Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Ford F150 vs Chevy Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 12:49 AM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Our family farm/cattle feed lot has worked with a Texas ranch for over 40 years and laughed at how many times they have gone back and forth between truck brands and sworn up-and-down how great each one is as they change.... Just buy the truck you want...

Last edited by twigsV10; 05-31-2016 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Spelling.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:05 AM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree pretty much with all previous statements, and I'll add that I started actually purchasing Ford trucks after being employed by a company that pretty much uses Ford trucks exclusively, and these trucks take a beating with preventive maintenance that is marginal at best. My advice would be to test drive all of them and make a decision then. I personally don't care for GM due to bad experiences in the past (and a couple other reasons) but the trucks aren't "Bad"......I think either manufacturer probably has a trim level that would fit your preferred use, etc... Being on a
"Ford" truck forum, most of us will naturally lean towards Ford trucks, I honestly can't give you a educated opinion on a Silverado cause I haven't driven one in several years.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:47 AM
redford
Received 1,562 Likes on 910 Posts
All brands have some "warts" but for the most part everyone is building a good truck these days. Read the internet forums to find out what the story is on each brand, make your choice accordingly.

As for asking advice on which is the best truck, don't ask someone who is happy with the purchase. Find people who are unhappy. You'll get a more honest answer.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:01 AM
Jus Cruisin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas stations are a great place to get opinion/reviews of vehicles. Instead of just standing there looking at Facebook or picking your nose, wander over to a vehicle you're interested in and actually talk to the owner.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:05 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It was interesting to me the other day when at a Ford event they showed all these statistics about Fords complete dominance in the working truck categories. While Ford still lead, they were weakest in agriculture, with Chevy just a few points behind (and I guess Ram was on that list somewhere too). My own father in law (who I rent our house from) is a farmer and only drives Chevy. Now, Ford was still outselling Chevy, but it's not hard to find die hard Chevy farmers, but you don't see too many die hard Chevy construction fleets. I'm not really offering speculation here as to the why's, but it was something I was left pondering.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:26 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin
Gas stations are a great place to get opinion/reviews of vehicles. Instead of just standing there looking at Facebook or picking your nose, wander over to a vehicle you're interested in and actually talk to the owner.
Now what am I gonna do while I'm waiting for that 36 gallon tank to fill?

Old 05-31-2016, 02:15 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
One vs the other debate can go on for months with little accomplishment.

To the OP, do yourself a favor and broaden your circle and drive them all. Be fair to yourself and the truck builders and try to choose like equipment and similar pricing structures so money (before all incentives) isn't the decider.

I think you'll find goodness in all trucks and that all truck makers build a truck that the average American needs. The fact is, most of us really don't need a truck, we have them because we love them.

Old 05-31-2016, 02:55 PM
deserteagle69
Mountain Pass
Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by SoftwareDeveloper
What are some disadvantages and advantages of these trucks?

Yesterday I ate at a nice rib and brisket restaurant and an older man gave me a compliment on my new red wing heritage boots...After a while I started talking and they invited me to sit with them. You can tell these were hardcore 100% real ranchers, talking about how many cattle and different animals they have and that one of them sold to a big chain etc...

Well during the conversation I told them I wanted to get a truck and I said which one do you guys recommend? These are some exact sentences I remember:

1. "Chevy all the way baby"
2. "Get yourself a silverado, they last ages"
3. "Looks like we all drive chevys hear, except billy has that old bronco hahaha".

So it was about 6 chevys vs 1 ford bronco. This is so hard for me I don't know what to do. I love the way the ford looks in the front tough I just dont know why so many of these wealthy ranchers prefer chevys...
"Hard-Core Ranchers"??? Those ranchers must live on pavement!

I live in the outback where all there is, is mining and ranching. The mines are 100% Ford. The ranches wouldn't know what to do with an F150 or any other half-ton. All of the ranches around here run either Dodge/Ram or Ford diesels, usually flatbeds. Any Chevy they might have is usually an old one that's been around for years but they are far and few between. Seems they fell out of favor back in the mid-80s when GM went to independent front suspension. And GM didn't do themselves any favors when they hung the DEF tank under their diesels down below the frame rail - how can you take that truck off pavement?

Old 05-31-2016, 03:03 PM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
Oil fields and ranches around here are dominated by Ford. The oil fields use a lot of F150s as well as Super Duties. Ranches are predominantly 8 lug trucks because of the need for gooseneck hitches.

Old 05-31-2016, 03:18 PM
Diamnd1
Laughing Gas
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
[QUOTE=deserteagle69;16324691]" Seems they fell out of favor back in the mid-80s when GM went to independent front suspension. QUOTE]

This is the very reason I will drive a Ford. I want a solid front axle not IFS. Yeah it may ride a little rough, but I don't have to worry about alignments every 3 months or some other part failure. I see sooo many brand new Chevy's around here that have worn tires, or the wheels plowing down the road. It's comical.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:16 PM
Ancona
Senior User
I also prefer a solid front axle, but the F-150 switched from solid front axles to IFS (with the twin-traction beam) in 1980.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:48 PM
scottscott
Fleet Mechanic
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts
Combine the best features from Ford, Chevy & lamb tough Dodge into one truck & you'd have a heck of a truck. Since that can't happen, drive 'em all & buy what works best for you.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:49 PM
wannafbody
New User
I have a 09 Silverado and a 13 F150. I prefer the flat floor and EB of the F150 but overall, in regards to quality, they are both pretty much a draw. I haven't had any real issues with either and the Silverado has 90,000 miles.

Old 06-01-2016, 03:55 AM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JKBrad
Oil fields and ranches around here are dominated by Ford. The oil fields use a lot of F150s as well as Super Duties. Ranches are predominantly 8 lug trucks because of the need for gooseneck hitches.
Yep, around here also....We had base model F150's, and they really take a lot of abuse.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:23 AM
jamesroadking
Freshman User
Over the years it seems that every time I'm seriously looking at purchasing a truck, I go to the Chevy, Dodge and Toyota dealerships and they might have five to ten trucks on the lots, we test drove a few, but when it comes to getting serious the sales people don't budge too much on the prices or anything. More recently, in Janurary 2012 we were looking at picking up a used diesel truck, we ended up with new 2011 F250 discounted over $10K. In 2015 my son wanted a new truck, he's always had Toyota's but after driving my F250 he wanted to switch to a Ford, we found a new Ecoboast 3.5 4X4 XLT for $8500 below MSRP on the local Ford dealers internet sales. It always gets down to the, most truck for the price, and the other manufactures just don't seem interested in negotiating on the out the door price.

Quick Reply: Ford F150 vs Chevy Silverado