Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Finance manager trickery and items offered at close of sale

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 09:41 AM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jr105
I don't understand why so many are offended by this sales practice. Everyone who has bought a car or truck knows it's coming. If you're not interested just say no and move on, nothing to get upset about.
Because most F&I worms won't take no for an answer. Or they hide costs. Or they just blatantly screw things up - like on my 2016, where I had an excellent sales experience (fleet guy, no BS), but the finance guy tacked on a bunch of stuff and screwed up both the documentation fee (X-plan) and tax calculation.

If they gave you a list and said "do you want any of this stuff?" and dropped it when you said "no", fine. You become a slimy worm when you start hiding things and trying to sneak it by me.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:04 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Right, at least in the past, the car buying experience could be extremely unpleasant and these guys are pros at wearing people down, taking hours to do what should take minutes, deceptive practices, hidden microphones etc. They do it day after day every day 365, the average person doesn't stand a chance. Then the finance people take over and the process more or less begins anew. What did you expect people are going to say about all that?

Old 06-06-2016, 10:27 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts
I don't know. It's always been easy for us to get through that part of the deal. We say "No." to 99% of the fru-fru, and move on. To me, they are just doing a job, and they never seem "pushy". Maybe it's an attitude thing.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:17 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by GlueGuy
I don't know. It's always been easy for us to get through that part of the deal. We say "No." to 99% of the fru-fru, and move on. To me, they are just doing a job, and they never seem "pushy". Maybe it's an attitude thing.
And a leadership thing. Douchey GM/owner, douchey F&I guy... in my experience.

I've got a fleet salesguy because I want zero BS - I know what I want down to the order code, order it and call me when it's here. I want the same experience on the finance side. If sales is a game, you're doing it wrong.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:20 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Believe it or not, your sales person has the ability to administer the deal from his/her cubical with out the F&I person ever getting involved.

I had a negative experience with the F&I guy when I bought my 2010 Focus, he was pushy but did back off when I walked out the front doors. When I went back to get my 2011, I said that if I have to encounter their F&I guy, I'll kill the deal and walk for good. The salesman did my paperwork.

With that said, i still feel that the F&I guy did what the dealer paid him to do, that doesn't make him a worm, a maggot or any less of a human. He was doing his job and he pissed me off in the process.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:31 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
From what I've read it's a lot better than it used to be. They would do things like throw the keys to your trade-in on the roof, stuff like that. lol

Old 06-07-2016, 11:53 AM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Tedster9
From what I've read it's a lot better than it used to be. They would do things like throw the keys to your trade-in on the roof, stuff like that. lol
"Do you want to get shot? Because that's how you get shot."

Old 06-07-2016, 01:54 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Believe it or not, your sales person has the ability to administer the deal from his/her cubical with out the F&I person ever getting involved.
I think it depends on some state laws. Maybe it was company policy, they wouldn't let me pen deals until I went through PennDOTs basic agency course. If I have a customer that I know just wants in and out (or even off site) then I just do it for em. If they express interest in a warranty I feed em to the sharks! JK, well not really. I think most people are are smart enough to realize that the margins are getting thin for dealerships on vehicles with internet pricing. The customer wants the lowest price possible, well to stay in business you gotta make it somewhere. Most retail deals have more "back end" profit than front end. Thank your F&I guy for selling so much product so the dealership can make money on other people while you decline anything that isn't of value to you. It really is why we can undercut ourselves so much. Dealerships that advertise the absolute lowest prices tend to be the worst with fees and aftermarket mark ups. It's how they stay in business. Break even on the car and hope you get lucky in the finance office. Not to say the market wouldn't have evolved this way regardless, but the demand for low internet prices has made the requirement higher for dealerships. Just another perspective (-=

Old 06-11-2016, 01:07 PM
MarkyB98
Junior User
So, I just traded my 15 F-150 for a 16 F-250 yesterday. No complaints about the dealership, in at noon, out at 3:00. Their "up front" price was $500 below X-plan. Finance guy made his pitch, (The Ford ESP plans) I politely declined, we moved on to finish the paperwork.

Old 06-11-2016, 02:23 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My advice is to stay cool and calm, and politely decline any extras that you don't want. If you want an ESP, you can always buy it at a later date after you shop for prices. Either from your selling dealer or thru mail order, etc.

I guess an exception might be if you need to finance the ESP over 60 or 72 months or whatever the time period of your loan is and need to bake it into your monthly payment.

There have been local dealers who used the old "tower" system where the salesman got you into the room and gave you the hard sell while the manager watched on video and called out the salesman if things were not going well--they'd send in another guy or double-team you if you were being "difficult". I have walked out of a couple dealers who used these kinds of unnerving tactics.

Finally, always know what you are paying for a vehicle in total on a bottom-line cash basis. Do NOT use "monthly payment" as a gauge of what you can afford.

George

Old 06-11-2016, 10:59 PM
14&Ford
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Go in to your negotiation EDUCATED. I know from THIS forum that i DID NOT have to purchase the Ford ESP plan from the dealer i bought it from. I could purchase it from ANY dealer in the nation.

SO, i wanted the 5 year, 125,000 mile, $100 deductable ESP Premium plan.

The dealer i bought it from, got his book out and said "$2645.00 for that one"

I turned my smart phone around to him and showed him the SAME warranty quoted from Lombard Ford (on the internet) and it was $1945.00

They guy said "sure, ill do that. its $100 over cost but hey?"

So my research saved me a few Hundred bucks. Game over and im happy.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:50 AM
Excelerater
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin
Why don't just tell us how you really feel......... They were probably glad to be rid of such a "pleasant" individual........
Nope,the opposite actually. I have bought two vehicles this year from the same
sales guy.needless to say they think highly of me. However I get your suggestion of me being hard to deal with.. Yes,it can happen

Old 06-12-2016, 02:38 PM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by YoGeorge

There have been local dealers who used the old "tower" system where the salesman got you into the room and gave you the hard sell while the manager watched on video and called out the salesman if things were not going well--they'd send in another guy or double-team you if you were being "difficult". I have walked out of a couple dealers who used these kinds of unnerving tactics.

George
I had that happen. and they tried to tell me that I "needed" the car. I got pissed off. I told them I don't "need" your car. I have a car and I can drive it home just like I drove here. and I told them Guess what? you just lost a sale. Ive never bought a car there........not saying I wont, but they never have had what I wanted when I was in the market for a car.

Old 06-12-2016, 03:00 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Tedster9
Or loose the damn keys to your car

Old 06-16-2016, 11:58 AM
David W Jones
Tuned
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Both Long Lewis Ford Hoover and Hoover Toyota were easy to deal with back when I bought my last cars in 2012. Once I got to the F&I guys office I signed a few things, was offered some stuff I said no to and left both places feeling like I got a straight deal all around. Trade-in, price on the new vehicles and at the F&I office.

Quick Reply: Finance manager trickery and items offered at close of sale