Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1989 F150 4x4 Swap Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 10:14 PM
raystankewitz
Posting Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Lane89F150
Well, my family is obviously going to help me. The only "trouble" from the many, many threads i have read say that the only problem is the transmission. All the other stuff swap right over without a hitch (except for the leaf springs being wider on the 4x4). Plus where i live you kinda need the 4x4. Im more than capable of doing this. Its called learning ya'know. Ill make a build thread and uh show you that i can do it.
Well, since you're dead set to do this build, I'll offer this advice. Find a same-year truck with the correct transmission. No "Almost" or "It's just two years off", get the same year truck. that way, all of the parts are "The Right Year." Wheelbase doesn't matter, the cab, bed and fenders could be ready to fall off from rust. Just make sure the year and trans are right. You might have to do a rear driveshaft but that's minor.

Good luck and don't forget to do a build thread.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:26 PM
AKHunter93
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I gotta ask some obvious questions... If you sold this one, why wouldn't you be able to buy another? Is there something preventing you from taking the funds from the sale and turning around and buying another one? Surely, if your family is willing to help do a 4x4 conversion, they should also be willing to help you just find a 4x4 to buy.

If you need 4x4 in your area, and you know that, then why did you buy a 2wd truck?

Old 11-03-2019, 08:16 PM
Lane89F150
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well years later and y'all gave me pretty much zero help besides get a 4x4 so, im putting a solid dana 44 under it which is the best option because no matter what old truck I buy I'm going to have to do this, and I want 4 wheel drive because i like drinking beers and rippin ****ties off of cook and brown

Old 11-03-2019, 09:02 PM
Da_Lariat_Chariot
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, this is an old thread! I barely remember commenting on this. I got two answers for ya. First, here's my gut reaction: You are still stuck on converting this thing . I don't get it, you're literally going to have to rebuild your entire front end to do what, make the front wheels spin when you want them to? Who cares? All just to say "hey y'all I got a 4x4!" Cool, the front wheels give traction now, whoop-de-doo. High five to you, Internet stranger. (Take all that with a grain of salt and pretend it's sarcasm)

My second, more thought out answer: If you want someone to give you some REAL guidance I would ask Briansshop since he usually supports these kinds of threads and (someone correct if I'm wrong) he's actually finished a 4x4 conversion. Or find a shop that will gladly take your money to do it for you. In the 3 years since you started this thread have you gained any practical wrenching experience? Tools? Workspace? A donor truck/parts?

Old 11-04-2019, 11:56 AM
hadfield4wd
Senior User
Well years later and y'all gave me pretty much zero help besides get a 4x4 so, im putting a solid dana 44 under it which is the best option because no matter what old truck I buy I'm going to have to do this, and I want 4 wheel drive because i like drinking beers and rippin ****ties off of cook and brown
I see a bunch of help here. especially in regards to the transmission. This is not a small job and the people here wanted to gauge your experience level. Which seems to be a little low to undertake a large project like this.

Solid axle swap (SAS) will require a good welder. You don't want these mounts coming off. Also somebody who has experience making sure everything is lined up so you're not "crab walking" down the road. Are you planning leaf springs in the front or radius arms and coils? Why SAS? There is nothing wrong with a well sorted TTB front end. Will ride better and unless you're doing serious rock crawling will hold up fine.

But like said earlier you'll need trans and transfer case. And front end components. Don't forget you'll at least need to shorten and rebalance your rear drive shaft as well. Like said earlier. Get a donor truck and park them side by side. Bold on TTB will be the easies and will only require an alignment when you're done. Get all new bushings etc. Rebuild axles as you go. Ball Joints, ujoints etc. You can actually do it in stages. You can put the front axle in without hooking up a driveshaft and drive it around with your current 2wd tranny. Or vice versa, swap out the transmission and transfer case without putting in the front axle.

If you're going SAS make sure the differential on the axle is the same side as the output of the transfer case. This sis just off the top of my head. There are a bunch of little things that always creep up on a project like this.

My 17 year old has a project car (little autocross car) and is a pretty good wrench. He can pull, rebuild and reinstall his transmission in a weekend. But it's not his only car. Try not to have your DD be your project car, because you'll end up half-assing things so you can drive to school on Monday. It also helps if you have access to copious amounts of tools. That is an advantage my son has I basically have all the tools needed.

Old 11-04-2019, 12:20 PM
Lane89F150
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think 36s on ttb is a good idea dude. I know I need a high pinion Dana 44 and they both need matching gears (front and rear) and the tranny is a aod, 8.8 rear end will eventually go 9 inch, I have sentimental value in this truck and want to do it right that's why I won't just get a new truck. This really isn't as big a deal as y'all are making i just watched some goober do this on YouTube, the leaf springs or coild is where I'm having some issues planning this out. My buddy's brother has built buggies and all kinds of **** so I have his shop and him for help. Pretty much a restoration kinda sorta but for the woods idk make it nice tear it up repeat. Appreciate the help

Old 11-04-2019, 12:40 PM
hadfield4wd
Senior User
I don't think 36s on ttb is a good idea dude. I know I need a high pinion Dana 44 and they both need matching gears (front and rear) and the tranny is a aod, 8.8 rear end will eventually go 9 inch, I have sentimental value in this truck and want to do it right that's why I won't just get a new truck. This really isn't as big a deal as y'all are making i just watched some goober do this on YouTube, the leaf springs or coild is where I'm having some issues planning this out. My buddy's brother has built buggies and all kinds of **** so I have his shop and him for help. Pretty much a restoration kinda sorta but for the woods idk make it nice tear it up repeat. Appreciate the help
See here you go. Keep giving us information. This is the first time you mentioned 36's. A d44 is borderline for 36's. You'll also need alloys and alloy joints for the shafts. The 9" will need full alloys too. If you want to do it right, just get a set of D60's out of a truck and swap those it. You won't need alloys if you stick with 36's or even if you move to 38's.

You'll probable have to beef up your steering. You can do hydro assist.

Don't forget lockers etc.

Also I will say this will be more expensive than just buying a 4wd truck, but hey it's your money. Also I will say this on the lines of buying another truck. If this one has sentimental value don't beat the **** out of it. Keep it as your DD and in decent shape. And go buy a late 70's f250