Sponsored by: DP Tuner

check door sensors with instrument cluster test

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 11:06 AM
tgosser
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check door sensors with instrument cluster test

I have a 2002 f250 screw. my door ajar light is lit up on the dash. I have tried the wd40 trick, pulled the sensors and bench tested them. does anyone know the codes the instrument cluster test has for each door? could you guys check them and list them out? list by year and door. what im thinking is, if we get a list posted it would be much easier to diagnose the door sensors for others. there should be a open/closed bit for each door. possibly a code for all doors open too. I am curious if there is a code for bad communication on the VSM.
from what I have read, correctly working the doors should read 00 when they are closed. drivers front open=80, pass front open=40
my door code does not change no matter what combination of door open/close I use.
truck is 2002 f250 crew cab
my code is
C0

Old 05-29-2016, 03:07 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
I know you can do with with AutoEnginuity with the Ford enhanced bundle. I've done it a few times.

Set up for live data for each door (incl rear if Excursion). "0" is closed, "1" is open.

Just realize the hatch on the Excursion has TWO sensors and it won't tell you which one. But you can pull the switch, jump the two wires to eliminate one at a time and see which on is the problem.

I don't know how/if it can be done from the dash

Old 05-29-2016, 05:16 PM
tgosser
New User
from the dash cluster hold down the trip button, then turn koeo, keep holding for a couple more seconds and it goes into test mode. then you release button, then when you push button it will cycle through the self tests. it will get to the door and it will have a hexadecimal code. each code corresponds with the door(s) open/closed. I was needing to know which code for which door open or closed. thanks

Old 05-29-2016, 05:26 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
I didn't know you could do that!

Does it update in realtime? If so, couldn't you try each door and see if it changes? If it changes, that door's sensor is working

Old 05-29-2016, 05:47 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
I have seen some diagnostics on Cadillacs long time ago and I thought he might be going that way. The Cadillac used the radio to get the readings. What all can you get off of it?

Old 05-29-2016, 09:06 PM
tgosser
New User
the doors do update in real time. but mine just gives me one code which is C0, no matter which door I open. from what I have read there is a different code for each door. that's what I was getting at. if I could get some folks to go test there working sensors, and post the readings they get for each door, it would help in troubleshooting. thanks

Old 05-29-2016, 09:23 PM
tgosser
New User
as far as what all it checks, here are some of them.

this is not my work, it was found here

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...new-today.html

Here's the odometer function followed by a description.

GAGE - Carries out gauge sweep of all gauges, then displays the present gauge values. Also carries out the check sum test on ROM and EEPROM.

All segments illuminated.
Illuminates all odometer segments.

bulb
Illuminates all micro-controlled lamps and LEDs.

r ####
Returns to normal operation of all micro-controlled lamps and LEDs and displays hexadecimal value for ROM level (used when requesting assistance from the hotline).

nr####
Displays hexidecimal ROM level and type as stored in non-volatile memory (NVM).

EE ##
Displays hexadecimal value for EE level (used when requesting assistance from the hotline).

dt ####
Displays hexadecimal code for the final manufacturing date.

###C
Gas engines display last temperature gauge input value from SCP, temperature gauge will indicate present temperature. Diesel engine displays present temperature analog/digital input in decimal as a ratio, temperature gauge will indicate present temperature.

dtc ####
Displays a 16 bit DTC in hexidecimal format. DTCs displayed are those detected in continuous operation not during self-test.

EnG
Displays English speed value being input, speedometer will indicate present speed.

m
Displays metric speed value being input, speedometer will indicate present speed.
tAc Displays the tachometer value being input to the instrument cluster. Tachometer will indicate present rpm.

FUEL
Displays the present analog/digital fuel level being input to the instrument cluster as a ratio.

OIL
Displays the last analog/digital reading of the oil pressure switch contact resistance, oil gauge will indicate present level.

br
Displays the brake fluid level in an analog/digital ratio value.

bAt ##.#
Displays present battery analog/digital voltage.

rhEo
Displays present hexadecimal pulse width modulation (PWM) dimming input.

rhi, rhS, rho
Alternating 1 second display of pulse width modulation (PWM) input duty cycle, SCP hexidecimal dimming step, output driver counts in hexadecimal.

Cr
RUN/START sense circuit check.

PA, Pb, PC, and Pd
Displays 8-bit hexadecimal value for the Port A, B, C, and D readings (used when requesting information from the hotline).

PE0-PE7
Displays 8-bit hexadecimal value for the Port E0-Port E7 in analog/digital readings

there are more sections including the door test.

to exit just turn key off.