1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Dipstick-stuck?? Ingenity needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 01:38 AM
Wishing Faery
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dipstick-stuck?? Ingenity needed

I'm a kids entertainer about to hit the road from SoCal to and thru Oregon. I'm hauling a 3 ton WiSH Wagon in a 39 year young Leprechaun (RV).
460, 7.5, C6
I have no history on the Leprechaun, but I do know there was a ******* with a random bolt box somewhere along the way.
Thus far the entire fuel system from tanks to manifold (Edelbrock Performance, which is now metallic purple) are new. Radiator, water pump,, belts, hoses and ignition system from the plugs to that *#~§@! hold down bolt that no one at the parts stores knows what it is. The junk yard peeps are getting to know me as much as my local AutoZone.
Its almost ready. Already been on one 1000 mile journey including a major climb called Baker Grade from Vegas to SoCal. Aside from a resolved carb popping issue and a huge hole in a brand new muffler, (the mechanic said "I've never seen anything like that before!") and a few top many overheating incidents that evidently burned 3 quarts of oil, it was a pretty smooth trip.
So that's the history.
Here's the question of the day.
When I got it, the dipstick was missing. It only had the finger hold from the top. I got a new dipstick, two actually because I wasn't sure the length I needed. But they won't go in very far, like they are having an issue making all the twists and turns.
I tried a bare metal coat hanger, it got further, but still couldn't make the final turn.
My fear is dipstick in the oil chamber... I've considered removing the bolt on the side where the dipstick enters, but it's in a remarkably difficult location and we've had to retap several bolt holes along the way. So I ask you awesomely experienced and ingenious enthusiasts...is it possible that the dipstick is a dipstuck? Is there any way to tell other than removing that side bolt?
I'd rather cut that tube and the new dipstick down than I would want to unbolt it from the engine. Is that feasible?
All advice Is appreciated aside from "A single female should not take a 39year old RV on the road"...cause I'm a pretty sharp chick and my WiSHes come true..
💜
Penelope
Aka: The WiSHing Faery

Old 06-07-2016, 03:23 AM
jimandnena
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PENELOPE! Hiya, good to see you still on the road.

Nena's Explorer dipstick broke at the plastic handle, luckily AFTER I pulled it to check oil. The dipsticks on vans are python length, adding to the problem. If the dipstick is still in there, probably no chance it will cause problems. I would get a roll of solid picture frame wire to use as the dipstick for now. Make sure the oil level is correct and put a ding in the wire at the full mark. Put whatever kind of handle you need on it but try to seal the opening of the dipstick tube if possible.
OOK 50 ft. Aluminum Hobby Wire-50176 - The Home Depot

The next time you return to home base for a spell, you might have luck draining the oil and snagging the end of the dipstick from the drain hole. Video inspection cameras are fairly common now to let you locate the dipstick if it is in the pan. A grabber tool might get it out.

WISHing you the best on the next journey!
jim

Old 06-07-2016, 12:09 PM
Wishing Faery
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ingenuity! Yay!

Originally Posted by jimandnena
PENELOPE! Hiya, good to see you still on the road.

Nena's Explorer dipstick broke at the plastic handle, luckily AFTER I pulled it to check oil. The dipsticks on vans are python length, adding to the problem. If the dipstick is still in there, probably no chance it will cause problems. I would get a roll of solid picture frame wire to use as the dipstick for now. Make sure the oil level is correct and put a ding in the wire at the full mark. Put whatever kind of handle you need on it but try to seal the opening of the dipstick tube if possible.
OOK 50 ft. Aluminum Hobby Wire-50176 - The Home Depot

The next time you return to home base for a spell, you might have luck draining the oil and snagging the end of the dipstick from the drain hole. Video inspection cameras are fairly common now to let you locate the dipstick if it is in the pan. A grabber tool might get it out.

WISHing you the best on the next journey!
jim
I am still cruisin'! Headed into cooler temperatures up in Oregon this summer...it's a WiSH come true! I am still combating an overheating in traffic issue, but considering the shroud is currently off, I'm pretty sure that's the issue.
It is good to hear that the dipstick shouldn't mess with the engine, and I love the idea of picture wire because it will take a corner better than the hanger. I tried copper first, but I think it was too big to get past the potentially existing old dipstick.
As for being able to get it out the drain hole, I doubt it. (Although, I am the WiSHing Faery, and many MaGiCal things have happened.) The drain hole is in a lower basin, so that makes it extremely hard to see up into where the dipstick comes in from the top basin.
Perhaps when I get back to home base I will WiSH for an engine hoist and an experienced engine hoister to get that big boy lifted out so I can clean it up, drop the oil pan and check out the bottom end.
Thank you for your guidance.
💜
Penelope

Old 06-07-2016, 12:32 PM
jimandnena
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Surf for "usb inspection camera ". It connects to smartphones/tablets, etc and you will be surprised what you can see with it. The oil drain plug hole is WAY larger than these cameras and you can get 2 or 3 feet types to reach wherever you need. I think grabbing the dipstuck should be doable.
Come on, WiSHes do come true!

Besides, the camera is invaluable for a thousand other places in a van that are impossible to see.

Best of luck. jim

Old 06-07-2016, 09:57 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
un-bolt the tube
it's the easiest , quickest way
You will never be able to fish out a dip stick through the drain , EVER