1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why owning a diesel stresses me out.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 07:22 AM
ultrasks700
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you're stressing yourself out.

Mechanical failure can happen in any piece of rotating machinery.

I've seen brand new motocross bikes grenade on their first day of usage. Does that mean it happens across the board? No. On the other hand I know a dozen 6.4 owners that have had a moderately good experience with that engine. Take care of it and it will take care of you.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:00 AM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ultrasks700
I think you're stressing yourself out.

Mechanical failure can happen in any piece of rotating machinery.

I've seen brand new motocross bikes grenade on their first day of usage. Does that mean it happens across the board? No. On the other hand I know a dozen 6.4 owners that have had a moderately good experience with that engine. Take care of it and it will take care of you.
Oh, I definitely am! If I didn't have a lien out on it, I wouldn't be stressing haha.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:26 AM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselCamper
I was told that the 6.4L is a good engine, but when it breaks, it generally takes the whole engine with it...
We'll file this under "random uninformed crap people say with confidence and authority when really they're just whistling out their **** sphincter."

Old 05-23-2016, 11:51 AM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Firekite
when really they're just whistling out their **** sphincter."
Is that why they suck at singing?

Old 05-23-2016, 01:58 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
We'll file this under "random uninformed crap people say with confidence and authority when really they're just whistling out their **** sphincter."
File these two in there as well:

Originally Posted by Earlthegoat2
Those things spit plugs like a yokel spits tobacky. They have overcomplicated OHC problems that are costly.

--

To the OP: Everything breaks, some more than others. Even back when the 7.3 was available new, I wouldn't touch a diesel with a ten-foot-pole because of all the things I've seen with diesels. Not Ford's, mind you, other medium and heavy-duty diesels.

I was once driving a box truck for a job... 4-cyl Isuzu diesel. Driving on the highway at 60 MPH. It ingested what was probably a single drop of water and grenaded all the pistons, cracked two of the cylinders and spun a rod bearing.

Cost was astronomical to rebuild at the time - I got a break from my machinst for the company I worked for, and it was still over $5K - that was 27 years ago.

That experience, and all the others I saw go through my machinist's shop (I used to visit every day for lunch) caused me to never ever buy a diesel.

If I have a load big enough to require a diesel, I'll rent one

Old 05-23-2016, 02:03 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Krewat
File these two in there as well:

--

To the OP: Everything breaks, some more than others. Even back when the 7.3 was available new, I wouldn't touch a diesel with a ten-foot-pole because of all the things I've seen with diesels. Not Ford's, mind you, other medium and heavy-duty diesels.

I was once driving a box truck for a job... 4-cyl Isuzu diesel. Driving on the highway at 60 MPH. It ingested what was probably a single drop of water and grenaded all the pistons, cracked two of the cylinders and spun a rod bearing.

Cost was astronomical to rebuild at the time - I got a break from my machinst for the company I worked for, and it was still over $5K - that was 27 years ago.

That experience, and all the others I saw go through my machinist's shop (I used to visit every day for lunch) caused me to never ever buy a diesel.

If I have a load big enough to require a diesel, I'll rent one
I see why your profile picture is the Triton V10 logo now ðŸ˜

Old 05-23-2016, 02:29 PM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
Received 253 Likes on 183 Posts
Diesels used to be relatively simple...I like to think they will again some day. Today's diesels are trying to make the EPA happy as well as meet customer expectations for power. Engine designers are scrambling to make everyone happy.

Years ago water got into my dad's diesel storage tank. Without knowing it he pumped his 1966 tractor half full of water. Tractor barely made it a few hundred feet before it quit running...go figure. I drained the water out of the fuel filter and tank onto the ground and closed the valves when diesel started to come out. I pulled the injectors and cranked the engine until diesel flowed. Took about 30 minutes total but had it running again... didn't even change the filter until later when I had time. That original pump and injector set ran 15 more years before being replaced.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:36 PM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah it's like an old single barrel carbureted engine with no emissions. Super simple to work on, but very inefficient, inconsistent, and dirty. Trying to compare an old tractor to a modern light truck diesel engine (PS, Duramax, etc) with HPFP and so on is apples and iPhones.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:18 PM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
Yeah it's like an old single barrel carbureted engine with no emissions. Super simple to work on, but very inefficient, inconsistent, and dirty. Trying to compare an old tractor to a modern light truck diesel engine (PS, Duramax, etc) with HPFP and so on is apples and iPhones.
Older diesels were dirty as in pollution, but not inefficient or inconsistent. That old tractor still gets the job done reliably...it's just more polluting. Early Powerstrokes, Duramax (pre-2007) were in what I call a "happy place". They had enough power, good fuel economy, and were fairly robust. It's meeting the new EPA standards that has greatly complicated today's diesels and really given them fits. Gas engines went through similar type growing pains when tougher emissions standard first came out.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:11 PM
KingRanchCummins
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by '65Ford
Older diesels were dirty as in pollution, but not inefficient or inconsistent. That old tractor still gets the job done reliably...it's just more polluting. Early Powerstrokes, Duramax (pre-2007) were in what I call a "happy place". They had enough power, good fuel economy, and were fairly robust. It's meeting the new EPA standards that has greatly complicated today's diesels and really given them fits. Gas engines went through similar type growing pains when tougher emissions standard first came out.
Or a pre 6.7 cummins

That being said, even the above motors are still pretty sensitive with the fuel system abd injectors arent cheap

Old 05-23-2016, 05:05 PM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by KingRanchCummins
Or a pre 6.7 cummins

That being said, even the above motors are still pretty sensitive with the fuel system abd injectors arent cheap
True that. Before I fill up my 2002 diesel, I run a fuel sample into a half gallon glass jug to look for water or dirt. I've only left one station for contamination but that was cheap peace of mind.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:07 PM
TooHuge
Senior User
What did I just read? Sounds like you have an anxiety problem, not a truck problem. lol

Old 05-23-2016, 09:20 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by TooHuge
What did I just read? Sounds like you have an anxiety problem, not a truck problem. lol
I definitely do!

Old 05-23-2016, 09:54 PM
1tonner
Junior User
SO...Do you feel better now or worse?

Old 05-23-2016, 10:10 PM
163junk
Senior User
Iv'e gotta go get more popcorn.

Quick Reply: Why owning a diesel stresses me out.