What books should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 08:40 PM
third_edition
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What books should I buy?

To prepare for my overhaul, I'm planning to acquire some manuals and literature.

I'm not too familiar with 39 pickups, sooo, what books do I need?

Thanks,
George

Old 05-20-2016, 11:52 AM
FireEngineMike
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Consider joining the local chapter of the Early Ford V-8 Club (http://www.earlyfordv8.org); there are lots of helpful people in mine. Plus it gives you activities with like-minded people.
The first book to buy or download is the "Ford Chassis Parts & Accessories" better known as the Green Book/Bible which gives part numbers by model and year. Available in hard copy, CD, and free on the internet at Home (the link works - norgv8club.com) Note that there are some errors in the Green Book
4 engine books to start with (all available from VanPeltSales.com):
Ford & Mercury Flathead V-8 by Joe Abbin: $21.95. Good first book. Or buy from the Early Ford V-8 Foundation for $21.95 including shipping and support a good cause at http://www.fordv8foundation.org/store.html.
Flathead Facts by John W. Lawson: $39. Includes dyno tested results of modifications.
How to Rebuild & Modify Ford Flathead V-8 Engines by Mike Bishop & Vern Tardel: $34.99
Nostalgia - rebuilding and Modifying the Flathead Ford V-8 by Ron Holleran: $27 Ron is a frequent poster on the FordBarn.com Early V-8 forum

Old 05-20-2016, 12:13 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 05-20-2016, 10:03 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
If you are at all interested in going stock with the truck you should consider the 38-39 Ford Book, published by the Early Ford V8 Club. This book specifically covers cars but the chassis is almost identical between 1/2 ton trucks and cars. Also mentioned in this book is a list of literate that is really helpful for restoration of a 38 Ford.

I also recommend John W Lawson's flathead book. This is the best researched engine modification book available for the early Ford V8 motor.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:38 PM
third_edition
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there such a thing as an "Assembly Manual"? I have used these on other restorations and they are really helpful.