6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Wicked wheel 2 vs riff raff billet wheel

Old 06-07-2016, 09:13 PM
landscapeguy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wicked wheel 2 vs riff raff billet wheel

How does everyone think these two wheels compare? Mostly for towing. I really cannot decide between the two

Old 06-07-2016, 10:20 PM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
I have run both and they are both great for towing. Only difference I could tell was the Riffraff was a little quieter and is less expensive. Beyond that they perform identically.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:49 PM
hwybee22
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by duck fan
I have run both and they are both great for towing. Only difference I could tell was the Riffraff was a little quieter and is less expensive. Beyond that they perform identically.
Does the wicked wheel 2 give you more of a whistle?

Old 06-07-2016, 11:17 PM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Not really just a sharper tone I guess you would say.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:19 AM
xaviar
Elder User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can't say on the wicked wheel. But I have Riff Raffi wheel. Ive had it on my truck a year now. Seems better than my stock wheel. Its a 11 blade single cut wheel. Stock was 13 if I remember for late 04 and up wheels. I'm currently towing about16k, combined. On a 2500 mile trek heading up northern Canada and it seems good with my tunes. Been averaging 800-900 degrees on level grade @70 mph with a few hits at 1200 going up a grade.

I'll add that my truck still has the original turbo and when I did the turbo clean last year my actuator rod was worn down. You can't replace just the rod. So, I replaced the unison ring, cleaned the turbo and she's been doing good. Still looking for a donor turbo to rebuild to make it right.

So, I've been happy with it so far. Oh, the whistle is just a tad over my stock wheel.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:01 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
So, I happen to have both, uninstalled still. After lots of reading (mainly on other boards because FTE seems to have a lack of information on this issue ), I came to these conclusions based entirely on what was posted on the internet (so remember that free advice is worth what you pay ):

1. The WW2 will work better at high RPMs, but at lower RPMs can actually flow less than a single plane wheel, which will increase EGT in the "normal" driving range.
2. The Riff Raff wheel, since it's a single plane, won't run as well at high RPMs, but in the normal range for DD and towing with 3.73s will flow more air and lower EGTs.
3. By "high RPMs" I mean north of 3000-3500 RPMs, where you'd be at for drag passes and if you had 4.30s in a Tow Boss or 4.88s in a C&C DRW. I don't really get above 3k unless I'm "cleaning the EGR valve out"
4. Both have a different "feel" when it comes to spool up, mainly because both are lighter billet wheels.
5. I have the Atlas 40 FICM tune and original exhaust, so I'm concerned with EGT and will try the RR wheel first. If EGTs go down, the WW2 probably will never get a chance, unless I put an EGT gauge into our second bone-stock 6.0 and just want to play with it.
6. This guy here has the RR wheel, and convinced me it was where I needed to at least start, and hopefully stay: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/member.php?u=125444 @Toreador_Diesel

Riff Raff is on the left in the box without the logo:

Old 06-08-2016, 10:27 AM
xaviar
Elder User

Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
So, I happen to have both, uninstalled still. After lots of reading (mainly on other boards because FTE seems to have a lack of information on this issue ), I came to these conclusions based entirely on what was posted on the internet (so remember that free advice is worth what you pay ):

1. The WW2 will work better at high RPMs, but at lower RPMs can actually flow less than a single plane wheel, which will increase EGT in the "normal" driving range.
2. The Riff Raff wheel, since it's a single plane, won't run as well at high RPMs, but in the normal range for DD and towing with 3.73s will flow more air and lower EGTs.
3. By "high RPMs" I mean north of 4000 RPMs, where you'd be at for drag passes and if you had 4.30s in a Tow Boss or 4.88s in a C&C DRW.
4. Both have a different "feel" when it comes to spool up, mainly because both are lighter billet wheels.
5. I have the Atlas 40 FICM tune and original exhaust, so I'm concerned with EGR and will try the RR wheel first. If EGTs go down, the WW2 probably will never get a chance, unless I put an EGT gauge into our second bone-stock 6.0 and just want to play with it.
6. This guy here has the RR wheel, and convinced me it was where I needed to at least start, and hopefully stay: Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - View Profile: Toreador_Diesel @Toreador_Diesel

Riff Raff is on the left in the box without the logo:
Bryan. That's who I spoke with last year when I did my turbo clean. Toreador_Diesel. Which is why I installed the Riff Raff wheel. I have 4" exhaust from the turbo back and currently hauling about 16K heading north. I too have the Atlas 40 and it was a concern of mine. Like I mentioned above. Using my economy tune I'm hitting 800-850 with a 900 degrees once or so @ 70mph on level ground

My stock tune i was at 900 more so. Single plane wheel is definitely better.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:53 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm running a stock 03-04 early turbo, 4" straight exhaust. Have GearHead SRL+ Extreme tune with Atlas 40 FICM tune as my DD. Truck is a late 04', ICP in the valve cover, old HPOP. Am interested in upgrading the turbo or the wheel.

EGTs@70mph are under 800, normally around 600-700. It's interesting to see that the RR wheel increased EGT... was that towing? What about empty, any increase in EGT or performance?

Old 06-08-2016, 11:19 AM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Originally Posted by WatsonR
I'm running a stock 03-04 early turbo, 4" straight exhaust. Have GearHead SRL+ Extreme tune with Atlas 40 FICM tune as my DD. Truck is a late 04', ICP in the valve cover, old HPOP. Am interested in upgrading the turbo or the wheel.

EGTs@70mph are under 800, normally around 600-700. It's interesting to see that the RR wheel increased EGT... was that towing? What about empty, any increase in EGT or performance?
I think he said the WW2 increased EGTs not the Riffraff.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:00 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by xaviar
I can't say on the wicked wheel. But I have Riff Raffi wheel. Ive had it on my truck a year now. Seems better than my stock wheel. Its a 11 blade single cut wheel. Stock was 13 if I remember for late 04 and up wheels. I'm currently towing about16k, combined. On a 2500 mile trek heading up northern Canada and it seems good with my tunes. Been averaging 800-900 degrees on level grade @70 mph with a few hits at 1200 going up a grade.

I'll add that my truck still has the original turbo and when I did the turbo clean last year my actuator rod was worn down. You can't replace just the rod. So, I replaced the unison ring, cleaned the turbo and she's been doing good. Still looking for a donor turbo to rebuild to make it right.

So, I've been happy with it so far. Oh, the whistle is just a tad over my stock wheel.

Maybe I should have been more specific. This post say's his EGTs are 800-900. My stock EGT is 600-700@ 70mph, empty.

Xaviar- what are you getting for EGT's empty @70mph?

Old 06-08-2016, 03:00 PM
xaviar
Elder User

Originally Posted by WatsonR
Maybe I should have been more specific. This post say's his EGTs are 800-900. My stock EGT is 600-700@ 70mph, empty.

Xaviar- what are you getting for EGT's empty @70mph?
@ 70 on level ground 600-700 max with a mild tune empty. About what your getting. I never checked it in stock mode. Before i got the new ficm it was 550 to 600 @ 70. I'm towing about 9k right now till I find a cat scale to know my total weight. Didn't get a chance to weigh before I left.

One day I hope to upgrade the turbo and intake from WindRunner. For now, I'm happy with it.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:31 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by duck fan
I think he said the WW2 increased EGTs not the Riffraff.
It actually does increase EGTs and is worse on the powermax.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-gen-ii-2.html

This is why I went with Clay's wheel instead. Single plane billet wheel that performs throughout the RPMs (atleast for me it does).

Old 06-09-2016, 06:53 AM
Sullid01
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Overall do you think these wheels are worth it? The benefits seem minimal.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:55 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Sullid01
Overall do you think these wheels are worth it? The benefits seem minimal.
The billet wheel will definitely improve the spool over the stock cast wheel. KC turbos has a couple of options you should check on, depending on your driving habits and needs.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:21 AM
Sullid01
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have the powermax now and am pretty happy with it. I figure those bigger turbos really won't shine without bigger injectors and upgraded transmission so I don't really think I am up for all of that just yet. I don't tow or race but I like a cool sounding truck and the speed comes in handy every now and then.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wicked wheel 2 vs riff raff billet wheel