Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

...alignment shop?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 12:36 AM
Steve Hinson
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...alignment shop?

Hello...I live in Hendersonville and have a '54 F-100...been trying to get the steering straightened out...had it worked on twice and was worse each time...need to find an alignment shop that can work on my truck...all steering/suspension is stock...who around here can work on my truck?

Thanks!

Steve

Old 06-06-2016, 07:02 PM
Customcab
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Believe it or not; up here in Clarksville; the best alignment shop is COOP. seems that about any tire shop should be able to do it; but usually its the skill of the mechanic more that a computer that counts. COOP seems to be the best here. Hope this helps.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:16 PM
Steve Hinson
New User
Thanks!

I will put them on the list...like to find one closer to H'ville so I don't have to risk life and limb driving this weaving,wandering so-and-so all the way to Clarksvegas...

Maybe I'll have it hauled up there and drive it back!

Thank you,Sir!

Old 06-06-2016, 07:29 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
IMO, any alignment shop that can not figure out and correct any problems with a straight axle front end of that vintage should not call itself an alignment shop. That is about the most simple front end ever built. Unless it has been FUBARed, replace all the spring shackle bolts, center bolts, tie rod ends, king pins with bushings, and adjust the steering box. For good measure, have the shop throw a couple caster wedges in. Radial tires help. You might be well off having a big truck shop do the work.
Not in TN any more but I still drop by once in a while.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:40 PM
Steve Hinson
New User
...it's all been replaced...

E
Originally Posted by raytasch
IMO, any alignment shop that can not figure out and correct any problems with a straight axle front end of that vintage should not call itself an alignment shop. That is about the most simple front end ever built. Unless it has been FUBARed, replace all the spring shackle bolts, center bolts, tie rod ends, king pins with bushings, and adjust the steering box. For good measure, have the shop throw a couple caster wedges in. Radial tires help. You might be well off having a big truck shop do the work.
Not in TN any more but I still drop by once in a while.
Everything on the truck was replaced about 20 years ago,and it probably has 500 miles on it since then...the problem seems to be that nobody knows how to do it...the shop that does my work had to"chalk line"align the front end because they don't have a machine any more...the front end guy retired and they work on newer cars,so...
It's hard to find an"alignment shop"!The discount tire stores do it,but don't want to fool with old cars and trucks.My shop got it to quit shimmying,but it still wants to go left...

Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 06-14-2016, 10:26 AM
jwilso98
Freshman User
Hey Steve, I'm new to the forum and just saw this. I live in Nashville and my family has always used Bass Tire. Steve Bass or Aaron are who you need to speak with, they should be able to fix it. I've had them do work on all my trucks and have never had an issue, great people and service.

Old 06-14-2016, 04:57 PM
Steve Hinson
New User
Originally Posted by jwilso98
Hey Steve, I'm new to the forum and just saw this. I live in Nashville and my family has always used Bass Tire. Steve Bass or Aaron are who you need to speak with, they should be able to fix it. I've had them do work on all my trucks and have never had an issue, great people and service.
Thank you and I will call them!I appreciate it!