6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Looking at buying a 6.0, need an oasis report

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 12:11 AM
Kmcmjmtm
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at buying a 6.0, need an oasis report

I'm looking at buying a 6.0 sounds like I need to start with an oasis report first. is Ford the only place to get one and will they willingly give me one?

Thanks

Old 05-21-2016, 06:19 AM
Jerky's_06 F350
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford is the only place to get one. My local dealer had no problems with printing one out for me.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:36 AM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts
Be aware that the Oasis is ONLY warrantee work. A car fax might show more. The car fax on my 2006 I bought had much more info on the work that had been done than the OR

Old 05-21-2016, 10:09 AM
tfunk88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts
My Ford dealer said the Oasis only gives a 3 year view and only shows warranty work. So they pulled up a "service history report" which showed all work performed at Ford dealers on the vehicle.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:51 AM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by tfunk88
My Ford dealer said the Oasis only gives a 3 year view and only shows warranty work. So they pulled up a "service history report" which showed all work performed at Ford dealers on the vehicle.
That makes sense and thanks for posting that! I went into a dealer and asked for an OASIS on our Expy and the service writer said huh? and I said you know, the service that Ford dealers have done. So he printed out what I thought was an OASIS, now it makes sense

And here I've been insisting that OASIS had everything any Ford dealer did on a vehicle

Reps given...

Old 05-21-2016, 04:39 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
From some discussion quite some time ago if I recall correctly
that report comes two ways. Long and short. The longer one as
more data on what has been done to the vehicle. And from what
I remember it more times than not the short one you get most times.

What I am not sure of is how the two differ in what they show.

When you take into account the age of most of these Trucks,Vans and Excursions
and the fact that a lot of people as soon as the warrantee expires they go else where
for any work. The OASIS report is only slight useful. One example is you don't
see that the STC has been updated and when you crack it open to do it. You find
that someone has already done the work.

Your best bet is if the owner has service records for the truck.

Best luck on a good truck to start with. Take a bit to read in the Tech Folder.
You best way to get a good deal is to go with education and not be afraid to walk away.

Sean <BR>

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 05-21-2016, 06:28 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Yahiko
From some discussion quite some time ago if I recall correctly
that report comes two ways. Long and short. The longer one as
more data on what has been done to the vehicle. And from what
I remember it more times than not the short one you get most times.

What I am not sure of is how the two differ in what they show.

When you take into account the age of most of these Trucks,Vans and Excursions
and the fact that a lot of people as soon as the warrantee expires they go else where
for any work. The OASIS report is only slight useful. One example is you don't
see that the STC has been updated and when you crack it open to do it. You find
that someone has already done the work.

Your best bet is if the owner has service records for the truck.

Best luck on a good truck to start with. Take a bit to read in the Tech Folder.
You best way to get a good deal is to go with education and not be afraid to walk away.

Sean <BR>

6.0L Tech Folder
So just to clarify: it is all out of OASIS, it is just the way they query the database? As in give me ALL records for VIN XXX or give me only warranty records, etc.?

Or is it a different system they use, which makes no sense at all...?

I go to Lexus and they print out everything and it is just noted who paid. I go to Mercedes and it is ditto. I would think Ford would keep ALL history on a vehicle for anything they ever saw it for, even if it ended up being for their own protection...

Old 05-21-2016, 07:14 PM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
I TRIED to get the maintenance history on my 2006 when I bought it. The dealer that did the work would NOT give me any history because I did not pay for the work that was done. ONLY the owner of the truck at the time of the repair could get the info. period!!!! I talked to Ford corporate and they said the same thing, I can not get the history without permission of the previous owner. My local dealer said even they can not get maintenance history from another dealer. If your local dealer is comfortable giving you the info good for you, but from what I can tell they can be sued by the previous owner if they give it out without permission. I went through the EXACT same thing with a Dodge I bought, no way to get the info.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:27 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by bobv60
I TRIED to get the maintenance history on my 2006 when I bought it. The dealer that did the work would NOT give me any history because I did not pay for the work that was done. ONLY the owner of the truck at the time of the repair could get the info. period!!!! I talked to Ford corporate and they said the same thing, I can not get the history without permission of the previous owner. My local dealer said even they can not get maintenance history from another dealer. If your local dealer is comfortable giving you the info good for you, but from what I can tell they can be sued by the previous owner if they give it out without permission. I went through the EXACT same thing with a Dodge I bought, no way to get the info.
Interesting... So, at both Lexus and Mercedes they made me show proof of ownership before they would print the vehicle service history. Then the print-outs only show the dealer that did the service, but no owner information is included. Obviously they have figured that part out, but very surprised Ford hasn't, or it has and the Dealers don't know how to pick the option of: "exclude owner info." -- I bet it is there...

Old 05-21-2016, 07:38 PM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
Interesting... So, at both Lexus and Mercedes they made me show proof of ownership before they would print the vehicle service history. Then the print-outs only show the dealer that did the service, but no owner information is included. Obviously they have figured that part out, but very surprised Ford hasn't, or it has and the Dealers don't know how to pick the option of: "exclude owner info." -- I bet it is there...
On both the Ford and Dodge I could get GENERIC info, IE, "Check for electrical problem" "preform 50,000 mile maintenance", the date and the miles, but that was all. Nothing on what was actually done. I have gotten the same info from Carfax, just "service" date and miles. I really wish I could get more info. Have no idea if the STC has been replaced on my 06, but with 200,000+ miles I think it probably has.
Believe me, I had LOTS of time invested on trying to get more info on both rigs, same thing on both, no way to get it unless you get permission from previous owner.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:34 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
So just to clarify: it is all out of OASIS, it is just the way they query the database? As in give me ALL records for VIN XXX or give me only warranty records, etc.?

Or is it a different system they use, which makes no sense at all...?

I go to Lexus and they print out everything and it is just noted who paid. I go to Mercedes and it is ditto. I would think Ford would keep ALL history on a vehicle for anything they ever saw it for, even if it ended up being for their own protection...
That was all from the OASIS report. I think it did depend on how they did it on what you would get.

When I asked for that info from the dealer I got my truck from they gave it all to me.
All the PO info was scrubbed from it. All you got was VIX xyz had this and that done at
XX-XX-XXXX date.

The only info I see of real value is owner service records with milage and work done.
Receipts are am other good thing to have if they are done correctly. Miles,VIN and date.
The app I use will let you export the data and you could print it out when selling.
RoadTrip >>> Road Trip for iPhone and iPad - darrensoft.ca

Sean <BR>

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 05-21-2016, 10:57 PM
tfunk88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts
The vehicle history report I got had everything done to it by a Ford dealer. No prior owner info, but had info about every repair that had been made. But this was a few years ago, maybe they've changed what they allow. For instance you can no longer get older Window Stickers online without being a dealer paying for that service.