Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Synthetic Oil Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 05:16 PM
Bill Kay
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Synthetic Oil Questions

I have been using Conoco Phillips Fleet Supreme EC 15W-40 dino oil for the past few years with good results. It has the exact data properties as the Ford Motorcraft oil and Conoco Phillips produces the oil for Ford so essentially it is the same oil in different containers. With that said, I purchased a 4 gallon case today for $38.89 from Atlanta Fuel Co. to hopefully do an oil change tomorrow.

While I was there they had a 4 gallon full synthetic case for a really good price of $64.04. It is Triton ECT Full Synthetic Diesel Oil and I got a spec sheet on it if someone has something to compare it to. Being 5W-40 I thought it was too thin to run down here in Ga but while at Wally world getting a filter I noticed that the Rotella T6 was the same weight. Just wandering if this is a good option to use winter or summer.

Old 06-03-2016, 05:37 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kay
Being 5W-40 I thought it was too thin to run down here in Ga but while at Wally world getting a filter I noticed that the Rotella T6 was the same weight. Just wandering if this is a good option to use winter or summer.]
The number before the 'W' is the viscosity at start up. In this case it behaves like a 5 weight oil when cold. I think this is up to 210F. Once you're up to operating temperature, it will be a 40 weight.

Old 06-03-2016, 05:41 PM
SARDiverDan
Cargo Master
Received 415 Likes on 237 Posts
I run T6 year round and its 103 at my house today. Most switch oils from winter to summer based on saving a few bucks and change interval.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:35 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just wandering if this is a good option to use winter or summer.
You can run it year round without issue.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:23 PM
Bill Kay
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Pocket
You can run it year round without issue.
Thanks for the info guys. Does anybody have any insight on the oil I listed. I guess I could be the first to use it here and send in a sample to black stone, but since I only put about 5K a year on the truck it might be a while.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:08 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It meets all the certification requirements, shouldn't be much different than most other synthetics.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:20 PM
Bill Kay
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Pocket
It meets all the certification requirements, shouldn't be much different than most other synthetics.
Yea, I guess the $16 gallon for full synthetic had me a little worried.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:31 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Yeah, you are getting a screaming deal on both those oils. Sometimes I really miss Atlanta...then I think about I75 in the morning and I get over it...

Old 06-03-2016, 08:44 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,343 Likes on 1,751 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. Does anybody have any insight on the oil I listed. I guess I could be the first to use it here and send in a sample to black stone, but since I only put about 5K a year on the truck it might be a while.
From the spec sheet you posted, it all looks good. In fact, it looks to be a bit more stable than T6 in the heat... higher flashpoint (30 degrees F higher, 464 vs 435 for T6)... and more viscous, with a higher number in kinematic viscosity measured at 212F (almost 1 centistoke higher 15.1 vs 14.2 for T6).

Another point of comparison is the HTHS, or high temperature high shear at 302 degrees F, where your oil is 4.2 centipoise, versus the unpublished Shell T6 spec that is reported to be 4.0. The ACEA-9 minimum is 3.5, so both oils are self reported to be well above that spec.

Commensurately, your slightly more viscous oil also shows a higher cold cranking dynamic or absolute viscosity when measured at -30 degrees C, by 250 millipascal -seconds, 6250 cP vs 6,000 cP for T6).

Even though your oil is slightly more viscous, it has a lower viscosity INDEX (VI) than T6, where the VI is a unitless index derived from the calculated difference between the two measurements of dynamic viscosity taken at each of the two reference temperatures for that measurement. In this case, your oil has a slightly narrower VI at 166, vs the unpublished VI of the T6, reported to be 169.5.

Conclusion:

At $16 per gallon for your oil, vs the typical sale price of $19 per gallon for T6, with the spec numbers above being so close, and if anything, erring on the side of "thicker" rather than "thinner" comparatively, I see no problem at all with you grabbing a pail of that Conco synthetic oil and running it.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:53 PM
Bill Kay
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
From the spec sheet you posted, it all looks good. In fact, it looks to be a bit more stable than T6 in the heat... higher flashpoint (30 degrees F higher, 464 vs 435 for T6)... and more viscous, with a higher number in kinematic viscosity measured at 212F (almost 1 centistoke higher 15.1 vs 14.2 for T6).

Another point of comparison is the HTHS, or high temperature high shear at 302 degrees F, where your oil is 4.2 centipoise, versus the unpublished Shell T6 spec that is reported to be 4.0. The ACEA-9 minimum is 3.5, so both oils are self reported to be well above that spec.

Commensurately, your slightly more viscous oil also shows a higher cold cranking dynamic or absolute viscosity when measured at -30 degrees C, by 250 millipascal -seconds, 6250 cP vs 6,000 cP for T6).

Even though your oil is slightly more viscous, it has a lower viscosity INDEX (VI) than T6, where the VI is a unitless index derived from the calculated difference between the two measurements of dynamic viscosity taken at each of the two reference temperatures for that measurement. In this case, your oil has a slightly narrower VI at 166, vs the unpublished VI of the T6, reported to be 169.5.

Conclusion:

At $16 per gallon for your oil, vs the typical sale price of $19 per gallon for T6, with the spec numbers above being so close, and if anything, erring on the side of "thicker" rather than "thinner" comparatively, I see no problem at all with you grabbing a pail of that Conco synthetic oil and running it.
Perfect! Thanks for the comparison Y2KW57. I'll save your info to pass on to the next guy who ask the question.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:58 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Sorry OP for asking in your thread, but I have in my shop 4gal of Rotella 10w30 full synthetic oil can that be used year round? I use this oil in our Kubbata diesel generators I don't know how it will do in our trucks?

Old 06-03-2016, 08:59 PM
Bill Kay
More Turbo
Originally Posted by HKusp
Yeah, you are getting a screaming deal on both those oils. Sometimes I really miss Atlanta...then I think about I75 in the morning and I get over it...
Luckily I live on the west side but it's getting about as bad as the I75 commute.

Old 06-04-2016, 01:08 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by z31freakify
Sorry OP for asking in your thread, but I have in my shop 4gal of Rotella 10w30 full synthetic oil can that be used year round? I use this oil in our Kubbata diesel generators I don't know how it will do in our trucks?
So-Cal here and that's what I run year around. However, the other day, I did see that, Rotella T5 semi-syn(10w-30) is now a 15w/40 semi syn...

Old 06-04-2016, 09:29 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
As long as the bottle says CJ-4 (actually, much older oil would be okay too, but thats the latest certification) then it is acceptable, regardless of weight or time of year. The only time you need to worry about weight, is if you live in extremes of cold, but no truck should NEED a light weight oil, it just helps. That said, all synthetic oils will be a lighter weight.

Dont stress on it. Most oils are incredibly similar in make up and have only a slight variance from brand to brand. Heck, even the word "synthetic" is just a marketing term and actually has no technical definition.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:21 AM
rufushusky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 387 Likes on 274 Posts
Originally Posted by binuya
The number before the 'W' is the viscosity at start up. In this case it behaves like a 5 weight oil when cold. I think this is up to 210F. Once you're up to operating temperature, it will be a 40 weight.

Not exactly, the XXw portion of a multigrade oil is subject to a different set of tests than the top weight of the oil per SAE J300. So just cause something is a 20w oil doesn't mean at -15*C it will behave like an SAE 20 weight oil. Hence why you can have a 20w-20 motor oil.

https://www.mystiklubes.com/do/produ...TURE/663112002

SAE J300 | Widman International

See above, the bottom or "winter weights" of the oil are all tested are temps ranging from -10*C (+14*F) down to -40*C/F depending on rating where as the dynamic kinematic viscosity and HTHS is measured at 100*C (212*F) regardless of grade.

Originally Posted by Y2KW57

Just curious have you seen a PDS for T6 that shows HTHS? I haven't seen any officially published from Shell indicating what the HTHS is. Like you mentioned per SAE J300, the HTHS floor for a 0w/5w/10w-40 is 3.5cP, while the other top 40 and up weights are 3.7.

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil Questions