1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else get an occasional "squawk" noise?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 06:56 AM
Dom165
Junior User
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone else get an occasional "squawk" noise?

I have a 2016 F250 extended cab with 8 foot bed with snow plow and camper package currently less than 2500 miles on it. Every once in a while when I make a turn (typically a left hand turn) I will here a brief noise that sounds like a rubbing or "squawk" noise. The noise doesn't seem to be related to the turn so much as to the roll of the truck when it unloads / loads the suspension. I'm guessing it might be related to sway bar bushings or something similar, but I just don't know.

I have tried to find a stretch of road near the dealer where I can make the noise happen so I can take a tech for a ride so I can let them hear exactly what I hear, but as hard as I try I cannot reproduce the noise consistently.

I have visually checked underneath and I do not see anything wrong and I suspect it's not serious, but I'd like to know the cause and obviously correct the problem.

I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this or if someone could provide some insight as to what the cause may be.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:01 PM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Subscribing...I here something as well on left turns when theres a dip in the two road surfaces and the suspension articulates. It sounds more like the ABS doing something on the front left wheel. Others have mentioned this. The best way to "split the dictionary", isolate this, is to disconnect the ABS and try to reproduce it.
Mines a 11, 6.2 with 60K.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:46 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Did you put bigger tires on it? Look for rub marks in the wheel well or nearby suspension.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:26 AM
Dom165
Junior User
Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Subscribing...I here something as well on left turns when theres a dip in the two road surfaces and the suspension articulates. It sounds more like the ABS doing something on the front left wheel. Others have mentioned this. The best way to "split the dictionary", isolate this, is to disconnect the ABS and try to reproduce it.
Mines a 11, 6.2 with 60K.
The sound could be ABS related and the situation you describe (left hand turn transitioning over a rise or into a dip causing slight body roll).

I never thought to consider the ABS. Thanks.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:29 AM
Dom165
Junior User
Originally Posted by Krewat
Did you put bigger tires on it? Look for rub marks in the wheel well or nearby suspension.
No, the truck is completely stock including the tires. It has the 18" wheels / tires that come with the XLT package.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:27 AM
Big4X4Ford
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have a new 2016 SD with 6.2L, mine has 20 inch wheels on it. Anyway have 3500 miles to date and the other evening slowing down and making a left hand turn, to turn into our addition. For a brief second I heard what sounded like the tire touching the wheel well but I couldn't see anything after getting home after looking real close. I believe now it was something with ABS or the Advance Trac Electronic Stability Control.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:28 AM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Slightly larger tires. 285/17s, OEM is 275/17s Stepping up to 20s, new take offs soon as these factory rims have so much run-out the tires wont balance! Nice hugh! I dont see any tire contact. Ive had a wrench in my hands for 35 years. It sounds like ABS chatter to me. Not 100% sure as I dont have my foot on the brake pedal to feel it when it happens. I wont rule out chassis bushings or BJs at this point either. But at 60K I would hope not.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:35 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
My '01 with 285's, when the suspension in the front is compressed and the wheels turned all the way, I get some rubbing. But that's a leaf-spring front-end, not the newer coil springs. However, the newer front-ends actually turn further because there are no leaf springs

Anyway, check the wheel bearings - if they are loose, you could be pushing them far enough that the ABS tone wheel moves far enough away from the sensor that the ABS system thinks the wheel stopped spinning.

If you want to check the ABS sensors, with the wheel jacked up, disconnect the ABS sensor connector for that wheel, and connect a digital volt meter to the sensor set to AC volts. Spin the wheel as fast as you can by hand. You should see .2-.3 volts from the sensor. If it's less than that, remove the sensor, clean the surface under it if it's rusty, which causes the sensor to pull away from the tone wheel.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:42 PM
defekticon
Senior User
I have the same issue. Sounds like the exhaust pipe tapping the underside of the bed, or the top of the axle.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:17 PM
fidel.medrano
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same exact issue. Took it in for warranty and was pretty much told it's a normal sound the suspension makes. I don't like it but after 35000 miles the noise hasn't changed.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:20 AM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Krewat
My '01 with 285's, when the suspension in the front is compressed and the wheels turned all the way, I get some rubbing. But that's a leaf-spring front-end, not the newer coil springs. However, the newer front-ends actually turn further because there are no leaf springs

Anyway, check the wheel bearings - if they are loose, you could be pushing them far enough that the ABS tone wheel moves far enough away from the sensor that the ABS system thinks the wheel stopped spinning.

If you want to check the ABS sensors, with the wheel jacked up, disconnect the ABS sensor connector for that wheel, and connect a digital volt meter to the sensor set to AC volts. Spin the wheel as fast as you can by hand. You should see .2-.3 volts from the sensor. If it's less than that, remove the sensor, clean the surface under it if it's rusty, which causes the sensor to pull away from the tone wheel.
Thanks for the tip. So what produces the voltage with the harness disconnected? The magnetics from the mag pick-up reading peaks n valleys on the tone ring? Pardon the ignorance have not had to operate on this system on either of my 250s...yet...well versed in all things automotive though.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:26 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Thanks for the tip. So what produces the voltage with the harness disconnected? The magnetics from the mag pick-up reading peaks n valleys on the tone ring? Pardon the ignorance have not had to operate on this system on either of my 250s...yet...well versed in all things automotive though.
Exactly that - the movement of high points on the tone-ring past the sensor generates a waveform. That waveform is basically an AC voltage of around .2 to .3 volts. The gap between the tone ring and the sensor plays a big part in how much voltage is generated.

Once upon a time, my brother-in-law had a problem with his Suburban. He would hit the brakes, and sometimes the ABS would activate making it almost impossible to stop unless you almost stood on the brakes.

Did the test I detailed, and turns out the sensor had been pushed away from the tone-ring by the rust under the sensor. Cleaned it up, problem went away. There was a Chevy equivalent of a TSB for it.

After that experience, I always check how rusty the spot looks whenever I have my wheels off - Ford uses the same Kelsey-Hayes system that Chevy did at the time. Not sure what they are using now, but the sensors are all the same principle.

One never knows if a sensor is going bad, so it's worth checking.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:40 AM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Excellent. Thanks for the reply Art.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:54 AM
Dom165
Junior User
Thanks to all who replied. I will continue to chase this and if or when I manage to get this resolved I'll post an update. This is so intermittent it might take a while.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:04 AM
treehugger49
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by Dom165
I have a 2016 F250 extended cab with 8 foot bed with snow plow and camper package currently less than 2500 miles on it. Every once in a while when I make a turn (typically a left hand turn) I will here a brief noise that sounds like a rubbing or "squawk" noise. The noise doesn't seem to be related to the turn so much as to the roll of the truck when it unloads / loads the suspension. I'm guessing it might be related to sway bar bushings or something similar, but I just don't know.

I have tried to find a stretch of road near the dealer where I can make the noise happen so I can take a tech for a ride so I can let them hear exactly what I hear, but as hard as I try I cannot reproduce the noise consistently.

I have visually checked underneath and I do not see anything wrong and I suspect it's not serious, but I'd like to know the cause and obviously correct the problem.

I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this or if someone could provide some insight as to what the cause may be.

Thanks in advance.

I have the identical occurrence that I noticed within a few miles of driving my (then) new 2015 Platinum CCSB off the lot, although I would describe it more as a scraping noise. It seemed to be generated anytime body roll exceeded a certain amount. I took it back to the dealer and they say they can't duplicate the problem.

I duplicated the identical noise recently using the hill descent control, and according to the manual "noise from the ABS pump may be observed...and this is a normal characteristic and should be no reason for concern."

I am copying this thread and taking it in to my service department when I visit in a hundred miles for my next oil and filter change. If this condition is as prevalent as it seems to be given the response to this thread, the service department should be aware of it.

Quick Reply: Anyone else get an occasional "squawk" noise?