Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Texas girl needs advice on a bed liner!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 01:38 PM
txhurrican
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Texas girl needs advice on a bed liner!

Hey everybody --

I'm new to the website (and a proud new Ford Truck owner)! I finally own my dream truck -- but now I'm looking to get one of the spray-in liners put in the back. Any advice on which is the best? I'm sold on the new spray ones (vs. older slide-in ones), I just don't know which company to trust the most with my new prize. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

(Also, one company I called needs to keep the car for 2 days -- is this standard? They described "intense preparation and manhours" needed for prep, while other websites made it sound like it would only take a few hours to drive away. Thanks!)

- Jo

Old 08-15-2003, 02:46 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Around here, your choices are Rhino and Line-X. Most of my customers seem to prefer the Line-X, mostly because it's a more "finished" appearance; the Rhino is a little on the "thick and lumpy" side. You may also want to post this question in the Aftermarket Products forum- you may get more responses there.

Old 08-15-2003, 08:20 PM
retired2001
Elder User

First, WELCOME !! Now, I've had "TOFF" in two different trucks and really liked the surface and thickness. I've also had Line-X in one and it wasn't as thick and the texture was less "agressive". Personal preferance would be "TOFF". They have to "sand" or rough up the paint to be covered in order for the "liner" to adhear to the paint. Some of the ones I've seen advertised recently claim that the liner is "dry" & "set" as soon as it hits the paint. I've had to leave a truck "overnight" on one truck and just a few hours on the other (both TOFF), go figure! Good luck and I agree the spray-on is the only way to go!

Old 08-15-2003, 08:56 PM
Jim242002
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also consider Rhino Liner..

So not a drop-in liner for you eh?

Old 08-15-2003, 10:43 PM
txhurrican
New User

No, I've heard drop-in liners warp over time and allow water underneath...and rust...blah blah blah. I've decided on the spray kind.

Old 08-16-2003, 12:32 AM
cow_boy104
Senior User

I went with full metal jacket. It is similar to line-x, texture wise, but took forever to cure.

I buddy of mine got line-x in his truck, and man was that thick. Maybe even over 1/4 inch. His had faded a little, and isn't a year old yet.

another buddy of mine, has rhino. That is lumpy, but just as good as the other brands. Like someone said to me once, when your in big parking lots, look around, and take a close loook at other liners, that will give you an idea, of what your looking for.

So places will give you samples. I've seen a TV ad for rhino, and you can call the number, and they send you a whole bunch of info for there product.

-Mike

Old 08-16-2003, 09:57 AM
Yoson
Senior User

all three of the popular spray on liners are about the same product wise. the big difference is in the application. The installer will make or break the quality and finish of the liner. I have had all three at one time or another Linex, Rhino and Armorthane. I think all three were very simular and was happy with all but I have seen some very poorly installed spray ins. I was right upfront with the installer that the finish had to be top notch or I was going to be a pain in his A$%. I also talked whith the installer and slipped him a couple of baseball tickets to do it right. the installer took his time and was very proud of the finished product and For the price of a few tickets I could not use anyway I got a great job, I would rather shell out a few and make sure my baby is done right than regret it later.

Old 08-16-2003, 06:20 PM
Black Ford XLT
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

In my 1985, i had poly shield ss 100 sprayed in, 5 years installed to this date and no fade with 1/4 inch thickness.They boast its the toughest sprayed in bed liner there is, but how would i know this is the #1st liner ive ever had.they say its chemical resistant to virtually all chemicals( gas and diesel i know of )and withstands tempertures + 300 f to minus300 f.This liner is polyurea elastomer.its usda approved for food contact ( dont ask me i am copying this )used in all applications and i was told the alaskan oil line inners r lined with this.uses also include ambulance interiors,dump truck liners construction and residential garbage truck liners, concrete truck liners,(inner linings )basement and flooring applications stix to almost any surfaces .electrical transformer inners ,roof coatings for metal wood, concrete, and tons of other applications.This liner is a thermal application.Like i have said i know ive spilled fuel oil diesel and gas on this, threw concrete blocks and other things in the bed. good luck in ya selection ---do your home work talk to people with a neutral att and youll learn alot -i did TR

Old 08-16-2003, 07:44 PM
charlesh
Senior User

Like someone said to me once, when your in big parking lots, look around, and take a close loook at other liners, that will give you an idea, of what your looking for.
Like Cowboy said...

When I was after a set of step bars, I would walk the parking lot looking at all of the various types. When I found one I liked, bingo, I ordered it and was really happy with my purchase.

Of course I am lucky no one reported me for casing the parking lot. LOL

Chip

Old 08-17-2003, 05:38 PM
AegisSailor
Elder User

I also have Full Metal Jacket. It's sprayed on 1/4" thick and has a nice texture. They only needed to keep it half a day and it was curred overnight.

Old 08-17-2003, 06:18 PM
rbraughn
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speedliner here....nice texture, and supposedly wont fade like the others.

I'll let you know in a few years about the fading issue

Old 08-17-2003, 06:22 PM
cow_boy104
Senior User

Originally posted by AegisSailor
I also have Full Metal Jacket. It's sprayed on 1/4" thick and has a nice texture. They only needed to keep it half a day and it was curred overnight.
overnight wow, mine took a couple of days. I slid some metal into the bed, and it ripped some off. Took it back, and had them re do it.

Old 08-18-2003, 08:01 AM
03XLTFX4
New User

I had a Line-X put in my 2003 when it was a couple of weeks old.
It came out beautiful. I like it a lot better than the Rhinos I've
seen, but that just opinion. It took about 2 1/2 hours and I
was driving away. I could load the bed "lightly" right away and
after 24 hours it was ready to be abused.

Old 08-18-2003, 01:44 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 341 Likes on 207 Posts

www.durakon.com/compare.htm

And, congrats on the new truck. I love mine too!

Old 08-18-2003, 09:07 PM
Aftrmidnite
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I have LineX on my personal truck, and Rhino on the company truck The Rhino is impossible to kneel on and will tear up pants knees. The LineX is uncomfortable, but easier on the knees. Rhino is more skid resistant than LineX. Also the LineX was real thick, I KO'ed a place for a power outlet up high on the bed and it was almost as thick as a drop in. If you are hauling construction materials I would go with Rhino, personal truck LineX PS write your milage down on the work order, when you drop your truck off. No joy riders! The Rhino fades to a medium grey and looks faded. My truck bed is covered, but I've noticed other LineX fade to a very dark charcoal and don't look faded.

Last edited by Aftrmidnite; 08-18-2003 at 09:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Texas girl needs advice on a bed liner!