Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Auto headlights

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 04:36 PM
StrokerAZ
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto headlights

Hello, I have a 2003F250 with an auto position on the headlight switch. problem is the lights are on whether it is dark or not if the switch is on auto. all other positions work fine. Do I need a switch or an ambient light sensor? How do I check it?

Old 05-28-2016, 07:49 PM
pirschwagon
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by StrokerAZ
Hello, I have a 2003F250 with an auto position on the headlight switch. problem is the lights are on whether it is dark or not if the switch is on auto. all other positions work fine. Do I need a switch or an ambient light sensor? How do I check it?

If your automatic headlights don’t respond to changing lighting conditions, then the ambient light sensor may be the source of the problem. The sensor can stop working or become faulty if moisture gets into it or fluid is spilled on it. The wiring to the sensor can also wear out. Often, sensor failure results in the headlights remaining on all the time, even in broad daylight.

Old 05-28-2016, 11:14 PM
carguy3j
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Simple solution:
Do what millions of drivers have done for over a hundred years...... Since you indicate that the normal on/off functions are working correctly, Turn your own damn headlights on and off as needed. Seriously, "auto" headlights have got to be one of the dumbest automotive "features" ever invented. Just one more thing to go wrong, in exchange for being relieved of the incredibly taxing task of deciding when to turn on/off ones headlights, and then executing that "complicated" decision by turning an easily accessible ****......

Old 05-28-2016, 11:25 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by carguy3j
Simple solution: Do what millions of drivers have done for over a hundred years...... Since you indicate that the normal on/off functions are working correctly, Turn your own damn headlights on and off as needed. Seriously, "auto" headlights have got to be one of the dumbest automotive "features" ever invented. Just one more thing to go wrong, in exchange for being relieved of the incredibly taxing task of deciding when to turn on/off ones headlights, and then executing that "complicated" decision by turning an easily accessible ****......
You kids get off my lawn!

I agree with you, but it's also true he paid for this jiggery-pokery, and he wants it to work as advertised. I can understand that. It's also a challenge, and that's kinda fun too. After a while it becomes ... personal.

Old 05-29-2016, 01:48 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
Sensor on my truck failed too. Bugs me since it's the only defective thing on the truck. Never did figure out the correct part # for the sensor so for the last year I've switched it manually.

And now I shall gripe; on the older auto headlight systems (my 93 Aerostar) the headlights go on and off depending on ambient light. On the 2002 F350 the lights go on, but not off. So when at a stop light under a bridge they turn on, but when the light turns green and I'm again under a cascade of golden CA sunbolts the stupid lights stay on. Wassup wid dat?

Old 05-29-2016, 07:05 AM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Simple solution:
Do what millions of drivers have done for over a hundred years...... Since you indicate that the normal on/off functions are working correctly, Turn your own damn headlights on and off as needed. Seriously, "auto" headlights have got to be one of the dumbest automotive "features" ever invented. Just one more thing to go wrong, in exchange for being relieved of the incredibly taxing task of deciding when to turn on/off ones headlights, and then executing that "complicated" decision by turning an easily accessible ****......
Sounds like the turn signal switch around here, people don't seem to be able too move a simple lever... So what's next automatic turn signals?

Old 05-29-2016, 07:30 AM
carl2591
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
I put a piece of tape over my light sensor. Since ford did not make Daytime running lights (DRL) a standard item, unlike GM, I like the fact I can turn my lights on and when I get done and just turn off the key they will turn themselves off automatically.

On my 3 hyundai elantra, 2001,05,06 when you turn the key off the light will turn off as well. Since my kids drive these cars I tell them to just turn the headlight on and leave them on all the time cause when they turn the car off and get out all the lights. That makes for a safer car, safer kids etc.

I wish all manf would make DRL standard on all cars. I know on my 1997 astro van, which has DRL yes a 1997, I know for a fact that having my lights on have prevented folks from pulling out in front of me. I have seen it many times.

In canada its been that way for years and they can prove DRL do help prevent wrecks. Too bad US is so behind the times..

Old 05-29-2016, 07:40 AM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Originally Posted by carl2591
I put a piece of tape over my light sensor. Since ford did not make Daytime running lights (DRL) a standard item, unlike GM, I like the fact I can turn my lights on and when I get done and just turn off the key they will turn themselves off automatically.

On my 3 hyundai elantra, 2001,05,06 when you turn the key off the light will turn off as well. Since my kids drive these cars I tell them to just turn the headlight on and leave them on all the time cause when they turn the car off and get out all the lights. That makes for a safer car, safer kids etc.

I wish all manf would make DRL standard on all cars. I know on my 1997 astro van, which has DRL yes a 1997, I know for a fact that having my lights on have prevented folks from pulling out in front of me. I have seen it many times.

In canada its been that way for years and they can prove DRL do help prevent wrecks. Too bad US is so behind the times..
Thank you for validating a point that I have told others (locally here) so many times, and yes they still wounder why I drive with my "lights on for safety"...its the verry notion that it helps prevent collisions...

Old 05-29-2016, 12:16 PM
twopeas6572
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stroker, my '02 F250 has been doing the same thing for a couple of years now, research said the sensor on the dash probably is the culprit.

So, like others here, I just turn them on/off manually or drive 'lights on for safety' (most of the time) and don't worry about it.

Have a great day !!

Old 05-29-2016, 06:32 PM
Dave in Maine
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I get dinged on my insurance because the truck doesnt have DRL.

Small change compared to having a 17yo male driving at home, not to mention the wife sliding on black ice into a car stuck sideways blocking the road 2 winters ago.

Old 05-29-2016, 06:49 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Simple solution:
Someone asks for help and you ridicule them?

Old 05-29-2016, 07:20 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
Mine also quit working some time back, replaced the sensor and that fixed the problem.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:48 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Originally Posted by truckeemtnfords
Mine also quit working some time back, replaced the sensor and that fixed the problem.
Trade ya the part number for a rep.

Old 05-30-2016, 03:34 AM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
Here you go,
2C3Z-13A018-AB.
Sunland sensor

Old 05-31-2016, 07:11 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh