1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F350 Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 10:18 PM
SuperDutyTruckFan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F350 Advice?

I am a brand new member to this forum. I deeply apoligize if I am violating any rules by posting these questions. Less than a month ago I purchased a 2002 F350 XLT SuperCab that had 250,000 miles on it. I paid under 5k for it. However, a few days ago it blew a head gasket. It also blew a spark plug and took the threads with it. So at this point. I was hoping to get some opinions on where I should go from here? The trans is still in good shape and the interior of the truck is nearly mint. I assume it would be better to sell the truck at a loss and get another one? I assume that getting a rebuilt engine installed would not be worth it due to the cost (I was quoted between 4-5 with labor)? Thank you!

Old 05-28-2016, 10:22 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
I'd look up the NADA value of the truck. If you can repair it and stay close to the value of the truck, you're golden.
If repairs are grossly more than the value of the truck, it's time to punt.

Old 05-28-2016, 10:33 PM
SuperDutyTruckFan
New User
Thanks for the reply. I looked the value up and it seems that in the current broken state, I would be lucky to get $2500. If it was working, it seems like it is worth aroumd 5k. So it is almost a wash. It seems that if I were to get a rem engine installed that it would still hurt the value. It almost seems that trucks with rem engines are worth less money than the same comparable truck with the factory engine. Does that soumd correct?

Old 05-29-2016, 02:51 AM
Ford'05HG
Elder User
Originally Posted by SuperDutyTruckFan
Thanks for the reply. I looked the value up and it seems that in the current broken state, I would be lucky to get $2500. If it was working, it seems like it is worth aroumd 5k. So it is almost a wash. It seems that if I were to get a rem engine installed that it would still hurt the value. It almost seems that trucks with rem engines are worth less money than the same comparable truck with the factory engine. Does that soumd correct?
Sounds like you need to clear some space in the garage and pull the heads. For another half a grand you can rebuild the engine for another 250,000 miles and to me, I'd take that any day over getting rid of it. I'm sorry I let my old beast go when it would've cost the trucks value times 2 to get in back in good order, but that truck had my back up until the last day and it was family at that point. Looking back, I'd spend that money with no regret, and I think you should give this truck a chance. Nothing like having a big old Ford truck.

Old 05-29-2016, 06:46 AM
rwilimo
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm wondering how both of these things happen at the same time. Having an insert installed for the spark plug is no big deal, I would recommend time-sert. As far as the head gasket what exactly happened?

Old 05-29-2016, 06:50 AM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I guess it depends on what you're intentions for the truck were when you bought it. If your plan was to keep the truck long term, then I would just fix it and continue owning and driving it like you planned. Does it have the right configuration/cab type you were looking for (crew cab vs extended vs regular, long bed vs short bed, 2x4 vs 4x4)?

How great of shape is the rest of the mechanicals on the truck? We're still talking a 15 model year old truck here. Does this thing need to be totally fail safe reliable, or are you able to afford other repairs as they come up? Unless there's been a regular service/repair schedule in this truck's past, you've got a bunch of stuff that will need attention soon. Transmission, diff's/axles, transfer case, brakes, suspension, steering, electrical, charging sys... All of this is 15 years old with a quarter million miles on it.

At least when you fix each part, you know going forward that now "that part" is now good again. If you simply sell this truck and start over again with another 250k mile truck, you start all over again with the unknown.

There's really no wrong answer either way you go, but if this truck's body, paint and interior is in really great condition, you may as well just keep this one as a base starter truck and repair it as it comes.

Old 05-29-2016, 04:11 PM
SuperDutyTruckFan
New User
Originally Posted by rwilimo
I'm wondering how both of these things happen at the same time. Having an insert installed for the spark plug is no big deal, I would recommend time-sert. As far as the head gasket what exactly happened?
I purchased the truck from a dealership. Based upon the Carfax report. It was used as a commercial truck in NY (one owner). From the time I purchased the truck to when the head gasket blew, I had driven it less than 40 miles. The dashboard engine light was on when I purchased it. I figured the light was on because it was due for an oil change. I had the oil changed as well as the filters. However, that did not fix the problem. I had the oil change place due a computer read on the truck. They stated that it was a sensor or a cylinder miss fire, both of which were not a huge deal. They said I could keep driving it for the next few weeks until I could get it looked at. Due to family and work, I wasn't able to get it looked at immediately (especially since they said it was not a big issue). On my way to take it to the mechanic to finally get it checked out. The engine made a loud boom and then started making a loud ticking noise. I got it to the mechanic and they told me I had blown a spark plug and head gasket (They quoted $3200.00 to fix). The strange thing is that the engine never overheated or smoked. I always thought your engine had to get very hot before a headgasket could blow?

Old 05-29-2016, 04:26 PM
Dave Koehler
Freshman User
You would be wise to seek a second and possibly a third diagnosis.
A blown out spark plug does not automatically cause a head gasket to blow.
OR
They did not want to fix the plug thread with the head on and quoted head R&R.

Old 05-29-2016, 04:27 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Take it to a different mechanic... have a complete compression test done...

you may NOT have a blown head gasket... just need the spark plug threads restored... (ez-sert) etc.

Old 05-29-2016, 04:27 PM
SuperDutyTruckFan
New User
Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim
I guess it depends on what you're intentions for the truck were when you bought it. If your plan was to keep the truck long term, then I would just fix it and continue owning and driving it like you planned. Does it have the right configuration/cab type you were looking for (crew cab vs extended vs regular, long bed vs short bed, 2x4 vs 4x4)?

How great of shape is the rest of the mechanicals on the truck? We're still talking a 15 model year old truck here. Does this thing need to be totally fail safe reliable, or are you able to afford other repairs as they come up? Unless there's been a regular service/repair schedule in this truck's past, you've got a bunch of stuff that will need attention soon. Transmission, diff's/axles, transfer case, brakes, suspension, steering, electrical, charging sys... All of this is 15 years old with a quarter million miles on it.

At least when you fix each part, you know going forward that now "that part" is now good again. If you simply sell this truck and start over again with another 250k mile truck, you start all over again with the unknown.

There's really no wrong answer either way you go, but if this truck's body, paint and interior is in really great condition, you may as well just keep this one as a base starter truck and repair it as it comes.
My original intention of buying this was to finally have a four wheel drive for the snow. I purchased it for $4500.00 OTD and thought that was a good price especially since I was seeing the same make, year, and model going for $8000.00 with 100,000 or so less miles. I also wanted something that I could tow a boat with. It has the Supercab with a long bed. I meant to keep this truck long term, but it seems like it would be almost worth just trying to trade in and getting the same truck that has less miles. Just like you were saying, I had the expectation that I would need to replace parts as they began to fail, however; I was not expecting the engine to fail this early on. Especially since I have seen many of these trucks go to 350,000 miles.....

I am honestly not sure about the rest of the mechanical portions of the truck. However, in regard to the body, it has a some large dents on the outside walls of the bed and some rust around the wheel wells. The interior of the truck is in wonderful condition and so is the exterior of the cab minus some minor rust forming at the bottom of the doors (I think that is common).If I could get it fixed a lot cheaper than $4-5k I would really like to keep it. I haven't had it long but hate to let it go so quickly being that it is my first truck.

Old 05-29-2016, 04:40 PM
SuperDutyTruckFan
New User
Originally Posted by Chuck's First Ford
Take it to a different mechanic... have a complete compression test done...

you may NOT have a blown head gasket... just need the spark plug threads restored... (ez-sert) etc.
Thanks for the reply. I am very confused by this whole situation because the mechanic said I had a head gasket blown and that it would be better to buy a new engine due to the cost of repairs. He didn't say that the spark plug caused the heads to blow, but that it was an additional issue they noticed. I asked him if it was safe to drive home (I didn't want to make a quick decision), he said that it would drive but not for long (I drove it 8 miles back to my house). This mechanic has great reviews and seemed very honest, so I just took it as fact that my head gasket was blown.

I am also confused because I have been told so many different things regarding price and difficulty level of replacing the head gaskets. Some people say it is a $1000 fix. However, all four mechanics I called told me that it would be around $3k and that it would be better to simply replace the engine?

Once again, the engine never overheated (I always watch the gauges), it had plenty of coolant. The radiator is not leaking water as far as I can tell. The truck drove home ok but jerked a little and kept making that loud clicking and raspy sound. I assume that I should get it towed to another mechanic and that driving it any more could cause further damage?

Old 05-29-2016, 05:00 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
if you are NOT loosing anti-freeze.. and oil is not blowing out the block or exhaust...

Drive it there.. keep under 50...

a head gasket job including machining the heads flat.. is 1500 TOPs ...my opinion.

reasons for the High price..
they do not want to do the job
they do not want to deal with possible valve seals, exhaust system issues.
to much time to do the job. .. they are busy doing easy money jobs.

again my opinion.. retired mechanic. Not Ford... the other guy's.

call around. get quotes. even the ONE or two bay repair shops..... but allow extra time for them to complete the job.

a blown head gasket.. get a compression test..

a gasket can fail ... one cylinder to another
or cylinder to water jacket
or cylinder to oil passage.
or cylinder to outside world..
or a Cracked Head....

I still think the spark plug popped out.. and that was it.. get a compression test and if OK,, get the threads fixed for the spark plug.

Old 05-29-2016, 05:16 PM
BirchyBoy
Senior User
Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts
Did you get a 30 day warranty with the purchase?

Old 05-29-2016, 05:55 PM
SuperDutyTruckFan
New User
Originally Posted by Chuck's First Ford
if you are NOT loosing anti-freeze.. and oil is not blowing out the block or exhaust...

Drive it there.. keep under 50...

a head gasket job including machining the heads flat.. is 1500 TOPs ...my opinion.

reasons for the High price..
they do not want to do the job
they do not want to deal with possible valve seals, exhaust system issues.
to much time to do the job. .. they are busy doing easy money jobs.

again my opinion.. retired mechanic. Not Ford... the other guy's.

call around. get quotes. even the ONE or two bay repair shops..... but allow extra time for them to complete the job.

a blown head gasket.. get a compression test..

a gasket can fail ... one cylinder to another
or cylinder to water jacket
or cylinder to oil passage.
or cylinder to outside world..
or a Cracked Head....

I still think the spark plug popped out.. and that was it.. get a compression test and if OK,, get the threads fixed for the spark plug.
Thank you for the advice. I will be sure to get a compression test done ASAP. I just checked the oil and it appears normal. I also checked the exhaust which just had some black soot but no oil that I saw or felt. I am glad to hear that even if the head blew that it shouldn't cost as much as I was quoted. The mechanic shop acted like the truck was now almost worthless with a head blown. It makes sense that they priced me so high because they didn't feel like doing the work. The shop seems to always be busy fixing small things.

Old 05-29-2016, 05:58 PM
SuperDutyTruckFan
New User
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy
Did you get a 30 day warranty with the purchase?
No, I didn't get a 30 day warranty. In fact, when I called the dealership. The GM blamed me for buying the truck and said that I should have known that the truck was on its last leg...... I couldn't believe his response since they claim to care so much about there reputation. Not that I am naïve, but I didn't expect such an aggressive tone from such a high end dealership.....

Quick Reply: F350 Advice?