Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

FiTech

Old 06-09-2016, 10:13 AM
1978crewcab
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FiTech

I know Heliguy just put one on his truck during rebuild but has anyone had any running experience with it yet, any reviews?

Old 06-09-2016, 10:57 AM
monkey-1
Laughing Gas
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by 1978crewcab
I know Heliguy just put one on his truck during rebuild but has anyone had any running experience with it yet, any reviews?

Anxious about this too. Been looking at these and curious about one for my truck.

Also looking at the Holley Sniper, but feel like the Fitech is better bang for the buck.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:31 AM
kegger66
More Turbo
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
X3 on the interest in how the Fitech does

Old 06-09-2016, 03:12 PM
crazy96863
Cargo Master
Received 91 Likes on 55 Posts
I personally think the sniper setup is cleaner... It looks better made as far as aesthetics are concerned. After much deliberation between all the EFI options, I decided that there simply isn't enough bang for the buck over a good carb. I am going with an edelbrock off-road thunder series carb due to its simplicity, reliability, and cost. Forget all the fuel system bs... On that note, I think the Fitech fuel canister thing is rediculous. A nod to the sniper on that one. It will take decades of fuel savings to make up the difference in cost for an EFI over a carb setup.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:59 PM
COFLHTK
Mountain Pass
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Hoping to get my install finished up in the next two weeks. I'll let ya know how it runs after that.

Old 07-19-2016, 01:26 PM
Joshhighboy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just installed a Fitech 600hp model on my '77 F250 with a 460. Well worth the money! The main reason I went with EFI is because the truck is my daily and I dont feel like babysitting the carb on the cold New Hampshire mornings in the winter.

The kit was very simple to install and had everything needed from start to finish. It is a very well designed kit. I did go with the fuel pump canister for the simple reason I did not feel like running all new fuel lines from 2 gas tanks and running a return line. Honestly if I were to do it again, I'd probably spend the extra time running the new lines. The canister pump is bulky and the pump is a little noisy. The startup is also very simple, plug in a couple settings and my truck fired right off. Total installation time with me and my buddy was about 3 - 4 hours.

The first thing I noticed is the quick throttle response and also way more power. Part of that may be due to the fact that my 460 only had a 600cfm edelbrock carb on it so I'm sure it was choking my power down. The fitech is very smooth and now the truck pulls strong through any rpm range.

I only have a couple small complaints. One being the mounting bracket for the computer. It seems like an afterthought and I didnt even end up using it, I made my own. Also the injection is a little noisy. It has a loud hissing noise, even at idle. I'm guessing from all the small injector holes. I know there isn't really anything they can do about the noise but I figured I'd give anyone interested in buying one a heads up.

All in all, I love the upgrade! And I have a feeling I'll love it even more in the winter. I feel this was well worth the money. I dont have any experience with other aftermarket EFI setups, but I cant see how much better they could make this system. And you cant beat the price!

Old 07-19-2016, 03:18 PM
monkey-1
Laughing Gas
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts
Saving my pennies and planning on doing this mod as soon as funds allow. I will be installing all new lines and bypassing the canister. Keep us updated as you put more miles on this setup and report back. Thanks!

Old 07-19-2016, 04:15 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Thanks for the feedback in the FiTech... I'm looking at that system for my 73 4x4.

I've got the E-Street in my 2WD Bump and its driveability, cold start, and idle is great. The marginal increase in MPG is nice too.

If it's pure dollars and cents, then the payback is waaaaay long for an EFI. However, what you get in return is better starting and throttle response.... and fewer headaches due to a carbureted set up that seems to always need a lil tweaking. Plus on a 4x4, getting the rig on a tilt can wreak havoc on float orientation.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:57 PM
resonateur
Fleet Mechanic
Received 114 Likes on 83 Posts
Thanks, Josh for the update. After reading a lot of feedback on all the systems available, it seems that the FiTech unit is, indeed, the best value. Plus, they are about to release, or may already have, a lower horsepower unit that's about the same money as a good carb. Since I'm working on a frame-off, I've already got my tank FI ready and will run the dual fuel lines. As far as payback....who cares...there's a reason all modern vehicles are fuel injected, and have been for many years....I'm certainly not one of those who can tune a carb to ultimate performance. Much as I hate to admit....let the computer do it.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:09 AM
Jrgunn5150
Laughing Gas
Received 246 Likes on 164 Posts
I'm also interested in FiTech, or some simple EFI. I won't be making gianormous power or anything, but I do want the driveability

Old 07-20-2016, 07:37 AM
hivoltj
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
I'm just finishing my install and hitting the road for a 1,000 plus mile road trip this weekend. Stay tuned. Very easy to install, most my issues stemmed from using it for timing control and installing a fuel pump in the tank. The EFI unit itself only needed a few wires. I used the old choke wire for a key hot and hooked the battery wire to the solenoid.

If u have a C6 you'll need a kick down cable setup, which adds to the install time

Old 07-20-2016, 08:57 AM
lafermedavid
Cargo Master

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts
does it work on a carbureted intake?or do you need a efi intake?

Old 07-20-2016, 09:42 AM
Heliguy
Senior User
Nice! Glad you like it. As far as going with the fuel commander, I think you went the right route. Running the fuel lines for the frame mounted pump is the easy part, making a new pickup tube tube that is 3/8s or larger was a HUGE PITA!!! I struggled with that for days and ended up going with one of Holly's HydroMats but still dont know it will work. Ill be using the commander on my '77 f150 for sure.

I have yet to really drive mine but should get it on the road this weekend. I am now just finishing up the cab and have a glass place coming out Friday to put in the new windshield and then the cab will be 100% complete!

Thanks for the review.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:44 AM
Heliguy
Senior User
Originally Posted by lafermedavid
does it work on a carbureted intake?or do you need a efi intake?

Works with any 4 barrel intake. I have an Edlebrock performer and worked great.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:37 AM
resonateur
Fleet Mechanic
Received 114 Likes on 83 Posts
So, hivoltj...there's no accomodating the C6 kickdown rod, but there is a place to mount a cable setup?? Which cable did you use? Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FiTech