1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 6.2L run without oil for 30sec-1 minute, maybe more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 03:03 PM
FXDS1340
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They just flat out didn't put oil back in it. Dipstick was bone friggen dry. They did replace the filter, but who knows if the filter was primed, and as in primed, I mean really primed.... filled up repeatedly until it can't soak in anymore clean, fresh oil.

Once I noticed the pressure gauge that was the first thing I did before I even called, was check the dipstick.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:14 PM
Crispy71
Senior User
Originally Posted by FXDS1340
Appreciate all of the helpful information guys. All of this is well documented, even with video evidence of no oil on the dipstick while waiting on a tow truck. I'm going to see what the other dealer has to say about any possible damage after a thorough inspection and move forward from there. I will be in contact with my lawyer soon. I hope I still have confidence in Ford as a company after this incident, because I sure do love their vehicles. An F250 SD has been my dream truck for years. Just my luck that I finally get it and this happens. Oh well, life could be worse I guess.

I understand you're upset, hell I'd be too. Just don't confuse the dealership with Ford the company. There are way too any shady dealers out there.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:15 PM
FXDS1340
Junior User
Originally Posted by Crispy71
I understand you're upset, hell I'd be too. Just don't confuse the dealership with Ford the company. There are way too any shady dealers out there.
Oh trust me, I'm not. It'll just be interesting to see if they handle this in any way that will still give me faith in them. At the very least punishing the business they authorized to be a dealer for them.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:05 PM
Larietpsd
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Problem is even if the dealer says they will fix anything that causes a problem due to this down the road who says that whatever issue arises is from this incident. Kinda screwed I guess. I would run it hope for the best get everything documented and go from there. Maybe see if they will float you a warranty at cost or even below is probably all you will get. Can't sue someone over something that "might" happen

Old 05-24-2016, 04:07 PM
FXDS1340
Junior User
Well Lariet, this truck isn't going to get far enough down the road to find out if there is a problem... it's going to be torn down as far as necessary to see if there are any issues from this mishap. I've built engines before, high performance engines, and I know what happens with no oil pressure for a certain length of time, and I wouldn't run mine at all until I have confirmed what is and isn't damaged.

We'll just have to see. I don't want to take anyone to court but these people already have a terrible reputation in the Houston area.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:16 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
Agree with above + cut open the oil filter (witness, video at another Ford dealer) to check for particulates as well.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:49 PM
FXDS1340
Junior User
I called and told them I'll be taking a 5 quart sample and wanting to keep the oil filter. They weren't too hot about me cutting it open there, but I'll just do it at home with a process that won't produce shavings, document it with video, and make sure I have plenty of pictures and will keep it all in a plastic bag.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:55 PM
SteveH-CO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Didn't the engine make a nasty metal-on-metal sound from the rod bearings upon startup? I would think anyone who started it (oil free) after the oil change would have noticed this and done something about it before returning it to you.

Old 05-24-2016, 05:34 PM
FXDS1340
Junior User
Originally Posted by SteveH-CO
Didn't the engine make a nasty metal-on-metal sound from the rod bearings upon startup? I would think anyone who started it (oil free) after the oil change would have noticed this and done something about it before returning it to you.
I don't think kids with a craftsman starter set up more worried about changing my radio station (something they did) would care about any noises upon start up. Lube techs at these dealerships are the lowest of the low... no formal training just looking for any easy job or a start in the auto industry. Sorry if I offended anyone on here who is a lube tech, but I'm sure if you're on this forum you're already 100 steps ahead of those who aren't.

Old 05-24-2016, 05:53 PM
fordmerc
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
While I worked at a Ford dealership, I once witnessed a tech drain the oil out of a V8 SHO Taurus, then pull it out of the bay, and drive down 6 bays to where the oil guns were and fill it up with oil.

Just a quick story, and my way of subscribing to the thread.

Hope it turns out the way that makes you happy.

Old 05-24-2016, 05:54 PM
FXDS1340
Junior User
Originally Posted by fordmerc
While I worked at a Ford dealership, I once witnessed a tech drain the oil out of a V8 SHO Taurus, then pull it out of the bay, and drive down 6 bays to where the oil guns were and fill it up with oil.

Just a quick story, and my way of subscribing to the thread.

Hope it turns out the way that makes you happy.
How did that situation end up if you don't mind me asking? Thanks also, I'm hoping it does too. I just want my truck back so I can go back to work.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:01 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
If they document it in the OASIS system, then to hell with them; get it back and work the truck like a rented mule. When the engine blows up inside the warranty period just show your new dealer all your oil change records that were at done a Ford dealer.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:02 PM
FXDS1340
Junior User
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
If they document it in the OASIS system, then to hell with them; get it back and work the truck like a rented mule. When the engine blows up inside the warranty period just show your new dealer all your oil change records that were at done a Ford dealer.
IF my career choice didn't have me all over the country I would do just that... I can't risk being stranded on the side of the road on my way to a job.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:03 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would be absolutely livid if they didn't put oil back in my truck. I hope it works out for you!

Old 05-24-2016, 06:20 PM
dtherrien
Senior User
I think i would demand a new motor. After all that is what you bought with your new truck...seeing how its about a $50k vehicle. Dont let them push you around. Get what you paid for. Its there screw up.

Quick Reply: 2015 6.2L run without oil for 30sec-1 minute, maybe more.