2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Engineering trick or are these aluminum beds that crappy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 09:49 PM
Ancona
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 06-11-2016, 04:47 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
It'll be interesting to see if Ford answers back with a "shot across the bow" to attempt to dispel this ad or redirect our attention to a GM weakness. Or, will they just answer back with a sales leadership slogan. Hmm, can't wait for this one.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:26 AM
Jus Cruisin
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tom
Not doubting you, but can you post a source for that?
Autoweek. I can't copy and paste a link to the article with this tablet I use.

Old 06-11-2016, 07:11 AM
Len Ford
New User
Forbes Article "Chevy Pokes Holes..."

here's the article...

Forbes Welcome

My take on this: Chevy has shown that under certain conditions, their bed is more puncture resistant than Ford's. I know the bed on my 2006 Chevy has held up well. However, their demonstration was not real world for the way I use a truck. What is real world is how rust resistant the bed is and what the fuel savings are due to the lighter weight.
I'd never let anyone "dump" a load like that in any truck I own, so none of this matters. And if I'm setting tool boxes on the top of my fender (instead of the tailgate for instance) I'm probably not going to care too much about what my bed looks like.
Nice try Chevy.

Last edited by Len Ford; 06-11-2016 at 08:13 AM. Reason: added my opinion (for what it's worth)
Old 06-11-2016, 07:29 AM
Jus Cruisin
Senior User
^^^^^ That article doesn't give the specifics on the number of tests, results and weights.

Old 06-11-2016, 07:36 AM
Jus Cruisin
Senior User
I was able to cut & paste the Autoweek report.

Chevy takes on the best-selling pickup in new marketing campaign

Once again, Chevrolet is turning its guns on the Ford F-150, and this time it means business. Chevy’s aim is the aluminum bed of the F-150, and in a couple tests (of Chevy’s choice) it comes out as the clear winner between the two.

The goal of the tests run is to show the superiority of the Silverado’s roll-formed high-strength steel bed over the stamped aluminum of the F-150. They start out by dropping 825 pounds of landscaping blocks from 5 feet above each bed. This, of course, damages both beds, but leaves the F-150 a little more “holey” than the Silverado. Chevrolet claims to have run the test 12 times and not one of them produced more than dents and scratches to their bed. On the other hand, Ford’s bed received an average of 4.3 punctures per drop. While this experiment certainly tests the strength of the materials, we hope you don’t go around dropping 825 pounds of concrete blocks from height into your truck bed regularly.

Something you might experience on a regular basis is the next comparison test. This time they shoved a 28-pound handheld toolbox off the rails of each truck. With every shove, they made sure a corner of the toolbox hit the bed first so as to provide the sharpest of impacts. The F-150 received a puncture in the bed in all but one of the 14 tests they ran, and the Silverado bed finally relented to a pinhole puncture on the last two of the 14 trials.

Chevy claims this isn’t an attack on Ford and aluminum, but it’s hard to watch the video and believe a word of that claim. Rumors from last year also point to the next Silverado sporting a fair bit of aluminum as well, so we wonder if the marketing team is talking to the engineers. Regardless, the truck wars wage on; let’s wait and see what Ford punches back with.

Read more: Silverado versus F-150 truck bed strength

Old 06-11-2016, 10:34 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
It'll be interesting to see if Ford answers back with a "shot across the bow" to attempt to dispel this ad or redirect our attention to a GM weakness. Or, will they just answer back with a sales leadership slogan. Hmm, can't wait for this one.

Not sure how Ford is going to spin this one. They already did their bed durability video on the aluminum bed in two separate video's, but the GM video was a punch below the belt for sure.

Old 06-11-2016, 10:36 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess I'm just too lazy to lift my tool box up to load it via the bedrails, I find it much more convenient to open the tailgate, I guess that's too many moving parts for GM drivers!
Seriously, I have never purchased any vehicle based solely on a commercial and any competitor's ad will be biased........can't wait to see how GM spins their aluminum bodied trucks

Old 06-11-2016, 10:56 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by RigTrash601
I guess I'm just too lazy to lift my tool box up to load it via the bedrails, I find it much more convenient to open the tailgate, I guess that's too many moving parts for GM drivers!
Seriously, I have never purchased any vehicle based solely on a commercial and any competitor's ad will be biased........can't wait to see how GM spins their aluminum bodied trucks

After this video you can bet GM won't be using aluminum on the bed interior. Having said that they never did say they were going entirely over to aluminum but to use lighter materials where they made sense.

Old 06-11-2016, 10:57 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Old 06-12-2016, 05:59 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by Troy Buenger
What I do like here is that Ford didn't resort to exploiting another's weakness(es) to show it's strengths.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:25 AM
Larietpsd
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
They don't need to

Old 06-12-2016, 09:45 AM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
You guys do realize that the amount of energy it to to make those holes in the bed was only a measly 35 joules of energy?

Wanna know what else and deliver 35 joules of energy? 3/4" to 1 1/4" hail.

I wouldn't reccomend riding out an hail storm in your pretty aluminum truck....

I can tell by the comments that most haven't been to the local quarry to pick materials with a pickup or use their bed for more than a few grocery bags. Might as well own a SUV with a small trailer.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:49 AM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
What I do like here is that Ford didn't resort to exploiting another's weakness(es) to show it's strengths.

Oh please you must not watch the ford commercials.

Remember the whole bed bolt issue a few years ago?

Old 06-12-2016, 10:02 AM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
I haven't used many different spray-in bedliners, but I have had two trucks with Line-X liners. And that stuff is TOUGH; I have no doubt it would have prevented the puncture damage. Substantial strength improvement compared to the bare painted metal, which I have now.
Agreed....

Quick Reply: Engineering trick or are these aluminum beds that crappy?