Bronco II Ford Bronco II

im thinkin about gettin a bronco 2

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 11:26 PM
SomedudefromGA770
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im thinkin about gettin an 87 bronco 2 and i wanted to know if the lift kits for an 87 bronco would work on it bc im really confused on that,also i wanted to know if the top is removable on it in the rear bc im confused on that too,if you guys could help me out i would really appreciate it.

thanks,
hans

Old 08-16-2003, 09:33 AM
mrshorty
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know for sure, but I would be surprised if lift kits for a full size Bronco would fit a BII. I would expect them to be too different. Lift kits for Rangers, on the other hand, might be compatible. And, there are those (like James Duff) who make lift kits especially for the BII.
The top is removable, but it requires good cutting tools (cutting torch and the like) and time to get it off. And, I'm not sure on this, because I haven't looked into it, but once you get it off, can you put the top back on?

Old 08-16-2003, 10:34 AM
GrayRanger4x4
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can check out this site https://www.ford-trucks.com/ for lifts and how to chop the top of your BII.

Old 08-16-2003, 07:12 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to FTE!!!

I agree, the full size B kit won't work on a BII.

Old 08-16-2003, 10:47 PM
WeWonIt
Elder User

If you want the top off you might as well get a full size Bronco, cause it was designed to be removable. You will actually have to cut the top off and fabricate a cover for it on a Bronco II. Yeah it looks cool when completed but typically it can't be used as an suv except on sunny days with the top off. The rest of the time it is just a shorter version of a Ranger, with a tonau cover. And if you want to tote a few friends in the cold it's usless. But for those of you with chopped tops I respect the craftsmanship involved.

Old 08-16-2003, 11:40 PM
SomedudefromGA770
New User

thanks guys and ill look into all the stuff you told me about

Old 08-17-2003, 12:21 AM
SomedudefromGA770
New User

also with the top aside i was hoping to be able to put 40 tires on the bronco II would i be able to and do u know a lift kit that would let me get it lifted enough to?

Old 08-17-2003, 12:27 PM
WeWonIt
Elder User

There are alot of kits that would allow for that. James Duff is a good place to start. It's a little expensive but in my opinion one of the best companies. JC Whitney is a pretty good source of affordable parts and lifts also. The sky is the limit for lifting, but good luck pushing those 40 inch tires with stock equiptment maybe some heavier axles and lower gears are in order. The 2.9 is a good engine to start with but a swap may be in order down the road as well. Good luck with it and remember a truck is only fun if it is not in the shop.

Old 08-17-2003, 09:25 PM
beefysbronco
Senior User

40's on a D28 and 7.5? Might last a mile or 2. If you want to use 40's plan on swapping in some axles. And plan on spending some serious dollars. Wanna see what a stock B2 can do? Check out my pics: http://www.cardomain.com/id/beefysbronco

Old 08-17-2003, 09:41 PM
WeWonIt
Elder User

Amen, to the power of a stock B2, Mine is mostly stock, plus 2 inches suspension and KYB gas-a-just shocks. My stock size tires work fine never stuck yet "knock on wood"

Old 08-17-2003, 10:54 PM
beefysbronco
Senior User

Originally posted by B2SARDOG
Amen, to the power of a stock B2, Mine is mostly stock, plus 2 inches suspension and KYB gas-a-just shocks. My stock size tires work fine never stuck yet "knock on wood"
My tires are a slightly larger and completely worn out 235/75-15's. Still, I went down to the river yesterday, drove 2.1 miles downstream and rescued a very stuck Expedition. I love my B2.
I have been stuck 3 times this year. All three times due to driver stupidity. I wheel aggressively and this thing is so dependable sometimes I think it's impervious to stuck. Then I get stuck. Usually while showing off. LOL

Twice I had to ask for help to get unstuck.

Old 08-18-2003, 09:26 PM
SomedudefromGA770
New User

yea 40s might be a bit much for now seein as how my budget will be very low until i start workin the summer for my dad,then the bucks come in.but in yalls opinion what would be the largest tire to go for with stock axles,gears,and engine?

Old 08-18-2003, 09:37 PM
beefysbronco
Senior User

I run 235-75/15 with no clearance issues. These tires measure 29 inches tall. I have heard of people running 31's with the proper wheel. According to Dana the early D28 should not be run with a tire larger then 30". Some people have run larger tires then that with no problems. Me? The tires I am running now are to tall for the gears that I have so acceleration and gas mileage suffered. I've yet to break anything and as you can tell by my pics I am hard on it. I go off-roading every day.

Old 08-19-2003, 03:27 PM
SomedudefromGA770
New User

yea i can tell you give it a good work out also right now it belongs to a good friend of mine which is why im gonna buy it from him mainly-(trust and a good price) hes got it in the shop right now but pretty soon me and him will prolly work on it bc the mechanics hes got it at now we think r just jerkin him one and tryin to get him on a whacked out labor cost,but the prob is that when he drives it every now and then itll just stall out when hes drivin (its an auto) and we think its the vacuum line and i think it could also be a fuel system prob any ideas?

Old 08-19-2003, 03:52 PM
mrshorty
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the big causes of unexplained stalling in BII's is the TFI ignition module. It gets too hot and stops sending spark to the plugs. I would assume that your mechanics have checked it, but you never know.

Quick Reply: im thinkin about gettin a bronco 2