my 2016. In cold weather, not only are the GPs running but also the urea tank and lines are being heated, along with heated seats, supplemental heat, heated rear window, heated mirrors, headlamps, fog lamps, trailer lights / batt / brakes, and audio system.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:14 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by troverman
The headlights are not dim during glow plug operation on my 2016. In cold weather, not only are the GPs running but also the urea tank and lines are being heated, along with heated seats, supplemental heat, heated rear window, heated mirrors, headlamps, fog lamps, trailer lights / batt / brakes, and audio system.
Lot of electric being used. Even more options now with cameras and computers although the resistance heat and incandescent lighting are the big draws. Imagine a Chevy Volt with that much draw? Wouldn't make it to the corner.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:59 AM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I like the idea of having a redundant alternator for reliability.

BTW, the higher output alternator doesn't hurt fuel mileage. The load the alternator puts on the engine is directly related to its current output at any given time, not it's rated output.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:27 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
If you read the Build and Price Alternator section it reads:
"Dual Heavy Duty Alternator" No "s" on the end. I asked chat about it and she will get back within 5 days. Standard on 6.7 SD is now dual alternators.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:45 AM
Kenv
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you read the Build and Price Alternator section it reads:
"Dual Heavy Duty Alternator" No "s" on the end. I asked chat about it and she will get back within 5 days. Standard on 6.7 SD is now dual alternators.
Good catch Rasalas....I bet that's it...I just looked in the guide also and it does not have an "s" on the end....So I believe Troverman is correct with the combination of output with one regular and one heavy duty to give you the "Dual Extra Heavy Duty Alternator" option.... 67B in the guide.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:30 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 2009kr
BTW, the higher output alternator doesn't hurt fuel mileage. The load the alternator puts on the engine is directly related to its current output at any given time, not it's rated output.
There is a small amount of extra drag generated by spinning the alternator fan, shaft, and windings. Pretty negligible especially on a diesel. However, both alternators will be generating "some" power at all times, even if they are sharing the load.

I like the dual alternators too.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:21 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Rutcutter
Yea I hope its more powerful as I had one in my 11' and you could barely feel it,wasn't worth the money imop..
I couldn't tell if the supplement heats works or not on my truck.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:52 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,183 Likes on 568 Posts
I can on mine. It blows warmish air within 30 seconds of starting in the winter. It never bows hot like the heat does as there is just too much air volume passing too quickly past the heating element. But, it's better than nothing...