Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Finance manager trickery and items offered at close of sale

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 08:48 AM
Ocean's
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finance manager trickery and items offered at close of sale

Let me start by saying this guy was good. Very warm and fuzzy, like a good friend. Anyway, minutes into the pitch, I turned down the $275 for the FORD ETCH, where they track numbers that are on the truck in like 7 locations.

The next thing I said NO to was the upholstery warranty...$350

Then the maintenance...He said it would be $2495 for all of my service for 6 years or 75000 miles. I sai I like to change my brake fluid every 2 years, as well asa transmission service. He says, "Everything is included" I said how about $2000 for 100,000 miles.. He say, ARe you members of Costco? we like yes, and he say great that can save you and let me look around here for some coupons... Well, without finding any coupons he says ok. But! it's late and i didn't have the checkbook.

So, the next morning after reading the manual it says Auton transmission fliud service at 150,000 miles!

I went in the next morning and waited for the finance guy to get in and told him that I like the service, but we agreed that the transmission and brake fluid would be included and showed him the manual that said 150,000 miles. he said he could not included the transmssion because the service would then be $3400 for the package.

He finally cancelled the service at my request...

Funny thig is he never offered me an extended warranty.

So my questions are should i try and negotiate an extended warranty with the dealer or other party?

And, I usually do the oil spark plugs and other items my self, is this new for with the turbo's something that a DIY guy like yself can't handle? I mean did i screw up and should have taken the Maintenance for $2000?

Old 06-02-2016, 09:37 AM
MarkyB98
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford can sell you a warranty and a maintenance plan...
In fact I would only consider the actual Ford plans and not any third party plans.
On the maintenance plan, check the fine print on the service interval.
How many visits are you getting for $2000?
Most dealers charge $40 for "The Works" oil change. Do the math. Got burned on a plan in the past.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:10 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
F&I guys are, by and large, worms. Their business is to add back-end items onto the deal to make money. Extended warranties, scheduled maintenance, etc. play into this.

The Etch stuff? Not a Ford product. And the dealership only pays if the customer pays. Most dealerships tag every vehicle, then say "well, but it's already installed!" They did this to my brand-new 2016. Sorry if you installed them... don't scratch the paint when you're removing them, or you can leave them alone!

The maintenance plan? Routine maintenance is no different on a turbo motor versus N/A. The 3.5EB is a bit of a pain to access (skid plates, etc.) but certainly doable if you're a DIY type. Unless you're towing a lot or idling many hours, the oil life monitor will typically give you around 10K per change. So that's 7 oil changes at $40/change, or $280. You'll also find that "wear items" like brake pads, shocks, etc. aren't typically included.

IMO, get the state sales order and review it carefully. That's the bottom line. Tell the F&I worm to remove absolutely everything that isn't required. Carefully review all fees (documentation fees, etc.)

If you want an extended warranty, buy it through one of the dealers that sell them online... or print them out and take them with you, tell the F&I worm "I'm willing to pay this much".

Old 06-02-2016, 04:09 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
$2000 for a maintenance plan is really high. My dealer offers 20 oil changes for a period of 100,000 miles and all the wiper blades your truck needs for $500 at time of purchase. That's pretty reasonable.

Don't think for a minute that the plugs on the ecoboost are going to last 100,000 miles, they won't. If you get 75K, you're doing better than most. Plan on a plug change between 50K-60K miles.

Ford ESP's can be had at any Ford dealer in the country or from Ford direct.

I wouldn't say the your F&I guy is a worm, that's a bit harsh as he's doing what the dealer is paying him to do. He took it off and you bought the truck, that doesn't make him a bad guy.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:17 PM
Ocean's
Freshman User
Wink

Thanks for the information! I want to do all the maintenance myself. I mean it's my truck right...It will be more work but I will definately get to know my vehicle.

I'm glad he did take it off and didn't make too much of a stink about it.

You ford guys are a nice bunch of people just like the Tacoma Folks. Thank for chiming in!

Oh... Curious, what air pressures you guys like to run. I read the manual and it was different than the tires and even different than on hte doors. The doors say 35psi. all around. The dealer had tham all at 44psi. I lower them all to 40...?

Old 06-03-2016, 07:16 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
"Do you want to buy this for this much money" is hardly trickery. He's not a service manager, and frankly they probably won't know either what different service intervals are. The F&I guy made the mistake of assuming you were within guidelines of recommended intervals. Computers make memorization of such information a thing of times past, especially for an entire lineup of cars, vs you getting to know your one specific truck rather well.

IMO maintenance plans for retail consumers is a waste for most, but they do make a good deal for fleets, assuming the dealer hasn't marked them up beyond reasonable. I can make a few bucks profit and save a fleet manager a good amount money compared with the same service paid over time.

The interior protection plan (paint and fab as we call it) can be a good deal, or can be a bad one. Our dealership self insures on this rather than buying it from a third party so our only cost is when someone uses it. Frankly, we make a good amount of money, not because it's over priced, but because people simply forget about it. Here's my pitch, if you get a stain and cant get it out, and we can't get it out, we'll replace the panel. If you have kids or eat in your car alot, you probably have a fair number of stains after five years (the period of protection). In five years when you trade this car in, I will give you more than the cost of the product just because you have nicer looker interior, and you get to have a stain free car the whole time. Paint too, had a customer who didn't clean bird poo off her hood and then was very upset her paint got damaged. I couldn't do anything but charge her for fixing, but if she bought the paint protection we would have covered her. She thought we were crazy for even implying it was bird poo. Anyway, sure it's a pitch and sure we make money, but seriously, if you have kids or pets, you'll probably get your money outta it if you remember to use it!

Old 06-03-2016, 08:31 AM
Jus Cruisin
Senior User
They're just doing their job. They may remind you of a plan/service you wanted and forgot about at time of delivery. You'd be mad after the fact if you weren't reminded. All you need to say is "No" to the offers. No big deal. If you can't say no, then you have other issues....

I just bought my King Ranch and I said no to most of the offers but I did say yes to the ESP because it was cheaper than I could get in Florida. If bought in Florida we must pay the list price by law.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:00 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If bought in Florida we must pay the list price by law.
Gotta love equality!

Old 06-03-2016, 09:09 AM
Jus Cruisin
Senior User
Originally Posted by Frantz
Gotta love equality!
One of the minuses down here. BUT....we have way too many plusses to complain!

Old 06-03-2016, 10:16 PM
mtondreo
Senior User
If bought in Florida we must pay the list price by law.[/QUOTE]

I was not aware of this, but I typically buy some type of ESP.

Adding my .02, Our 2011 Expy has already front and rear blend doors done (40k mi), but I ran out of oil changes because I changed the oil too often. Also we have replaced 2 or TPMS sensors which are not covered under the ESP.
When I questioned the ESP on my truck with covered oil changes, he said I would run out on it also because I change the oil too often. He also told me that they recommend the interval I am using because of our harsh environment. I then questioned him as to why they did not offer an ESP for "harsher" environments that would cover the time outlined in the ESP - he said he could not answer that for me.

Now, most of this is my fault because I am used to changing at 3k mi and I know the manual states differently. I do know that they knocked another 2% off of my finance rate though because I bought the ESP.

Old 06-04-2016, 04:50 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by mtondreo
If bought in Florida we must pay the list price by law.
I was not aware of this, but I typically buy some type of ESP.

Adding my .02, Our 2011 Expy has already front and rear blend doors done (40k mi), but I ran out of oil changes because I changed the oil too often. Also we have replaced 2 or TPMS sensors which are not covered under the ESP.
When I questioned the ESP on my truck with covered oil changes, he said I would run out on it also because I change the oil too often. He also told me that they recommend the interval I am using because of our harsh environment. I then questioned him as to why they did not offer an ESP for "harsher" environments that would cover the time outlined in the ESP - he said he could not answer that for me.

Now, most of this is my fault because I am used to changing at 3k mi and I know the manual states differently. I do know that they knocked another 2% off of my finance rate though because I bought the ESP.[/QUOTE]

And what people should do before even beginning the dealership shopping experience is to arrange financing (if neeeded). Then walk on the lot without disclosing that you have your own financing, work a deal with all parties involved and give the F&I guy a chance to make it better or blow it.

I never shop without have first prearranged financing through Ford and or my CU.

Old 06-05-2016, 05:05 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts
I worked in a finance department. We always said people were in "yes mode" by the time we get to them, so it was our job to sell all this extra stuff. Our dealership didn't make much money off the sale of a new car. Our money was made in the finance department (and on tradins). Everything we sold in our department was almost pure profit and I suspect it is that way at most dealerships.
Those protection packages were a complete joke back when we did them & still are today. My wife has the protection package on her Cadillac. We have bugs on the front of the car that won't come off, that's not covered. We had bird poop leave a mark, that's not covered. The bird incident happen when she was out of town for 2 weeks. She was denied coverage because you have to wash that off immediately then bring the car back fro treatment. We have stains on the driver's seat. That's not covered because it's dye transfer. Then to joker that looked at the car had a pen in his pocket that made an ink stain. That's not covered either. That package was $750, she could have her car professionally detailed 5 times for that kind of money. Yes we did tell the dealer we bought 3 cars from them & will not buy a 4th unless this is fixed.
If you want an ESP, I would buy it online. It is cheaper than most dealers offer & best part no need to negotiate.
My 2012 EB has about 90,000 miles on it and the only maintenance it's needed was basic oil & filter changes.
On my Fiesta I bought a 75,000 mile service plan for just about $200. It included oil changes, filters & wiper blades. The policy was pretty strict on oil changes. I wouldn't get another one of those packages, it was basically pay up front for the service, then deal with their rules.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:11 AM
Excelerater
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never met a finance guy at a car dealer ship who was not a slimy maggot of a human.

Multiple credit checks,multiple up sales
This is the guy who wants to sell you the rust proofing,the ext warrentys and all sorts of
garbage the dealer makes huge profits on..I have literally in the past walked off a deal
because of these maggots

Old 06-06-2016, 08:18 AM
jr105
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
I don't understand why so many are offended by this sales practice. Everyone who has bought a car or truck knows it's coming. If you're not interested just say no and move on, nothing to get upset about.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:41 AM
Jus Cruisin
Senior User
Originally Posted by Excelerater
I never met a finance guy at a car dealer ship who was not a slimy maggot of a human.

Multiple credit checks,multiple up sales
This is the guy who wants to sell you the rust proofing,the ext warrentys and all sorts of
garbage the dealer makes huge profits on..I have literally in the past walked off a deal
because of these maggots
Why don't just tell us how you really feel......... They were probably glad to be rid of such a "pleasant" individual........

Quick Reply: Finance manager trickery and items offered at close of sale