Any Disappointed Transit Owners? - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

2014+ Transit 2014+ full size Ford Transit Van, Wagon, Cutaway and Chassis-Cab

Any Disappointed Transit Owners?

Old 02-21-2017, 10:29 AM
Posting Guru

Frantz is a name known to allFrantz is a name known to allFrantz is a name known to allFrantz is a name known to allFrantz is a name known to allFrantz is a name known to all
Quote:
Transits being as new as they are, they may have similar or even worse rust issues than the Sprinter
I'd argue that point up and down. The sprinters continue to have rust issues for whatever reason, and to suggest Ford would have the same problem because it's a new model to the US lacks any base. The Transits have been in production since '65. Ford didn't borrow MB paint technology in order to raise the roof. That's simply a silly notion.

The Promasters biggest downfall is the FWD layout. For heavy loads you're likely to get a fair amount of understeer. For light loads it might be ideal. Did they change the parking brake lever on them yet? Last one I was it had it right in your left leg of the driver when getting in and out. Plus it's a Fiat.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:36 AM
Post Fiend

JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Frantz I'm with you on this rust issues. Apart from what I consider a horrible year rust-wise for the E-Series (2003, one rusting away sitting in my driveway right now ) Ford's bodies overall when properly maintained seem to hold up very well. My 2000 E250 salvage-titled E250 just topping 280K miles says they're capable of building a sound body.

If Ford simply maintains whatever current practices they use in painting the Transit's as was used for the E-Series I'm "hoping" premature and excessive rust is NOT an issue for The Blue Oval stuff.

Pro Masters----they're Chrysler which says so much unfortunately.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:43 PM
Postmaster

YoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to behold
I'm hoping that Transits do well with rust in the future. When the Sprinter was new to the US, my instinct told me that the thin sandwiched body panels were too much like a Jeep CJ (etc) or my old FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser and that they would be prone to rust from the inside out. The issue here is not so much paint as it is internal galvanizing and rustproofing. This was one reason I did not buy one in 2003 and went with a new E150 instead.

Ford continues to have *some* silly paint issues like Expedition aluminum hoods and tailgates which continue to be a problem even with the new gen 2015+ models. So far, this aluminum body paint adhesion problem does not seem to affect F150's which is a good thing as there are so darn many of them out there. I am seeing a lot of badly rusted out Super Duty pickups around Michigan, however.

And yeah, it's not like either Chrysler or Fiat have done well with QC....their merger reminds me of my prediction when AMC (worst QC company in the US) merged with Renault (which like all French and Italian car companies built only garbage in terms of US market).

I am driving a 2016 FCA Grand Caravan--loaded R/T model (and waiting for a new nav unit to arrive at the dealership after 1 year and 11k miles). My trust in it went as far as my buying literally a LIFETIME FCA warranty for the van. Cost me $2500 and I am banking on cashing in if I hold onto the van for my usual 125-150k miles. Otherwise it's a nice vehicle... And I do have friends and family who have driven various Chrysler vehicles (Dodge pickups and vans, Cherokees and Grand Cherokees, and even minivans and cars) 200-300k miles.

George