1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why owning a diesel stresses me out.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 12:16 PM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
Received 252 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Sam I Am
Well there you go, if you want a vanity ride, you need to be prepared to pay for your toy when it breaks and not worry about the consequences of your purchase decision. It has been math'ed out many times that the mileage benefits of owning a diesel do not work out in the life expectancy of the vehicle due to the higher initial purchase price and much higher maintenance costs.
Unless you are towing heavy on a regular basis and making money at it, a diesel truck is a waste of money and an expensive toy.
I never figured out how anyone can think a diesel sounds good, especially compared to a gasoline V8. Diesels all sound like they have a spun rod bearing.
Ha ! Since you mention it, diesels sound like they have 8 spun rod bearings ! My first driving experience was on a diesel tractor when I was 8 and logged many hours on that before driving a car/truck. I really like my V8 FE engine too...just can't help but love me some of my V8 diesel. Honestly though, I probably wouldn't have bought the diesel truck if it wasn't a great deal on a well maintained, low mileage, ready to tow truck.

Old 05-25-2016, 04:43 PM
KingRanchCummins
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Sam I Am
Well there you go, if you want a vanity ride, you need to be prepared to pay for your toy when it breaks and not worry about the consequences of your purchase decision. It has been math'ed out many times that the mileage benefits of owning a diesel do not work out in the life expectancy of the vehicle due to the higher initial purchase price and much higher maintenance costs.
Unless you are towing heavy on a regular basis and making money at it, a diesel truck is a waste of money and an expensive toy.
I never figured out how anyone can think a diesel sounds good, especially compared to a gasoline V8. Diesels all sound like they have a spun rod bearing.
You left out the part about some diesels being dirt cheap to maintain, limited parts to break, limited parts that ever break, and going well past a gasser lifespan before needibg a rebuild.

Oh nevermind, you must have only been talking about powerstrokes

Old 05-25-2016, 06:47 PM
nmclella
Posting Guru
Were you born an ***-hat or does driving a cummins just do that to people?

Old 05-25-2016, 07:20 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nmclella
Were you born an ***-hat or does driving a cummins just do that to people?
he likes to troll

Old 05-25-2016, 07:46 PM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
So my take on all this -
Gas - if you don't care about power, longevity, or towing capacity but want piece of mind??
Diesel - if you tow, haul or care about any other reason to get a F250 and are in it for the long run. Yes...I know about the 6.4 issues but the 6.7 is a different beast.
Guessing there really is a reason why any heavy hauler (semi trucks, trains, ships....) use diesel. Can you imagine a gas engine in a cargo ship???

Old 05-25-2016, 11:09 PM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
Received 252 Likes on 182 Posts
I don't think anybody questions the longevity and fuel economy of a diesel although modern gas is right there in terms of lb ft per cube...i.e eco boost. Many of us are lamenting the frailty of the modern diesel fuel and emission systems. One day the engine guys will figure it out and diesels will have the robustness of just a few years ago.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:27 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,615 Likes on 1,641 Posts
Old 05-26-2016, 08:43 AM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 99150

Yep. I continue to hear and read about multi 100K+ diesels but not so much for gassers.
Just hoping my 6.7 doesn't go the way of the 6.4... looking good so far.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:52 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,459 Likes on 2,849 Posts
Like most of us, I have owned many, many gasoline engines. I bought my first diesel about 2 years ago with 228,000 miles (now has 242,00) and it has been one of the best purchases I have made. The truck was maintained and I have done some upgrades to it to freshen up the power and creature comforts. Even after all of the "work" I have put into it I am still under $12,000 total.

That is a far cry from a new diesel that I could not afford to fix if/when something broke.

Every gasoline vehicle (motorcycles, cars, trucks, mowers, etc) have needed some help along the way. If it was made by man, it can break... A gasoline SD is not the end all be all and should not be considered that. If you are happy with a gasoline truck, by all means buy and drive one. The diesel is a different breed and should be treated as such.

When I bought my truck I had the option to buy a similar truck with the 460 in it. It had power, but I tell you what... Between the high revving engine and the 5 MPG when towing my travel trailer there was no way I was going to buy that truck. I get consistently 18-19 MPG in my 7.3 unloaded and about 10-11 towing 10K lbs... Some claim that is B.S., but I know what I pay at the pump and I am very happy with my decision.

OP - Drive the truck until you can sell it or fix it. This is all anyone else is doing, including the gasoline trucks. Hell, that is what I do in my 2002 Mercury Sable with 220,000 miles that I drive 600 miles a week as a commuter. That is what vehicles are far. They get us from point A to point B with whatever other crap we decided to take with us.

If you lay awake at night thinking about it blowing up, then sell it now for a loss and pay the remainder of the lean out of your pocket. At least you will sleep well.

Threads like this quickly turn into a pissing match and the truth of the matter is that everyone has a different situation and different experiences with their vehicles.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:03 AM
Wingit929
Senior User
I'll be honest. Cost of ownership of a diesel is why I went 6.2. I am worried about my first trip through the mountains this weekend pulling my Jeep. I couldn't justify a diesels expense knowing the most mine will ever pull is 7000#. Plus it isn't my daily so it has sat more than driven since I have bought it.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:12 AM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
Like most of us, I have owned many, many gasoline engines. I bought my first diesel about 2 years ago with 228,000 miles (now has 242,00) and it has been one of the best purchases I have made. The truck was maintained and I have done some upgrades to it to freshen up the power and creature comforts. Even after all of the "work" I have put into it I am still under $12,000 total.

That is a far cry from a new diesel that I could not afford to fix if/when something broke.

Every gasoline vehicle (motorcycles, cars, trucks, mowers, etc) have needed some help along the way. If it was made by man, it can break... A gasoline SD is not the end all be all and should not be considered that. If you are happy with a gasoline truck, by all means buy and drive one. The diesel is a different breed and should be treated as such.

When I bought my truck I had the option to buy a similar truck with the 460 in it. It had power, but I tell you what... Between the high revving engine and the 5 MPG when towing my travel trailer there was no way I was going to buy that truck. I get consistently 18-19 MPG in my 7.3 unloaded and about 10-11 towing 10K lbs... Some claim that is B.S., but I know what I pay at the pump and I am very happy with my decision.

OP - Drive the truck until you can sell it or fix it. This is all anyone else is doing, including the gasoline trucks. Hell, that is what I do in my 2002 Mercury Sable with 220,000 miles that I drive 600 miles a week as a commuter. That is what vehicles are far. They get us from point A to point B with whatever other crap we decided to take with us.

If you lay awake at night thinking about it blowing up, then sell it now for a loss and pay the remainder of the lean out of your pocket. At least you will sleep well.

Threads like this quickly turn into a pissing match and the truth of the matter is that everyone has a different situation and different experiences with their vehicles.
I have owned a lot more diesels than gas over the years, and a lot of 7.3's. There is no comparison in a 7.3 vs the old 460. The 7.3 is a superior choice. The "diesel stress" of the OP has to do with the 6.4. I have zero confidence in that motor. I made the move to gas a few years ago and did so because of the all issues that can arise on new diesels. If I were in the market for another used diesel it would be the lowest mile 7.3 I could find or not a Ford at all.
I believe your 7.3 mpg. Mine usually got 18-19 hwy and 10ish towing a toyhauler.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:15 AM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Wingit929
I went 6.2. I am worried about my first trip through the mountains this weekend pulling my Jeep. I couldn't justify a diesels expense knowing the most mine will ever pull is 7000#.
With that tow weight and assuming the truck is stock, you should be fine. The 6.2L is a great gasser overall. But in the mountains the forced induction on the diesels really does shine, though you're already starting with twice the torque even at sea level. Just let that 6.2L sing, revving up to its heart's content.

Originally Posted by RainDesert
I made the move to gas a few years ago and did so because of the all issues that can arise on new diesels. If I were in the market for another used diesel it would be the lowest mile 7.3 I could find or not a Ford at all.
It's all a trade-off. The 7.3 is certainly a simpler engine, but it also doesn't have the power of later offerings, and power is why most people go diesel. Plus the newest 7.3 you can get right now is already like 14 years old or so. And because of vocal people with campfire doctorates like yours, people think their 7.3 has a block made of solid gold. So you're going to pay a lot for a 14+ year old underpowered truck on leaf springs. Then again, if you're happy with gas engines, you don't need a diesel anyway. There's nothing inherently wrong with the 6.0L, and most live a long and healthy life. With the money you save vs a 7.3L, you could afford to start saving up to "bulletproof" it (lol) if you were really so worried about it.

The Duramax of the same era is crap. The later years of the 5.9L HO Cummins were fantastic engines, but even the last of them are hitting 10 years old now, and the truck around them is crap. So I guess pick your poison, or sit it out on the sidelines in your gasser.

If you have dieselphobia, and you're trying to buy a truck as cheap as possible, then look at a 8.1L Chevy or V10 Ford. Yeah, they're both starting to get old (especially the Chevy), but they're going to be as close to diesel as you can get from gasoline, which still isn't really that close. They have their own issues, but their boogieman scenarios are probably going to be cheaper to deal with than a diesel.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:21 AM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
I was initially looking at the 7.3 because of its reputation especially after the 6.0 but mainly 6.4 issues. After looking at the 6.7 and lack of issues I could read about since '11 and seeing the up kick in power I went with what I have now.
I really hope the 6.7 proves to be the new long life beast that the 7.3 was / still is.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:36 AM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No generation truck/engine has nothing to worry about. But that 2015 6.7L of yours should do well for a long time to come.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:39 AM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Firekite
And because of vocal people with campfire doctorates like yours, people think their 7.3 has a block made of solid gold.
It is crazy what people can get out of a 7.3 or even crazier a 5.9. But all of my opinions are based off of owning over a dozen diesels over the years most being powerstrokes. Call it what you want but i share info based on
my experiences.

Quick Reply: Why owning a diesel stresses me out.