1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TIRE SHINE---WHAT DO YOU USE ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 10:59 PM
Rongold
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question TIRE SHINE---WHAT DO YOU USE ???

Hey All,

This does not involve my F-250, but it could, and that's why I'm posting here. I recently picked up a new (for me) 2014 Lincoln MKS with 5,000 miles on it. When I picked it up at the Lincoln dealer, the tires were all shined up, and it looked great. About a 2 weeks later, the tires had already turned dull, so I washed them off, and to my surprise, the brush I scrubbed them with DID NOT turn black, as I expected it to. Every time I put tire shine spray on any tires and a week or two later when I scrub it off, the brush, my hands, and everything turns black. My leg rubbed against it the other day and now I have a big black oily stain on my dungarees. I am wondering what did the dealer possibly use that shines well and washes off clean ???

I just washed them again today as it had been almost 2 weeks since I last shined them up, and as I expected, the brush I used turned black with the washed off residue of tire shine. I usually spray the stuff on, but last time I bought a pack of 3 sponge type applicators, sprayed the tire shine onto the sponge and applied it to the tire---Guess what---The sponge turned jet black as I was applying the stuff, and the sponge just about disintegrated---1 use and it's shot.

What do you guys use to shine your tires that works well ??? How do you apply it ???

RON

Old 06-03-2016, 12:49 AM
KingRanchCummins
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always use whatever tire shine is on sale (I think right now I have eagle one water based or something) for my wifes grand cherokee, I just use old socks. One old sock usually lasts me a couple months. I always apply the stuff to the sock and then wipe it on.

I bet the dealer uses some type of spray on high shine crap, I prefer a matte non greasy finish.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:56 AM
09f250v10
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tire Shine

I use the Turtle Wax Jet Black Endurashine Tire Coat Kit. It is a full kit that comes with the tire cleaner, tire shine, gloves and applicators. It is kind of a pain the first time that you go through the process of applying it but it lasts months at a time. Plus it is acrylic based so after it cures, it is dry to the touch and does not leave any residue on your hands or jeans! On the first application, I do three heavy coats and it lasts forever. That tire shine is the darkest and shiniest tire shine that I have used. Here is a picture of it on my old 250.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:10 AM
ultrasks700
Tuned
A good friend of mine who is an auto detailer recently moved down the street from me. Since then I've taken a liking to keeping my vehicles clean and I've picked up on several techniques that he uses.

The Shine supply "decked out" is amazing stuff. Not only does it work excellent for tires but also for the undercarriage and wheel well plastics, ect. And it smells straight up amazing. After you use it you will toss all that autozone and wally world stuff in the trash. I also highly recommend their interior dressing that to is 3x better than any stuff you will buy at your local auto parts store.

https://shinesupply.com/collections/...cts/decked-out

Old 06-03-2016, 06:33 AM
Larietpsd
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Going to try this

Old 06-03-2016, 07:29 AM
ultrasks700
Tuned

Uploaded a pic.
I also have taken a liking to their "all in one" which is a polish and wax in one. Goes on quick and the Torq Dual action makes the whole process a breeze

Old 06-03-2016, 07:38 AM
stufarmer
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rongold
Hey All,

This does not involve my F-250, but it could, and that's why I'm posting here. I recently picked up a new (for me) 2014 Lincoln MKS with 5,000 miles on it. When I picked it up at the Lincoln dealer, the tires were all shined up, and it looked great. About a 2 weeks later, the tires had already turned dull, so I washed them off, and to my surprise, the brush I scrubbed them with DID NOT turn black, as I expected it to. Every time I put tire shine spray on any tires and a week or two later when I scrub it off, the brush, my hands, and everything turns black. I am wondering what did the dealer possibly use that shines well and washes off clean ???

I just washed them again today as it had been almost 2 weeks since I last shined them up, and as I expected, the brush I used turned black with the washed off residue of tire shine. I usually spray the stuff on, but last time I bought a pack of 3 sponge type applicators, sprayed the tire shine onto the sponge and applied it to the tire---Guess what---The sponge turned jet black as I was applying the stuff, and the sponge just about disintegrated---1 use and it's shot.

What do you guys use to shine your tires that works well ??? How do you apply it ???

RON
I believe the type of tire gloss you're asking about is a silicon based product ..

Old 06-03-2016, 07:46 AM
bbender85
Logistics Pro
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
start by wetting them, spray on some Black Magic Bleche White and let sit a few moments, scrub with a brush (try to avoid getting it on your hands), then power wash it off. you'll be starting with a blank canvas of sorts.

then use your favorite shine. last year i moved away from the spray tire shines to a gel that you rub on with a sponge applicator, also by Black Magic if i recall. takes longer to apply and is a little tough to get on evenly (especially with an aggressive sidewall) but it lasts so much longer than the spray stuff, and you don't get overspray on your wheels.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:54 AM
montauk1
Mountain Pass
Had a conversation about this with the tire care people at Michelin Tire. They said that any tire shine product that contains petroleum distillates is very bad for the tires and should not be used. They said it tends to dry out the rubber, & has no UV protection, which will cause the rubber to dry out & crack. I have been using 303 protectant which has a UV protectant, It doesn't make the tires shine for as long as the other products, but does protect the rubber from UV rays. They explained that the tires that are mounted on vehicles that travel 10, or less, thousand miles a year will benefit the most because they will be exposed to UV rays for more years than tires that travel many more miles, & would need to be replaced due to wear in a few years. I guess this would be more of a concern for tires mounted on RV's that tend to "sit" longer than they roll.
John

Old 06-03-2016, 08:21 AM
KIDkiser
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't care for the glossy look,so I just use mean green from the dollar store,just spray it on scrub with brush and I'm done.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:31 AM
JeepPuller
Fleet Mechanic
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by KIDkiser
I don't care for the glossy look,so I just use mean green from the dollar store,just spray it on scrub with brush and I'm done.
Same here, I like clean with no shine. Most products just fling all over the truck anyways.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:10 AM
51 ashton
New User
I live on dirt. I have three antique show trucks. I've used them all with with mixed results. If you live on dirt like I do, then either find a water based product which doesn't last long and is not as glossy as any of glycerin based products and comes off the tire easy or throw them all away and only use Windex on cleaned rubber.

Oil/silicone based products on the other hand attract dirt like ants on a sugar pile. Here my issue with tire dressings. Starting with new tires I apply dressing and they shine. Next wash, tire is clean and I apply more to make it shine again. After a couple of washes the tire looks like crap because all that's left after the washing is an oily/waxy buildup and the only way it comes off is in *****. Gas, lacquer thinner, bleachie white, doesn't cut it. Only thing I found that removes it is a drill and a wire wheel as it rips the gunk off the tire. It's labor intensive and time consuming and I'm too old that.

Now all I do is to just wash the tires and leave them natural looking with a shot from the Windex and give them that matte finish.

If you never leave the blacktop then you have more choices of what to use. Just keep trying products until your satisfied then throw the rest away. As for the comment from michlien saying its not good for your tires.I got a laugh from that. My tires don't crack and dry rot because they're worn out @ 25,000 miles. If a tire does that then it's not from the dressing.
On my SD I use whatever is laying around because it only has to look nice some of the time because the dust/dirt is attracted so fast I can't keep me clean. Same goes when the dirt road is wet then the tires are all sloped up with mud. Only way to win here with tire shine is to not use it.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:39 PM
nsrt
Junior User
Zaino products are great

Old 06-04-2016, 01:21 AM
Unclemark
Senior User
I never use the shiny stuff anymore cuz it slings off onto the fenders as you drive. When I was younger though I would first use bleachwhite then spray silicone let it soak then wipe it down with windex.