1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Air spring suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 10:05 PM
Dirty Offio
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Air spring suspension question

Hey guys,

A bit of background to make this make sense. My wife has a hip and a knee that are about shot, and has a hard time getting into and out of full size pickups, like my 85 F250 4x2. Makes it hard to go camping, etc.

Here is the question. Does anyone know of a kit that could be used to make the truck "kneel" sort of like a transit bus? I drive truck, so I am aware that this will require air springs in the front and the back. Having a hard time finding a heavy duty air ride kit for the front end. Found a rear kit that replaces the leaf springs for like 3 grand, but it only gives you 4" of drop when deflated. That might be enough if I can drop the front a bit further...I think?

Any helpful thoughts or info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Last edited by Dirty Offio; 05-18-2016 at 10:06 PM. Reason: clarification.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:43 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,098 Likes on 1,788 Posts
Get a new hip & knee might be cheaper!
My wife just had both hips replaced, 2nd one 2 weeks ago.
I would have to lift her into my truck 02 Durango with running boards. not too bad as she is only about 90 lbs.

On the bags if only looking on line you may not find anything to fit. I would say call them if you haven't already to see if they have something not listed that will work.

Also thinking for the front they may not have a bag long enough to replace the coil spring so may need to build a spacer type thing for the bag to sit on.
Say spring is 8" and bag 4" you may need a 4" spacer.
Good luck and let us know what you come up with.
Dave ----

Old 05-19-2016, 05:54 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,673 Likes on 1,352 Posts
They do make running boards that go up and down. My wife has to take one of those little plastic stools along to get in my truck. It a little comical when out in public and I have to put this step stool down so she can get in and out, but it does work.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:13 PM
Dirty Offio
Senior User
Dave,

I was thinking of the bags on big trucks...they are pretty tall, but that is a good point. There are health reasons for no replacement...I wish she would/could get them replaced, it would make things much easier.

Franklin,

Good point on the running boards...I have seen them on 4x4's, I will look into them and see if there is an offering that wold work here. We use the stool method for her to get in and out of the van...the steps are not spaced right for her getting into the truck...which frustrates the hell out of her, then she blows her stack...sure you have had the same kind of thing happen.

Thanks for the thoughts guys!

Old 05-19-2016, 12:57 PM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirty Offio
Dave,

Good point on the running boards...I have seen them on 4x4's, I will look into them and see if there is an offering that wold work here. We use the stool method for her to get in and out of the van...the steps are not spaced right for her getting into the truck...which frustrates the hell out of her, then she blows her stack...sure you have had the same kind of thing happen.

How about fabricating a suitable light weight [aluminum?] ramp which is the appropriate dimension so she could walk up the ramp and step into the cab? The ramp could then be put in the bed.

Maybe take two plastic ramps [for oil changes, etc.] and bolt them together, side-by-side. Perhaps that would be stable and not be too expensive.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:27 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,098 Likes on 1,788 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirty Offio
Dave,

I was thinking of the bags on big trucks...they are pretty tall, but that is a good point. There are health reasons for no replacement...I wish she would/could get them replaced, it would make things much easier.

Franklin,

Thanks for the thoughts guys!
The bags on the back of my KW 2012 tractor are not that tall. Same with the ones on my trailer or Petes in our fleet not that they don't make taller ones just not seen them on any of our trucks & trailers.

On the running boards I see they make ones that fold out & in now. You may not find a bolt on for our older trucks but might find something that you can make work.
Maybe between the fold out boards and a small step you can make it work.

I hear you on the why she cant get them replaced. My wife need this her whole life (56 now) and just now was able to have it done. Because she has not done things like we can she has to learn how to do them like going up stairs, getting out of a chair or even put socks on. It is funny when she ask "how do you do it?" and I have to show her a few times.

Good luck and let use know what you come up with as I am sure some of us in later years will need them
Dave ----

Old 05-19-2016, 01:59 PM
Braggs
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a different approach. Rather than moving the vehicle (compressing springs, airbag systems, etc) to get the vehicle lower, why not a car seat that moves out and down? I've seen on Pimp My Ride where they modified the seats to mechanically extend out of the vehicle. They also sell disability products for just this purpose. Here's some links for ideas:

http://www.ergomobility.co.uk/wp-con...5/Turny-hd.jpg
http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j0...e-Disabled.jpg

If you need something more serious than these, then it's probably time to look at disability vans with wheelchair ramps/tiedowns. They make them in 250 and 350 varieties (even duals) to fit all your needs.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:08 PM
Dirty Offio
Senior User
Six,

There are 2 parts to this. I did not cover the 2nd, since the kneel solution fixes both. 1 part, is getting her in the truck when I am driving, the other is so she can get in and drive herself when needed. She hates being reliant on others, and is used to going here and there as she wills...not only when I am around. While the ramps may work for the one, they will not work for the other.

Dave,

Depends on what you are comparing the bags to. My 2014 Pete probably has the same bags as your KW. On the Pete, they don't look that tall, but compared to the suspension on a pickup? I have not measured them, but I think the difference may not be that much. I don't know for sure. I know the springs on the 4x2 trucks are not all that tall, unlike the 4x4 ones. Maybe it would work, maybe not.

Yeah, I did not figure there is not a kit for a Bullnose out there...but maybe one for a...2010ish superduty would work? Again, I do not know, but I will look into it.

Braggs,

Good idea, but I am not sure it would any easier or cheaper to replace both seats with those, as it would be to make the truck kneel.

We have the van with the ramp and the tie downs. (G20 Chevy) Problem is, suspension on it is soft...kinda like a sponge really, and it is not what anyone would call a powerhouse. Trying to pull a 26 foot trailer is beyond it's poor, anemic abilities...so I am working on a compromise with the pickup...it will work for camping, and let her get to the feed store when she wants to go. The 460 is not very good on gas, but she doesn't go, or want to go, that often. I don't really have the $60K plus it would take to get a new van with a bigger powerplant. (I think $60K is actually on the low side...)

Thanks guys!

Last edited by Dirty Offio; 05-19-2016 at 11:09 PM. Reason: grammer typo.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:39 PM
Dirty Offio
Senior User
Does anyone know of a good book, or other study resource for designing suspensions? Specifically parallel 4 link, but a book/site/??? that kind of covers a bit of everything would work as well.

Thanks!

Offio

Old 06-10-2016, 12:22 PM
Dirty Offio
Senior User
Lol. well, either no one saw this post, or I am not the only person that can't find a decent book or other resource! LOL

Old 06-10-2016, 05:00 PM
kg6mov
Junior User
Pirate4x4 is my source for suspension design. Not as friendly as here, but there's good tech.

One of the best things it to get the 4 link calculator and just start playing with numbers.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:28 PM
brad1979
Senior User
What I have seen in wheelchair vans, is a hydraulic cylinder that compresses the springs to lower it. Not sure what happens to release the pressure to let it back up and travel normally but it may be a simpler solution. Don't ask me how to design it though. Good luck.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:34 PM
Franklin2
Modifying the suspension of the whole truck to drop is too major, too many alignment problems, too difficult in my opinion.

At one time I was investigating the powered extendable steps you can buy for the large RV's. They make them for those huge greyhound bus type rv's so you can get up in them.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:37 PM
Franklin2
Not cheap but I think it would work nice.

Kwikee 903209025 32 Series RV Electric Double Step | eBay

Old 06-10-2016, 09:40 PM
kg6mov
Junior User
In short wheel base 4x4's you see a lot of guys running the winch cable to the front axle and using the winch to hunker the front end down.

Some of the buggy guys even build in small ATV winches for specifically that purpose.

You might be able to do something similar.

Quick Reply: Air spring suspension question