wing vent glass question - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

wing vent glass question

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-07-2016, 09:26 PM
Post Fiend

abe is a splendid one to beholdabe is a splendid one to beholdabe is a splendid one to beholdabe is a splendid one to beholdabe is a splendid one to beholdabe is a splendid one to beholdabe is a splendid one to behold
wing vent glass question

I have this standard cab wing vent which means it is painted black not stainless. I have had it for at least 17 years. The metal is good. The glass is the original FoMoCo and is in good shape. However, the pivot is broken off:
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

Question: can the glass be taken out intact so I can put an pivot in and then replace the glass? I seem to think not. My buddy says maybe you can heat the vent and then pull the glass out. I think that would crack the glass.

It would be nice to have FoMoCo glass in the vent. I am a stocker but I am not so ****-retentive that I have to have original glass.

What do you think?

abe
FTE member since March '98
1954 F-100, bought from Grandpa in 1977 for $200, "Old Betsy" as named by my son.
1955 F-350 flatbed, purchased 4/23/16, Jimmy, as named by my wife.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:38 PM
Elder User

Scotty's 52 F3 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Scotty's 52 F3 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I put my glass in a vice between two pieces of wood and gently pulled the vent frame right off. Came off easy but, maybe I was just lucky.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:29 AM
Postmaster

Doc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to behold
Put some penetrant oil or something down in that frame and start gently tugging at it. You'll get it out.
1950 F-5 John Deere Truck
2011 F150 FX4, 3.5L Ecoboost
2015 Expedition EL 3.5L Ecoboost
Old 06-08-2016, 06:53 AM
Freshman User

WDB3-F1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.WDB3-F1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yes, it is possible to get out without breaking. Like Doc said you definetly need a lubricant in the channel. Let it sit for a bit then gradually pull it. Be careful not to put too much pressure on the metal as I've found the hard way, sometimes the glass will take more pressure than the frame.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:28 AM
Elder User

jvmcc has a very good reputation on FTE.jvmcc has a very good reputation on FTE.jvmcc has a very good reputation on FTE.jvmcc has a very good reputation on FTE.
I did exactly the same thing a few months ago. Overall, it was not a bad experience, or put another way, I didn't break anything and eventually got everything back together and working properly. Work a penetrating oil or mineral spirits gently between the glass and setting tape using a thin putty knife. Heat doesn't hurt, but don't overheat the plastic between the two laminated glass panes if the glass is going to be reused. The trickiest part for me was finding a way to hold the frame securely to some sort of anvil when you hammer the flare in the top of the rivets that secure the pivot. I found that I had to increase the depth of the recess in the brass rivet ever so slightly to get it to flare enough to tightly hold the pivot. I do not know if this problem was something to do with the rivets or the flaring punch. The flaring punch and rivets that I used I bought from Mid Fifty. Also, I found that I had to file the rivet head a little bit to get it to sit nicely in its hole on the outside of the frame. This also helped get a solid riveted connection for the pivot. I used mineral spirits to lubricate the setting tape for the re-installation. I found that I had to keep the glass pushed in tightly into the frame with electrical tape until the mineral spirits had time to dissipate. Without something to hold that glass tightly in place, it tends to want to squeeze out of the frame a bit. I learned that if the glass projected out even a little bit (1/16" ) past any metal ends of the frame, that the vent windows will not close properly. Once the mineral spirits had evaporated out, the bond between the glass and the frame was very strong.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:20 AM
Post Fiend

abe is a splendid one to beholdabe is a splendid one to beholdabe is a splendid one to beholdabe is a splendid one to beholdabe is a splendid one to beholdabe is a splendid one to beholdabe is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for the tips, guys. I have been trying to sell this at swap meets for several years with no interest so I thought it was not possible. But maybe I am one of the few that do not want the bright metal trim where it doesn't belong....

It is raining today so maybe I will try it today. Will let you all know later.

abe
FTE member since March '98
1954 F-100, bought from Grandpa in 1977 for $200, "Old Betsy" as named by my son.
1955 F-350 flatbed, purchased 4/23/16, Jimmy, as named by my wife.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:24 AM
Posting Guru

schoo has a very good reputation on FTE.schoo has a very good reputation on FTE.schoo has a very good reputation on FTE.
And some pic please
89 F250 sold
16 SD F250
Old 06-08-2016, 05:02 PM
Senior User

CBeav has a very good reputation on FTE.CBeav has a very good reputation on FTE.CBeav has a very good reputation on FTE.
I just dropped mine off at the glass shop yesterday for the same problem. I bought the setting tape from MF and a single layer was too thin, double too thick. Instead of monkeying around, possibly having future issues or waiting for the correct tape to come from somewhere I figured I could be at home drinking beer and knocking a few more items of my list of (now) less than 7,991 things to do. :-)
Old 06-11-2016, 03:50 PM
Senior User

cstempert is starting off with a positive reputation.
I like using Windex.
Super slick but evaporates quickly
doesn't stain anything
Easy to spray
1997 Mercury Mountaineer - RETIRED
2001 F-550 Dump Truck - Fer yard werk
1963 F500 Dump truck -Driver
Old 06-12-2016, 07:56 PM
Senior User

CBeav has a very good reputation on FTE.CBeav has a very good reputation on FTE.CBeav has a very good reputation on FTE.
Had the shop remove the vent glass (it broke when they took it apart), replace the pivot (my part) reset it and the door glass. $50. Happy to pay them for it and knock off two more items from the list.

Replaced those items, installed RH vent seal, repaired RH window crank that fell off every other day, re-hung hood and front clip, fixed cigar lighter, reinstalled cowl vent seal (why does everyone think that's so difficult? PO installed it upside down. 3m 8005, thin line on cowl and seal, spread with toothbrush, have a beer while drying then install. No clips, clothespins, cussing.), mow and weedeat, wash and wax truck, throw on cover just seconds before thunderstorm rolled through. Only 7,980 things left on list... ;-)