6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2.5 inch leveling kit install

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 06:32 PM
DeeDubz
More Turbo
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
2.5 inch leveling kit install

Hey guys, I figured now is a good time to get my leveling kit installed with the 100 degree plus weather so I packed up my kid and we drove out to my dads shop. Thankfully He has plenty of tools, AC and a fridge full of ice cold beer.
I went with Supreme Suspensions 2.5 inch billet spacers and i replaced my stock shocks with daystar 2.5inch front shock absorber. Total cost was just over 100 bucks. I shopped around and found a few deals on the shocks and got free shipping. Heres some pictures of before an after. It totally changed the look of the truck. As far as the ride, it didn't seem to change it much at all. I has my truck realigned, the guy who did it said it was off a little but not by much.

before

during

almost done

done

highly recommend getting a spring compressor. You'll have a hard time getting the spring back in with the spacer...

Old 06-04-2016, 04:14 PM
radium
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice job looks good done the same thing, you might want to also get a adjustable track bar so you could put the axle back in the right location. My truck is only 2 inches lifted move the axle a half an inch toward the driver side sort of shocking trying to decide which relocation bar to buy or possibly a drop down bracket and use the factory bar. ReadyLift make a nice system but I wasn't going to keep the truck this long so I use the cheap 2-inch blocks underneath the springs truck seems to be riding fine just don't like the bump steer characteristics of the axle being off center the cheapest one I found so far is about $400 kind of ridiculous a piece of steel with nuts on it that lock to the right length lol take care

Old 06-04-2016, 07:21 PM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 06-06-2016, 12:36 PM
smoky_diesel
Cargo Master
Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by DeeDubz
I has my truck realigned, the guy who did it said it was off a little but not by much.....
Hmm... What were the numbers? 'Off' here means you have little caster and it will drive as such.

Originally Posted by DeeDubz
highly recommend getting a spring compressor. You'll have a hard time getting the spring back in with the spacer...
You should be able to easily install the spring. Something limiting axle droop was causing you an issue. Did you flip brake line brackets? Other items are sway bar links, and ABS/vacuum lines.

Don't need a adj track bar for 2", especially if your goal is low cost.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:44 PM
smoky_diesel
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by radium
Nice job looks good done the same thing, you might want to also get a adjustable track bar so you could put the axle back in the right location. My truck is only 2 inches lifted move the axle a half an inch toward the driver side sort of shocking trying to decide which relocation bar to buy or possibly a drop down bracket and use the factory bar. ReadyLift make a nice system but I wasn't going to keep the truck this long so I use the cheap 2-inch blocks underneath the springs truck seems to be riding fine just don't like the bump steer characteristics of the axle being off center the cheapest one I found so far is about $400 kind of ridiculous a piece of steel with nuts on it that lock to the right length lol take care

Horizontal axle offset has nothing to do with bumpsteer. An adjustable bar will not change handling. Installing a drop bracket on only the tack bar can actually create a bumpsteer and make things worse (w/o drop pitman arm).

Here is the math. Note the angle are not equal stock as the bars are different lengths.
Track bar:
Stock - length = 37”, angle = 8.5 degrees
2” lift - angle = 11.7 degrees, change in horizontal distance = 0.4” to the left, change in angle = +3.2 degrees.

Drag link:
Stock – length = 43” angle =3.3 degrees.
2 lift – angle =5.7 degrees, change in angle = +2.4 degrees

Radius arm:
Stock- length 38”, angle 0.5 degrees down
2” lift – angle = 3.5 degrees down, change in caster = -3 degrees

Old 06-09-2016, 04:44 PM
DeeDubz
More Turbo
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by smoky_diesel
Hmm... What were the numbers? 'Off' here means you have little caster and it will drive as such.

You should be able to easily install the spring. Something limiting axle droop was causing you an issue. Did you flip brake line brackets? Other items are sway bar links, and ABS/vacuum lines.

Don't need a adj track bar for 2", especially if your goal is low cost.
Im not sure what the numbers were, I have the paperwork at home. The clearance issue came down to the brake lines on the stabilizer and frame. The frame was high enough off the ground when we lowered the stabilizer the brake line only had so much slack.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:15 PM
ZooDad
Received 590 Likes on 344 Posts
Horizontal axle offset has nothing to do with bumpsteer. An adjustable bar will not change handling. Installing a drop bracket on only the tack bar can actually create a bumpsteer and make things worse (w/o drop pitman arm).

Here is the math. Note the angle are not equal stock as the bars are different lengths.
Track bar:
Stock - length = 37”, angle = 8.5 degrees
2” lift - angle = 11.7 degrees, change in horizontal distance = 0.4” to the left, change in angle = +3.2 degrees.

Drag link:
2 lift – angle =5.7 degrees, change in angle = +2.4 degrees

Radius arm:
2” lift – angle = 3.5 degrees down, change in caster = -3 degrees
Smoky_diesel
Great info. What would the numbers be for a 1.5" lift in front?

Thanks

Old 06-10-2016, 11:11 AM
smoky_diesel
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by ZooDad
Smoky_diesel
Great info. What would the numbers be for a 1.5" lift in front?

Thanks
Track bar:
Stock - length = 37", angle = 8.5 degrees
1.5" lift - angle = 10.9 degrees, change in horizontal distance = 0.3” to the left, change in angle = +2.4 degrees.

Drag link:
1.5" lift– angle =5.3 degrees, change in angle = +2 degrees

Radius arm:
1.5” lift – angle = 2.7 degrees down, change in caster = -2.2 degrees

Old 06-10-2016, 05:45 PM
ZooDad
Great info
Thank you

Old 07-24-2016, 05:40 PM
ZooDad
Track bar:
Stock - length = 37", angle = 8.5 degrees
1.5" lift - angle = 10.9 degrees, change in horizontal distance = 0.3” to the left, change in angle = +2.4 degrees.

Drag link:
1.5" lift– angle =5.3 degrees, change in angle = +2 degrees

Radius arm:
1.5” lift – angle = 2.7 degrees down, change in caster = -2.2 degrees
Smoky diesel
Would the numbers change with an adjustable track bar other than the track bar length and left offset .3 inches ?

Thanks

Old 07-24-2016, 07:19 PM
projectnitemare
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I am so glad to see someone putting the numbers to work. I end up doing this exact thing for everyone i know. A tape measure and some highschool geometry works wonders. I just leveled my 16 lasts week. My digital angle finger confirmed my calculations to within a tenth of a degree. I use an engineering degree for more trivial things than engineering anymore.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:20 AM
smoky_diesel
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by ZooDad
Smoky diesel
Would the numbers change with an adjustable track bar other than the track bar length and left offset .3 inches ?

Thanks

No, all the other values would remain constant regardless of trac bar length. IMO a $500 trac bar isn't justified for <2" lift. You will need a serious ball joint tool to remove it.

Originally Posted by projectnitemare
I am so glad to see someone putting the numbers to work. I end up doing this exact thing for everyone i know. A tape measure and some highschool geometry works wonders. I just leveled my 16 lasts week. My digital angle finger confirmed my calculations to within a tenth of a degree. I use an engineering degree for more trivial things than engineering anymore.

Thanks, yes they do. No guessing, planned results. Here's where the math came from if your interested...
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...nd-theory.html