1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Great White still isn't cutting it

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 06:52 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great White still isn't cutting it

Hope everyone is having an awesome memorial day weekend! I spent most of it out at the campground on a shake down run for the camper to make sure it's all up to snuff.

The reason for the thread is mostly a place to gather thoughts. I have spoken with many of you individually trying to track down and figure out why this truck and camper just can't seem to get along.

Background for those who don't know: Last summer I upgraded to a travel trailer. A 22ft long mallard. Empty weight 4k, max weight 6k. A week after I bought it I pulled it down to Eastern Tennessee to RRE, and had nothing but trouble with EGTs. Did a intake test and found the plenums were leaking, resealed those, no help.

Drive home was the same, sustained high EGTS and was actually slowing everyone else in our convoy down. Couldn't hold speed up the hills, hit 2nd gear even a couple times. All would just delay the inevitable. There were a few runs where I had to hold it over 1300 for a mile or 2. Just a total lack of power. Never could turn the chip up because it would burry the Pyro.

Very disgusted, I started a thread, and over the course of then to now started trying things. I have changed sticks (known good stock set from another member) went back to stock size tires, turbo is fresh, nothing seems to matter. I also get a lot of smoke on cold start and it takes a while to go away. Recently with the warmer temps it hasn't been bad. But with a proper functioning glow plug system it shouldn't do it at all. I've tried swapping sensors (map and baro), nothing seems to change anything.

Compression numbers were anywhere from 280-320 with most of them around the 300 mark. I know this isnt ideal, but there are known engines working with less that this doesnt seem to be an issue.

Fuel pressure is good, lowest it drops us 40ish under heavy load. To be expected from the stock system.

I'm trying to think if I've left anything out...

Coming home today I took the camper for a spin and while EGTS don't seem to be as bad, they still get hot, even with my custom tunes. Boost is poor imo, really standing on it It was 15psi at 2k Rpm and it was fast enough it wouldn't grab the gear below it. I know if I left for Tennessee tomorrow, it would be more of the same 1 eye on the pyro one on the road.

When you have had another PSD that was bare bones stock (intake and down pipe) that will pull any load without issues and the one with less miles can't pull the same load it's very frustrating.

So, with all that rambling out of the way my questions are:

Have I missed somthing? Is my engine just thst worn out?

My thought is on a rebuild at this point, I know it's expensive, but I don't like the thought of sticking another engine I know nothing about in and then have it be the same or worse than now.

However budget is a concern too. My job situation right now is still up in the air and to be perfectly honest I'm nosy sure what is going to happen.

Only way I would buy an engine is if It was well documented and could spit out a good compression test. I am in mood to do this twice. I've shelled out enough money that I pry could have had this all done already, and the fact that nothing I've done has helped or improved it enough to make a difference is very very frustrating.

Im not going to throw mods at this motor untill I can get the temps under controll. More fuel and air isn't gonna help if I'm melting pistons. It shouldn't be getting hot with the stock set up anyway. No reason for that.

So there it is, sorry for the book, I'll shut up now.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:49 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Sorry to hear that Thomas, I to came from a trip wich was opposite of yours.
The first thing that comes to mind when egts look higher would be the gauge or probe itself, check those first, the other thing would be a weak HPOP.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:57 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
What tune were you towing in

Old 05-29-2016, 08:09 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
It was the heavy tow tune. I'm using the same guy Aaron is using for tunes.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:11 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Originally Posted by z31freakify
Sorry to hear that Thomas, I to came from a trip wich was opposite of yours.
The first thing that comes to mind when egts look higher would be the gauge or probe itself, check those first, the other thing would be a weak HPOP.
HPOP has crossed my mind. I would like to swap in a super duty pump, If I could find one.

With the new tunes, it seems to be 2500-2600 @ 35% dc.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:12 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
It everything is sealed with no boost or pre turbo exhaust leaks if be looking at turbo condition, injectors and tuning

Old 05-29-2016, 08:16 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
With stock sticks in mine I had trouble getting it that hot.
Shove a leaf blower in the tail pipe and check for exhaust leaks

Old 05-29-2016, 08:16 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
I do need to leak check again. Lack of equipment prevented any real testing in Tennessee.

One thing I've noticed is I would usually hear the air still moving in the 6637 for a few seconds after shut down, I haven't noticed this much as of recently.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:18 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Originally Posted by fordpride
With stock sticks in mine I had trouble getting it that hot.
Shove a leaf blower in the tail pipe and check for exhaust leaks
Oooh, I like this idea. I will try this. May even include a pic or two.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:50 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
With soapy water spray all the connections pre turbo.
Manifolds, uppipes, collector, and turbine housing

Old 05-30-2016, 09:47 AM
madMatador78
Postmaster
I will try this. I'll also add that the up pipes are new, last time I checked there was no noticeable soot.

Doesn't mean things haven't changed though.

Another member is hooking me up with a hpop to try, and possibly a turbo if it proves this one has somthing wrong with it.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:42 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
An update to this issue. I think we have hit the end of the road for things to try. I was on my way home Saturday night, and the hpop hit 3200psi and held 3000 at 41 percent, and I wasn't even pushing it that hard. So pretty sure the hpop is working.

This is what we have pieced together.

3 years ago when I bought the truck the PO had told me about installing the goosekneck hitch and that he had only used it one time. I think he knew somthing was up then and decided to sell. I know. Besides the point now, but I really think I did somthing to the motor on the rre trip last year from getting it hot. My bet is on rings. There were several sustsained runs above 1300. It was that or slow down more and I was already slowing everyone down.

The blow by has worsened in my time with it. Its heavy pulling days are over for now. Just local trips for at least the short term.

So here's where I'm at. If I don't locate a motor, this one will get pulled and taken apart to see about viability for rebuilding.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:51 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Did you check for boost leaks? Exhaust leaks?

Old 06-28-2016, 09:01 PM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 874 Likes on 665 Posts
if blowby has increased, that's not a good sign

seen some engines on ebay for 1500 complete from a fleet

some deals are out there so maybe get a different known good engine and do it up nice and drop it in on a weekend

Old 06-28-2016, 10:33 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 397 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by knottyrope
if blowby has increased, that's not a good sign

seen some engines on ebay for 1500 complete from a fleet

some deals are out there so maybe get a different known good engine and do it up nice and drop it in on a weekend
The big issue in my head is that huge cloud upon startup. That's not normal at all and especially with good gp and new relay.
Get the big fork it's DONE!

Quick Reply: Great White still isn't cutting it