1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1952 F1 FMX NO PARK

Old 05-28-2016, 12:27 PM
Color sarge
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 1952 F1 FMX NO PARK

Needed to replace selector shaft seals in my FMX tranny. Now there Is no park engagement. All detention positions are there. Just doesn't lock into park. Shifter tang selector shaft points up. I am assuming that all the way forward should be park. Have tried full forward and full back with linkage disconnected. Push truck back and forth and won't lock. Could I have done something wrong when I replaced the seals? Thanks

Old 05-28-2016, 06:10 PM
Color sarge
Junior User
I assume park was working before I replaced seals, but not positive.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:21 AM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 844 Likes on 763 Posts
You'll have to drop the pan to see if the parking pawl is engaged.

OT: used to live in Baldwin.

Old 05-29-2016, 02:53 PM
26tudor
Mountain Pass
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Think I did this years ago with a c 4 had to take the valve body back down turn shifter tab to the bottom reinstall valve body then it worked correctly.
Jim

Old 05-29-2016, 04:12 PM
Color sarge
Junior User
Ok. Pulled pan. Everything looking good. I had wrongly assumed that park was with the shift lever forward. It's not. When you move lever all the way to rear you can engage park. The last 1/4 inch or so of that throw seems to be spring loaded. When I rock truck back and forth it will pop into reverse. I am using the stock column shifter with a cable. The shifter itself does not lock in park. I'm beginning to think I have a major issue here.

O.T. To George: I am in wading River. North Fork. Moving to Bethany Beach, De. In August

Old 05-31-2016, 06:22 AM
Color sarge
Junior User
I spent a lot of time and money trying to use the original column shift with my FMX. With no lock into park incorporated into shifter, I feel I must go with a Lokar floor shifter assembly.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:10 AM
rdemilt
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Color sarge
I spent a lot of time and money trying to use the original column shift with my FMX. With no lock into park incorporated into shifter, I feel I must go with a Lokar floor shifter assembly.
I know there have been many that have made that combo work, but I choose a aftermarket column over the looks of originality because the last thing i wanted was my truck to accidently drop in gear and run someone over.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:04 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Color sarge
Ok. Pulled pan. Everything looking good. I had wrongly assumed that park was with the shift lever forward. It's not. When you move lever all the way to rear you can engage park. The last 1/4 inch or so of that throw seems to be spring loaded. When I rock truck back and forth it will pop into reverse. I am using the stock column shifter with a cable. The shifter itself does not lock in park. I'm beginning to think I have a major issue here.
If the "spring loading" is with the linkage disconnected then obviously something is wrong inside the trans. Your pan will have to come off.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:11 PM
hooler1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 252 Likes on 161 Posts
I also have an FMX, and am currently working on the same problem. It's like the park position of the transmission shift lever, is supposed to be held in place by the locking mechanism of the column or floor shift lever. I would like to hear from other FMX users to see if that is correct, and how they handled the problem other than replacing the steering column (a good option too...)

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-31-2016, 09:14 PM
Color sarge
Junior User
Pan is off. Don't visually see anything wrong. Can get trans to park, but, the slightest movement makes it fall out of park. Saw a question on this on a ford transmission site. They gave the impression that this was a known FMX trait and that the fix was in the shifter, not the trans.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:17 PM
Color sarge
Junior User
Wanted to keep stock column and shifter, but, does not appear possible. Will go with Lokar floor shift.

Old 10-03-2022, 02:01 AM
Timmo
5th Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Just fitted a LOKAR to my FMX box .
Trying to get info off WWW of what position the selector arm should be for PARK ? Fully to the back or Fully to the front of box ?
Any help would be appreciated .
54 F100

Old 10-03-2022, 08:09 AM
hooler1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 252 Likes on 161 Posts
Hey Timmo!

I replied to you PM.

But others please chime in as I am no expert on this but am wondering if his transmission shift lever is installed or oriented correctly to work with a Lokar floor shift kit.

Old 10-03-2022, 12:16 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Timmo
Just fitted a LOKAR to my FMX box .
Trying to get info off WWW of what position the selector arm should be for PARK ? Fully to the back or Fully to the front of box ?
Any help would be appreciated .
54 F100
I'm not sure which Lokar part that you have but if you have the shift indicator the lever is all the way forward for park. Here are the instructions that I got with mine in case you don't have them (pdf). Also the instructions for the shift indicator (jpg pictures).

Attached Images
Old 10-03-2022, 01:19 PM
5851a
Logistics Pro
Received 720 Likes on 570 Posts
Maybe ot but 68 to 74 Econoline vans with automatic transmission have a steering column and the gear selector that wouldn't look to out of place in a 50's truck. Don't know how much adaption required but the gear selector part should have the rooster comb to hold it in park. Best to apply parking brake also, and no I never do myself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1952 F1 FMX NO PARK