1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

ESOF and solid axles

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 01:50 PM
Cai Garage
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ESOF and solid axles

Did a search and could not find anything regarding this.
Ive got a 97 f150 with a solid axle swapped in. I somehow did not take into account the 4x4 system as I built this for a friend 15years back as a show truck. It is now mine and im turning it into a trail rig.
Ive got no abs, no vacuum actuators, manual locking hubs so its a given that my esof does not work. Ive got the shift motor rigged to a power window switch to allow me to shift from 2h to 4L but as you can imagine, 4h is a bit difficult to find. The dash lights do not work. Anyone know a way to trick the system so my switch works or should I just buy a floor shift and all associated hardware? Any other methods/suggestions are welcome too. Thanks

Old 05-16-2016, 04:56 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
Old 05-16-2016, 04:57 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
drawing above is from a different FORD truck, but appears you need a two position switch or two switches to do two functions........ how can you do it with one ?

also,, im not sure of the wiring, but isn't there a position switch on the case that the harness plugs into also ? I assumed this help determine when the motor movement stopped ?

Old 05-16-2016, 05:31 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
You need only to find the leads out of the case motor that signal position to the GEM in the original installation schematic, then use them to light your indicator lights.
The case motor only has two positions.
A push button switches would be the easiest so you can stop the power when the position is reached.
Reversing is a matter of changing polarity to the motor with one of the switches.
In the schematic the relays 378 and 379 do this reversing so must work together in that circuit configuration.
Otherwise you wire to do the same function with switches.
In a non modded truck all you would do is pull a front solenoid connector off to have the rear go into low range without the front.
If it makes any difference to you, in a stock setup the case motor in 4L also sends a signal to the PCM to change shift points vs engine speed.
Otherwise the motor will wind to the moon before the trans shifts because it does not know any different without the 4L signal.
Also, do not try to engage Low range while moving for safety and reliability.
At least stop the truck to make the change and signal the PCM of that change so the shift schedule changes with it..
Think it through and make the right manual control system decisions and it should work out..
Good luck.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:36 AM
Cai Garage
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluegrass 7
You need only to find the leads out of the case motor that signal position to the GEM in the original installation schematic, then use them to light your indicator lights.
The case motor only has two positions.
A push button switches would be the easiest so you can stop the power when the position is reached.
Reversing is a matter of changing polarity to the motor with one of the switches.
In the schematic the relays 378 and 379 do this reversing so must work together in that circuit configuration.
Otherwise you wire to do the same function with switches.
In a non modded truck all you would do is pull a front solenoid connector off to have the rear go into low range without the front.
If it makes any difference to you, in a stock setup the case motor in 4L also sends a signal to the PCM to change shift points vs engine speed.
Otherwise the motor will wind to the moon before the trans shifts because it does not know any different without the 4L signal.
Also, do not try to engage Low range while moving for safety and reliability.
At least stop the truck to make the change and signal the PCM of that change so the shift schedule changes with it..
Think it through and make the right manual control system decisions and it should work out..
Good luck.
Still have not been able to figure out the lights haha. The shift motor itself has the circuit which tells it when to stop, its determining which wire goes where thats been harder to figure out or im just lazy... Been busy transferring body panels from another newer f150 that im gutting and turning into a prerunner.
So far the engine has been shifting ok on low range. Just wished I could go 4hi on some occasions. 4lo and 5.13s just get too slow at times.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:58 AM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
I don't know what you have now, but reversing the motor leads will run the case motor backwards to 4H and to 2wd.
You should be awhere that going from 2wd to 4H involves an electric clutch to allow shift on the fly so gears don't grind. This is not often spoken about.
Take the case motor down, look at the circuit board to help figure out the signal and control functions the wiper contacts do and run the motor to verify..
Mainly the DC power to the motor is controlled from relays under the dash.
The signal functions are done on the motor board for operation of the firewall solenoids and signals back to the GEM.

Volt/Ohm meter will help verify what you need to know.

Old 05-24-2016, 05:06 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
maybe you need to leave the transfer case in HIGH, and just control the vacuum to the front axle to engage the front end ???? If you don't need LO.