1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

heater core replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 05:41 PM
parkers5150
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heater core replacement

hello everybody, I've got a 1990 e250 and my heater core ***** the bed! ive removed the bolts on the inside of the cab...got my dash half way off...and im wondering what type of connection (how to get them apart) the hoses have??? that and any other great words of wisdom for a novice mechanic

Old 05-25-2016, 07:33 AM
jimandnena
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by parkers5150
hello everybody, I've got a 1990 e250 and my heater core ***** the bed! ive removed the bolts on the inside of the cab...got my dash half way off...and im wondering what type of connection (how to get them apart) the hoses have??? that and any other great words of wisdom for a novice mechanic
Hi parker,

I didn't find much in the van forum, you might try posting in the heating/AC forum, someone there may have good experience to share?
jim

Old 05-25-2016, 09:34 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Jim I thought you'd torn into one of those earlier heater core repairs?

OP I might be able to guide you through R&R'ing those fittings but need to see the exact ones you have.

There are dedicated tools for some types of fittings but occasionally other tools can be substituted too.

Post a photo please.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:10 PM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
Received 167 Likes on 154 Posts
These two videos are on a bit newer car but I think they may be the same type of fitting.
Ford Heater Hose Quick Connect Release how to

Ford E350 How to Remove Heater Hose Without Tool

Old 05-26-2016, 07:05 AM
jimandnena
Elder User
Originally Posted by JWA
Jim I thought you'd torn into one of those earlier heater core repairs?

OP I might be able to guide you through R&R'ing those fittings but need to see the exact ones you have.

There are dedicated tools for some types of fittings but occasionally other tools can be substituted too.

Post a photo please.
I did have heater hose failures, JW, but never had to mess with the heater core. My solution was to eliminate those couplers and use clamps. The couplers (like most parts) are there to make assembly line operations easier/cheaper. jim

Old 05-26-2016, 05:38 PM
parkers5150
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well,,, i appreciate the response fellas!!! but I had to call a mobile mechanic.
the first "quick diconnect" snapped clean off and still couldnt get it out. ended up buying new hoses with new connections. Had to release the dash, un bolt heater core and computer ( which by the way, why the f would you put the electronic brain directly underneath a part that is going to eventually leak corrosive fluid!!!!). got new core installed and the best part is we tackled my blower motor while we were in there just in time for summer.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:06 PM
jimandnena
Elder User
Originally Posted by parkers5150
well,,, i appreciate the response fellas!!! but I had to call a mobile mechanic.
the first "quick diconnect" snapped clean off and still couldnt get it out. ended up buying new hoses with new connections. Had to release the dash, un bolt heater core and computer ( which by the way, why the f would you put the electronic brain directly underneath a part that is going to eventually leak corrosive fluid!!!!). got new core installed and the best part is we tackled my blower motor while we were in there just in time for summer.
Yep, those disconnects were my problem too.
The ECU under the heater surprised me, too. I guess with the price of copper wire, and lack of space, that was the last option. Don't forget to put the braid ground wire back to the frame for grounding. Good time to swap out the blower, too. Two items off the list for a while. jim