2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Auto 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 11:51 AM
supeRobertduty
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I can't explain the first picture but If you look at the picture of super duty dash it only has three positions , Not four like the f150. no A4 option. The picture is a mistake.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:54 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,194 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by supeRobertduty
I can't explain the first picture but If you look at the picture of super duty dash it only has three positions , Not four like the f150. no A4 option. The picture is a mistake.

All the early pictures show three positions. Just like all the current ratings are placeholders. You don't think Ford has the ability to hide something until release? The trucks you are seeing in press photos are "pre-production and subject to change"... But who knows, maybe it's all a mistake. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:11 PM
EightySecond
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So is the 4-A position something I'd leave on when it's raining or snowing? Would I need to keep it under a certain mph?

Old 06-09-2016, 03:13 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,194 Likes on 573 Posts
On most vehicles you can leave it on year round if you like at the cost of fuel mileage. Kind of like an AWD system. Seeing as though we have no idea if this is real or details, your guess is as good as mine on this one though...

Old 06-09-2016, 11:06 PM
MrOzMan
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EightySecond
So is the 4-A position something I'd leave on when it's raining or snowing? Would I need to keep it under a certain mph?
You could, but there wouldn't be any real benefit in the rain. In patchy snow would be good. It's just the same as 4 High, but it allows some slip to prevent damage. It's not the same as AWD.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:15 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Better than auto 4wd all the time I guess. I always hated every vehicle I ever driven with with auto 4wd, clunk.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:38 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
First off, we can't confirm if the new Super Duty actually has 4A or not.

However, if it does, there are many, many variations to 4A. Some literally use the ABS sensors to detect the rear wheels spinning and the front wheels not; thereby engaging the electrically shifted transfer case. Clunky and slow, and can cause binding during turns. Some are much better, using a multi-plate clutch between the front shaft and front shaft output in the transfer case. This can instantly add and remove power to the front. Very similar to the 2017 Raptor system...but can also be locked in as needed. Other systems include a full center differential with an electric lock as "4-Hi / 4-Low."

You can leave 4A engaged year round. On a Super Duty with locking hubs, it would seem the hubs would need to be engaged at all times 4A is selected in order to be effective. However, this would impact gas mileage by maybe 1mpg.

We will have to wait and see. A true AWD vehicle like an Audi, Subaru, Range Rover, etc simply never slips. They use a center differential and it is very effective for rapidly changing conditions as well as snowy / slippery / off road driving. Our pickups have always been part-time 4x4, so either engaged or not. Lots of times in changing conditions 4x4 is inappropriate or only needed briefly. AWD would be nice.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:12 AM
MrOzMan
Junior User
Yeah there are lots of ways to do 4x4/AWD with various t-case and PTU setups, but I was explaining how it works in the regular F150, Silverado 1500, and Ram 1500. Yep, the Raptor will be getting a different version. I would love a 4A that works like Ford's Intelligent 4x4 system, which is similar to how it works in a Jeep Rengade, Chrysler 300, and Dodge Charger. That is driving in 2wd until torque is needed to be sent to the opposite axle for added traction. Just can't see it happening. I would be surprised to see any 4A setting on a Super Duty, but hope I am wrong. If it does, I would bet money it will be the simpler design that I mentioned previously, where the t-case sends a constant 50/50 torque split to the front and rear, t-case also allowing slip (acting as a center differential, without it actually having one).

Old 06-10-2016, 08:25 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by MrOzMan
Yeah there are lots of ways to do 4x4/AWD with various t-case and PTU setups, but I was explaining how it works in the regular F150, Silverado 1500, and Ram 1500. Yep, the Raptor will be getting a different version. I would love a 4A that works like Ford's Intelligent 4x4 system, which is similar to how it works in a Jeep Rengade, Chrysler 300, and Dodge Charger. That is driving in 2wd until torque is needed to be sent to the opposite axle for added traction. Just can't see it happening. I would be surprised to see any 4A setting on a Super Duty, but hope I am wrong. If it does, I would bet money it will be the simpler design that I mentioned previously, where the t-case sends a constant 50/50 torque split to the front and rear, t-case also allowing slip (acting as a center differential, without it actually having one).
F-150 4A setting is better than the old clunky GM systems. The 300 and Charger systems have way too many parameters which can fail and cause the AWD to not function (temp must be below a certain level, wipers must be on, etc, etc.) Jeep Fiat Renegade is a total pile of junk.

I agree if the Super Duty comes with a 4A (which would also surprise me if it did at all) will be a simpler system. I disagree that 4A would supply power to the front and wheel all the time...I think it would be more like the GM design where the electric motor rapidly engages and disengages when ABS detects slippage of the wheels.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:52 AM
MrOzMan
Junior User
Have you had a chance to try out the power display in a current F150? I can't remember Ford's name for it, but you can see the torque transfer as you accelerate. In 2H it shows the rear wheels lighting up, in 4H and 4A it does exactly the same thing: All 4 wheels light up as you apply throttle. The Expedition has the ABS system you are talking about. I don't think it changes anything from front-to-rear transfer, but rather improves traction from left-to-right in place of a mechanical locker or limited slip differential. If the left wheel has almost no traction, it will apply braking to that wheel so that torque is transferred to the right wheel. I believe the transfer case in the Expedition is the same as the F150, just sending the 50/50 torque split in 4A and 4H.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:58 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by MrOzMan
Have you had a chance to try out the power display in a current F150? I can't remember Ford's name for it, but you can see the torque transfer as you accelerate. In 2H it shows the rear wheels lighting up, in 4H and 4A it does exactly the same thing: All 4 wheels light up as you apply throttle. The Expedition has the ABS system you are talking about. I don't think it changes anything from front-to-rear transfer, but rather improves traction from left-to-right in place of a mechanical locker or limited slip differential. If the left wheel has almost no traction, it will apply braking to that wheel so that torque is transferred to the right wheel. I believe the transfer case in the Expedition is the same as the F150, just sending the 50/50 torque split in 4A and 4H.
All the trucks have traction control which will help control left-right slip if no rear locker is engaged or present.

I'm not sure how much the power flow screen can be trusted with the 4A. Ford would like you to think 4A = AWD but it really does not.

Have not looked at the power flow screen in 4WD because it is summer right now.

Old 06-10-2016, 02:44 PM
supeRobertduty
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
If they were adding a all wheel drive feature to the super duty it would be highlighted in the new product features in the order guide. Ford is not going to hide this feature it's not that revolutionary. Maybe it comes on the platinum? But I honestly think it's just a mistake and they'll be no A4 option on the superduty.

Old 06-10-2016, 02:58 PM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
All the trucks have traction control which will help control left-right slip if no rear locker is engaged or present...
I wish that was the case. The dually trucks don't have real traction control. They just cut the engine back.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:11 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 2009kr
I wish that was the case. The dually trucks don't have real traction control. They just cut the engine back.
Right...that is true.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:46 AM
EightySecond
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by supeRobertduty
If they were adding a all wheel drive feature to the super duty it would be highlighted in the new product features in the order guide. Ford is not going to hide this feature it's not that revolutionary. Maybe it comes on the platinum? But I honestly think it's just a mistake and they'll be no A4 option on the superduty.

I am leaning towards this logic too. Makes perfect sense that they would have it in the order guide if it was true.

Quick Reply: Auto 4WD