2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Engineering trick or are these aluminum beds that crappy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 05:52 PM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by 1saxman
Bedliner spray could not possibly prevent the damage shown. All the dents and holes would still be there. A thick corrugated drop-in bed liner probably would prevent most of that damage. A piece of plywood of at least 1/2" would too, except for the side walls. But you have to ask yourself; what kind of idiot would let somebody dump sharp-pointed stone or concrete shapes into the unprotected cargo box of a new expensive pickup truck?
That "idiot" would be GM and those who use and abuse their trucks.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:20 PM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
I've seen many new truck owners who overestimate how tough a truck is. The first load that leaves the bed looking beat up and bad is usually all it takes for them to be more careful loading in the future.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:50 PM
Larietpsd
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Frantz
Using a bare bed like that is not the designed use. You need a bedliner. If you disagree, then you would have to say that the 3.5 base motor is defective because it can't tow 12k. You're not buying a commuter car (well, some of you are). Options change what the tool does. Not using the right options and blaming the tool make you look silly.
Well said!!

Old 06-09-2016, 10:30 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 963 Likes on 762 Posts
Originally Posted by twigsV10
And seriously has anyone actually dumped a load of anything of significant size in the bed of their truck????? I don't care what the beds made out if it's going to get damaged, that's what heavy dump beds are for....

This. My rule is if it takes machinery to load it'll take machinery of some type to unload, meaning whatever box you dump a pile of rocks/gravel/bricks into better have a dump feature on it because I have no interest in unloading it by hand. So as much as this is good exploitation on GMs part it also simply doesn't matter to a majority of new 1/2 ton truck buyers who will never carry anything more hazardous than a couple baby seats or a set of golf clubs.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:15 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by superrangerman2002
Amazing to me that you guys think that test is considered abusive! What do you think happens on job sites and farms across the US!!!

Believe it or not having a tool box fall off the bed of a truck is not uncommon! I have had it happen to my SD. A 40 lb tool box on a bed rail happens all the time!

Believe it or not there are people that actually use their trucks as designed and sure as heck don't expect to have treat the box with kid gloves!

Also GM is not changing their beds to aluminum.

I don't have a problem with body panels being aluminum, but a bed is, was and always will be a terrible design! If Ford stays aluminum they better make the bed a heck a lot thicker!

Clever marketing! Rofl! Pretty sad when real world application is considered clever marketing.
Is this speculation or did you find thris info somewhere?

Old 06-10-2016, 05:34 AM
Excelerater
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
drop in bed liner,prob solved...

I got my dealer to throw one in my truck free as part of my deal

Old 06-10-2016, 10:07 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts
I wonder how many Ford trucks GM had to buy before they found this "weakness"?

And seriously has anyone actually dumped a load of anything of significant size in the bed of their truck????? I don't care what the beds made out if it's going to get damaged, that's what hevy dump beds are for....
Excellent point. This is a pickup truck, not a dump truck. You dump rocks and other crap into a dump truck. If you want to dump rocks and blocks into your truck, I consider that kind of a Bubba move. As in "Hey Bubba, watch this!" Actually, isn't that kind of an ironic epitaph?

Old 06-10-2016, 12:10 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by 1saxman
what kind of idiot would let somebody dump sharp-pointed stone or concrete shapes into the unprotected cargo box of a new expensive pickup truck?

I have to say I'm in the group who agree's with this point made. I would never treat my 2011 F-150 that way, but I do have a 1991 F-250 with a spray in bed liner AND rubber bed mat that I would have no issue doing this with, and have in the past. Hauled loads of rock in exceeding the limits of the truck without issue.

Old 06-10-2016, 02:14 PM
AKHunter93
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can almost guarantee that the bed is not made of 5000 series aluminum.

First off, 5000 series aluminum is work hardenable. What this means is that via the rolling/stamping process of making a truck bed, the aluminum would become brittle. Stronger, yes, but brittle.

5000 series aluminum is also not easily heat treated, which is done to these aluminum beds after they're formed to relive internal stresses caused by the forming process.

Also, according to this article published on a Ford dealer website, Ford used primarily 6000 series aluminum.

Why The Aluminum F-150 Is Stronger Than Steel | 2015 F-150 | Muzi Ford Boston MA

Originally Posted by Frdtrkrul
Maybe the aluminum isn't very thick in the bed... But how many people really drop that many concrete blocks in a truck like that? Ford won't disclose what alloy they are using in the trucks...and probably won't if you have to weld a hole in it or weld stuff to the bed. If I had to guess, it's 5000 series Aluminum Alloy.

Old 06-10-2016, 02:17 PM
AKHunter93
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Conanski
This. My rule is if it takes machinery to load it'll take machinery of some type to unload
Ahh, no, it won't...

meaning whatever box you dump a pile of rocks/gravel/bricks into better have a dump feature on it because I have no interest in unloading it by hand.
You would be shocked at how much work is done this way.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:49 PM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Watch the video again at the toolbox test, is it just me or does he really put his back into lifting an "empty" toolbox? It looks like he grunted to me.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:52 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Maybe it was a really thick toolbox?

I generally take commercials at face value. If they fudged the test, which would be easily proven, they would lose far more than they ever made in the ensuing legal action. Combine that with the bad PR that comes with it and you have quite a risk that I don't think any sane advertiser would take.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:06 PM
Jus Cruisin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Watch the video again at the toolbox test, is it just me or does he really put his back into lifting an "empty" toolbox? It looks like he grunted to me.
The toolbox weighed 28lbs. It was tipped into both F150 and Chevrolet box 14 times. 14holes in the Ford, 12 dents and 2 pinholes in the Chevy.

Oops, I missed while reading....13 out 14 resulted in holes in the F150.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:05 PM
rem722
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you buy GM over Ford because of this ad you probably believe in the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus too.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:13 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin
The toolbox weighed 28lbs. It was tipped into both F150 and Chevrolet box 14 times. 14holes in the Ford, 12 dents and 2 pinholes in the Chevy.
Not doubting you, but can you post a source for that?

Quick Reply: Engineering trick or are these aluminum beds that crappy?