Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

79 FSB leaning towards the driver side.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:57 PM
Pkupman82
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
79 FSB leaning towards the driver side.

I recently noticed the Bronco has a bit of slouch towards the driver side. It has a 6" Superlift suspension lift, it's an all spring lift no blocks in the back. It also has the Superlift adjustable track bar. The lift kit has been on the truck for probably 5 years now. I don't baby this thing, especially up in the dunes it's been known to take flight from time to time. I checked the front coil buckets, the lower coil cups, and all the other brackets. Everything seems to be as it should up front. The rear doesn't appear to have anything out of place either, bent or broken brackets or leaf springs. I do have two things I have in question, one being front coil springs are noticeably bowed outward, maybe one is sagging more than the other. A while back I caved in and bent the lower coil cups, since then I straightened and reinforced them. The second thought I have, is it possible that the track bar adjusted too short possibly cause this? Any thoughts or ideas on this issue? Thanks again fellas!

Old 05-24-2016, 08:30 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
a bent spring would definitely cause this. i would also check body mounts for rot-out or bent metal.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:07 PM
Pkupman82
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tjc transport
a bent spring would definitely cause this. i would also check body mounts for rot-out or bent metal.
Pretty sure the body mounts are good. I had the body off the frame a couple years ago. All the rubber mounts have been replaced with polyurethane. The mounting locations on the body and frame have been reinforced with 1/8" plate. I don't have any broken leafs in the back, sounds like I'm gonna be buying a new set of coils. Is it possible for an improper track bar adjustment to do this?

Old 05-25-2016, 06:05 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
no idea, i don't use trac bars.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:39 AM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
The track bar shouldn't cause it to lean. But it shouldn't be too hard too see if it's adjusted right. The front springs should pretty much be mirror images of each other. They should both be pretty close to straight up-and-down when you look from the front, but if one is leaning in (or out) a little at the top the other should be doing the same thing.

Old 05-25-2016, 04:45 PM
Pkupman82
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Nothing Special
The track bar shouldn't cause it to lean. But it shouldn't be too hard too see if it's adjusted right. The front springs should pretty much be mirror images of each other. They should both be pretty close to straight up-and-down when you look from the front, but if one is leaning in (or out) a little at the top the other should be doing the same thing.
Yeah that's kind of what I figured too. Surprisingly it drives halfway decent down the road, I never really noticed the lean until l had it parked on the paved part of the driveway. It has roughly the same amount of tire sticking out of the wheel wells. If you look at the springs straight on from the front of the truck, they look like this ( ). I think the original cause besides a loose nut behind the wheel, was when I bent the lower coil mounts (jumping) outward. I didn't fix it right away, I wonder if this tweaked the coils. Even after I straightened and reinforced the mounts the springs stayed in a bowed outward position . I'll have to take a closer look at things, but at this point I haven't found any frame or suspension damage. Like I mentioned before, I had the body off the frame when I was in there I went through and strengthened most of the weak points. I recently went back into it and strengthened the lower track bar mount, this helped tighten things up a lot. It's really getting to the point, I need to ditch the 5 lug stuff for the D60 and Sterling. Thanks for all the input, any and all is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:08 AM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
Coil bow is common. I've seen it bad enough that on full flex the tire actually rubs on the coil spring. The angle on the lower mount can cause this, you need to make sure they sit nice on the radius arms. The top of the arms are not flat, so if you renforced your bottom plates with flat, and bolted them on, they can still lean and cause bow. You can mount the bottom plate so it is higher on the outside edge so the spring is forced to sit straiter. It won't hurt it at all. I had some issues like that when I had superflex coil springs with my one tons.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:58 PM
Pkupman82
Postmaster
Originally Posted by hav24wheel
Coil bow is common. I've seen it bad enough that on full flex the tire actually rubs on the coil spring. The angle on the lower mount can cause this, you need to make sure they sit nice on the radius arms. The top of the arms are not flat, so if you renforced your bottom plates with flat, and bolted them on, they can still lean and cause bow. You can mount the bottom plate so it is higher on the outside edge so the spring is forced to sit straiter. It won't hurt it at all. I had some issues like that when I had superflex coil springs with my one tons.
That's not a bad idea, thank you. I might give that a try.