Sponsored by: Moser

Helper springs v.s. air bags v.s. whatever

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 08:38 AM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Helper springs v.s. air bags v.s. whatever

So, at this point I'm wrapping up my steering and suspension upgrades and it seems the last thing I would like is a little more load capacity for the rear end and a little more height in the back as well. The truck will see minimal offroad use, but I would also like to make it so it's as capable as it is stock. The only upgrades I have currently are the Rancho quickLIFT fronts and the RS9000XL rear shocks along with 20x9 wheels and 33x12.50 M/T's, otherwise it's a stock 4WD truck. I want to bring the back end up a bit since it's a little bit too level for my tastes, plus I wouldn't mind the extra payload for hauling scrap and pulling a trailer. A friend of mine has the Super Springs and loves them, and a guy I know at work was a big fan of his Firestone bags. I like the Super Springs due to not having to babysit them, but the adjustability of the air bags seems nice too.

What are your guys' thoughts? Is there something else I should be looking at?

Old 05-16-2016, 11:03 AM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
The only thing you can do to increase payload is get a different truck.
Having said that, there are things you can do to affect how your truck handles that payload.
Helper springs can lift the rear and decrease sag under load - unless they are progressive springs. These springs are designed to give a "soft" ride unloaded and get increasingly stiff as the weight increases. They are not likely to do much to affect the unloaded stance or ride.
Air bags can definitely affect how the trucks sits when unloaded as well as loaded. They can also affect ride harshness. When empty, a light truck will ride more harshly. However, you are going to have that no matter what you use under there.
If you go with airbags, I recommend the Air Lift 5000 Ultimates, they include an internal jounce cushion, so you can run 0 psi without damaging the bags. Additionally, unless you carry an in bed camper, I recommend plumbing them together to keep the ride height level on each side.
Other - you could simply remove the stock spacer between axle and springs and insert a taller one. This is perhaps the easiest, most cost effective method of getting the bed of the truck higher.

Good luck.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:08 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
I would put different rear blocks in it. That is the easiest and best solution.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:38 PM
foozlemonster
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm currently saving for the ProComp long AAL's for my 2012 FX4. I've heard they add about 2" and don't make the ride too harsh.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:20 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Roadmaster Active Suspension

Best of all worlds. Lessened axle wrap (wheel hop). Added loaded ride control. Helps with sway. Ride unloaded is less twitchy. Brought the back end up about 1".
The only thing it isn't is easily adjustable. Requires the truck to be on stands with the axle at full droop to adjust.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:14 AM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 335 Likes on 203 Posts
I prefer the Hellwig helping spring kit. It's cheap, just bolts on without having to touch the existing U-bolts, and is easily reversible later.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:54 AM
Rob.D
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MCDavis
Roadmaster Active Suspension

Best of all worlds. Lessened axle wrap (wheel hop). Added loaded ride control. Helps with sway. Ride unloaded is less twitchy. Brought the back end up about 1".
The only thing it isn't is easily adjustable. Requires the truck to be on stands with the axle at full droop to adjust.
I agree with the above.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:53 AM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
I am leaning towards the RAS at this point as it seems to be the best of all worlds.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:12 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by the_auto_tech
I am leaning towards the RAS at this point as it seems to be the best of all worlds.
For the cost it's pretty spot on.
Not as user adjustable as an air bag set up, but much more ride compliant than Timbrens or even some other helpers.

If you get it, start with the tight white disc setting...that netted me about 0.75" of ride height in the back. I then cranked on them a touch more, loose white disc, not quite on the black disc and it came up a bit more but also firmed up the ride.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:07 PM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by the_auto_tech
I have RAS on my '16 but I prefer the airbags that I had on my '13. RAS does give a great ride unloaded and with the 1600 lb pin weight and 200 lb hitch sits about 1/2" low in the rear. However with my 24' bumper pull flatbed with two RZR's on it sits way too low in the rear to even be usable. I see that they now make brackets so that my fifth wheel rails will work with Firestone air bags so I may change over later this year.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:59 AM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
My only gripe with the bags is if one goes bad during a trip you're stuck without it. There's no fail safe for it. Also, they don't do much to help anything else on the ride like the RAS seems to. The issue I keep seeing with the Super Springs is that they make noise going over bumps. I haven't heard of any gripes about the RAS minus the fact they can't be loaded as much as the bags or other helper springs. I'm not really after loading the **** out of the truck, but just a bit of lift in the back and a little more payload capability. Also, taller blocks seem to just induce axle wrap anyways.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:02 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Bumping this back up.

Getting ready to order something for the rear and haven't decided 100% yet. I have a friend with the Super Springs and he said they work well for handling loads but they do tend to rattle when going over quick bumps. Also, a lot of people had issues with them hitting the frame. The guy that works next to me had air bags on his F-150 and said it worked great for handling the load of his TT, but he did not have the on board compressor and had to manually inflate and deflate them. Everything I hear about the RAS is good, it just can't handle the really heavy loads like bags do. My truck is unloaded 95% of the time, so I think the RAS will be the way to go for me. Bags are nice, but they will go un-used most of the time and the RAS will help with daily driving unloaded. Bags will do nothing for the truck unloaded.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:11 AM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
You'll have to post up your impression after installation. Perhaps even a step by step how to install thread.

Old 06-13-2016, 03:18 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Made the decision to go with the RAS. Super Springs are going to be noisy and work pretty much in a similar was as the RAS with less axle wrap control with most likely similar loading capabilities. Add-a-leafs will affect the unloaded ride which I don't want. Blocks won't give me any more load capability and just increase axle wrap. Air bags will cost more and I wouldn't do it without an on-board compressor setup and won't offer the handling increase the RAS does.

That being said where did you guys purchase your RAS kits from?

Old 03-23-2017, 11:37 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Bumping this back up to see if there's any more options available at this point!

Quick Reply: Helper springs v.s. air bags v.s. whatever