Sponsored by: DP Tuner

SCT x4 vs. edge evolution

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 06:24 PM
rbrungard2012
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SCT x4 vs. edge evolution

Hey gents, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with running the SCT canned tunes on their 7.3's. I currently have an edge evolution 2 and it works fairly well for me but I was looking into the SCT X4 for the custom aspect of it. After initial purchase the bank account will need some time to heal before going to innovative diesel tunes. I was wondering if the SCT canned tunes will be any Hotter/better in my truck than the edge ones? Thanks for any input.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:19 PM
Gatordog
Senior User
SCT is wierd, from what I have read is the custom tunes for SCT are very costly and every tune is custom. Most people here go with DP Tuner or Hydra.
SCT dealers are working out of their Moms house, in my area. Not saying that it will not workout or that the tunes are bad.

Old 05-17-2016, 03:04 PM
Rikster-7700
Fleet Mechanic
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I too would second at least looking at the Hydra or DP.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:35 PM
rbrungard2012
Senior User
I have looked at everything at this point and I would love to go straight to DP and tell them what I'd like to have, but I'm 19 years old and working on a budget which is why I'm trying to... Shal we say "monitor" my spending and the SCT seemed like something decent to go with that could be customized for the money the tuner itself costs. I appreciate the input. I've read all kinds of guys running them on their 6.0's but it's hard to find info on the 7.3's that might be using them if any are. I did find some here and there and most of it seemed okay and straight forward, guess it's just not that common. It's hard to prioritize when I love my truck so much... But other things are so much more important. Not looking for crazy power, or the stupid smoke show others my age like to put on, I just love the seat of your pants feeling and the benefits of it for towing and drivability.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:47 PM
Gatordog
Senior User
What truck with mods do you have, the one in your sig is a idi and that engine never had a computer.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:53 PM
rbrungard2012
Senior User
Yes I know, I haven't been on in a while the truck I have is my profile pic. 2000 f-250 ex. Cab short bed lariat. Has egt, boost, and trans. gauges, 6637 intake, AIH delete, 4" turbo- back,did the stupid fuel filter check valve delete thing too cause it was quick while I was replacing filter. I still have the IDI but she's in retirement now.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:49 PM
rbrungard2012
Senior User
And I apologize. I just realized that even though I changed it last night, I for some reason had no profile picture. I also forgot to mention I have a wicked wheel on the way, just not installed yet.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:17 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't tell you what the SCT can tunes are like. I myself plan to get the SCT X4 and getting tunes for the X4 can be downloaded online. There are many different tuners that write tunes that can be downloaded to the SCT X4. The price of tunes are the same price. I myself would rather have a programmer then a chip. Since I will only really need a daily driver and tow tune there is no need to change tunes on the fly for me.

Not many guys are fans of programmer most want chip. But the SCT X4 is a good bang for the buck and you can always download different tunes later.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:39 PM
rbrungard2012
Senior User
[/QUOTE]But the SCT X4 is a good bang for the buck and you can always download different tunes later.[/QUOTE]

This was the impression I was under too. And if I can find it with a reliable return policy, what do I have to lose? I might just try it and post results.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:19 AM
ff lc freak
Cross-Country
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
The X4 worked great for the V10 I had. However, when I used it for my 7.3, it didn't read some of the sensors correctly. It led to some head scratching for a few days. You can read about it here - https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-pressure.html. My personal feeling is that if they can't even get the programmer to read the sensors correctly, why would I trust them to write a tune for me.

On a side note, I used the X4 on my V10 for custom tunes from 5Star and was happy with it. However, once I got a Hydra for my 7.3, I realized how much more useful the chip is. It really is a huge upgrade over the tuner for ease of use.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:13 PM
rbrungard2012
Senior User
So I went ahead and went out on a limb and ordered the SCT X4 flash tuner for my truck and I must say, I'm fairly pleased. I haven't had any issues with it thus far and I feel like I did my transmission a huge favor in the way the shifts feel. There are less customizable options in the unit itself, but it definitely works better in my opinion. I obviously have no official numbers from the dyno or otherwise, but I truly believe there is a bump in torque that you can feel, there's less smoke, faster turbo spool, less lag, and its much more snappy. It's like it is tailored better to the parameters of the truck. Instead of just pouring on more fuel like the edge, it seems to add other key factors in to make it burn the fuel it gets, rather than just blow it out the pipe. Idles less choppy and quieter too. Time will obviously tell better and I'll go custom when I have the money, but for now it's got my approval.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:42 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ff lc freak
The X4 worked great for the V10 I had. However, when I used it for my 7.3, it didn't read some of the sensors correctly. It led to some head scratching for a few days. You can read about it here - https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-pressure.html. My personal feeling is that if they can't even get the programmer to read the sensors correctly, why would I trust them to write a tune for me.

On a side note, I used the X4 on my V10 for custom tunes from 5Star and was happy with it. However, once I got a Hydra for my 7.3, I realized how much more useful the chip is. It really is a huge upgrade over the tuner for ease of use.
Thanks for posting up about the issue with the X4 and 7.3 reading sensors. Did you ever contact SCT to see if there was a download to correct the problem? Now from the other thread you had (which by the way...was full of some great info !!!) but wasn't there an issue with what other sensor besides the baro/pressure ??? Sorry I'll have to reread it since there was alot of info there. I am about to buy the X4 for my truck and one of the main reasons I wanted the X4 is for data logging and the wifi downloading of tunes. Did it have tunes for the E99? Are you running the XLE4 DPC-402 pcm in your truck?

Last question can you adjust shift points on a X4 for the 7.3 ?

Now as far as tunes for the X4 I have already checked with PHP and Tony Wildman and they both have tunes that can be downloaded to the X4. But for now anything would be better then the stock E99 tunes I have.

Originally Posted by rbrungard2012
So I went ahead and went out on a limb and ordered the SCT X4 flash tuner for my truck and I must say, I'm fairly pleased. I haven't had any issues with it thus far and I feel like I did my transmission a huge favor in the way the shifts feel. There are less customizable options in the unit itself, but it definitely works better in my opinion. I obviously have no official numbers from the dyno or otherwise, but I truly believe there is a bump in torque that you can feel, there's less smoke, faster turbo spool, less lag, and its much more snappy. It's like it is tailored better to the parameters of the truck. Instead of just pouring on more fuel like the edge, it seems to add other key factors in to make it burn the fuel it gets, rather than just blow it out the pipe. Idles less choppy and quieter too. Time will obviously tell better and I'll go custom when I have the money, but for now it's got my approval.
So are you still pleased with results ? I am pleased to hear that even their "Canned Tunes" were an improvement over stock tunes.
Have you tried to adjust shift points on a X4 for the 7.3 ? Have you also done any data logging with yours?

Old 11-01-2016, 05:10 AM
rbrungard2012
Senior User
Yes I am still fairly pleased with the results. Basically any kind of tuning is night and day from stock in these trucks, but the SCT does what I ask of it. Tows campers and farm tractors flawlessly and cruises the street with ease. I have done a little datalogging with it, but I don't really pay much note to a lot of what it reads. I watch my EGT, trans temp, and boost gauges in the pillar and that's about all I need. I have also done some slight shift adjusting, but my trans is not built yet and I don't like to get crazy so just 5 or 10% here and there. I know there's better things out there with the chips, but it does what I need it to do in my DD and I'm happy with it.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:14 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Yes I am still fairly pleased with the results. Basically any kind of tuning is night and day from stock in these trucks, but the SCT does what I ask of it. Tows campers and farm tractors flawlessly and cruises the street with ease. I have done a little datalogging with it, but I don't really pay much note to a lot of what it reads. I watch my EGT, trans temp, and boost gauges in the pillar and that's about all I need. I have also done some slight shift adjusting, but my trans is not built yet and I don't like to get crazy so just 5 or 10% here and there. I know there's better things out there with the chips, but it does what I need it to do in my DD and I'm happy with it.
Thanks for the update !! It sounds like it will suit my needs. Like you said any tuning is better then stock tunes. Since I added the 1.0 turbine housing I just have a hard time getting the turbo to spool up around town. It works great towing down the highway. Also I built my trans and changed the shifting with hard parts and honestly it shifts TOO hard into OD unless I am towing. So being able to adjust shift firmness would be nice. I have been saying I am going to buy it for awhile now and it is too the point I just can't stand the stock tunes anymore. I have made it 230k on stock tunes?! So I hope I have the same results.
Thanks for your input !!

Old 03-10-2017, 06:55 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
So are you still running the SCT X4 tunes ? What kind of EGT's are you running with the tow tune when towing? Well as I reread this thread I see I said I was going to get the SCT X4 over a year ago. Well I just picked up a X4 from RiffRaff since they had it on sale. I am hoping to down load a tune tomorrow. I downloaded the software to my laptop for the data logging and the one for updates & downloading email tunes. That will be a real learning curve for my old butt. So have you used any of the software?

Quick Reply: SCT x4 vs. edge evolution