1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Building my wife a fishing truck as a surprise...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 08:24 AM
Goodluckfox
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Building my wife a fishing truck as a surprise...

I know nothing about these trucks. Heck, I'm a Pontiac fan, they didn't even MAKE trucks.

Anyway, the time has come to get my wife a vehicle of her own (we downsized a while back to pay down some debt). She's been wanting a pickup truck. Her requirements were that it had to be a 4x4 with an automatic transmission. She preferred a stepside. She found this 1974 high boy on Craigslist that had been on there for a month for $2800.

Wouldn't you know it, the day I call the guy up, he's already sold it. She was disappointed, but started looking at other trucks.

I'm looking as well, and I see the same truck on CL, now for $3500. Aha! The guy is just trying to flip it. I am sure that it's going to take plenty of money in repairs, so having to spend an extra seven hundred bucks for a blank slate isn't really that big a deal. I got my paralegal to drive me out there to the guy's house.

I had already called the previous owner who gave me a rundown of what all was wrong with the truck as far as he knew, so I knew the seller was lying when he said that the belt to the power steering needed tightening; the PS pump was seized outright and the belt had been cut. Whatever; the fact is I can afford it. So I paid the guy and drove (with zero power assist whatsoever) out of his neighborhood and to a gas station where I parked and waited for a towtruck.

Local shop manager was thrilled when we brought it in. "Replace bearings, hoses, brakes, fix the power steering, get it otherwise roadworthy," are his orders. "And let me know what else it may need."

The brakes lack conviction and the power assist steering MUST be replaced or my wife will straight up MURDER me. She doesn't know about this yet. I also need to replace the seats or have them recovered. I am told that 96 and earlier F100 seats are bolt-on compatible. Are 6-way power seats with a console between an option?

Need new door panels. Sunroof (is that stock?) needs weather stripping. Dash glass was so fogged I couldn't tell if the gauges work; browsing the forum doesn't make me very hopeful that they do.

Truck has TWO gas tanks apparently, one in cab and one somewhere else. VIN says the engine is a 360.

My plan is to have it finished up by the time we close on a house, so it can be sitting in the garage when we come home from signing the papers. "Finished" here means "clean and safe with most broken things repaired" not a full frame off restoration.

Things I'll DEFINITELY be adding: nerf bars and folding steps, since it's not a stepside, and that's a long way up and down for a woman, even if she is 5'7".

Future upgrades I'm considering: Benchworks power steering conversion, Gearvendors overdrive unit so she can do 70 on the interstate.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:25 AM
54Hydro
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
You have come to the right place Mr. Pontiac fan.

Seats from any F series up to 96 are a direct bolt on to the slides. You can't use the slides from the newer pickups. Look up the f100 viking build thread, he used bucket seats, but any seat is possible with some work.

Do some searching for the steering. I believe there have been several swaps from the power assist to a '78-'79 steering linkage and gearbox. Factory parts that way and possibly less cost.

Sunroof is not stock.

Look into a F350 dual diaphragm booster to help your brakes on the cheap.

You may be surprised about the gauges, they will probably need some restoration and a new lens from the sound of it.

Ask away and good luck.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:59 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
A Gear Vendors Overdrive is gonna be an issue... Two things working against that idea;

1) It's a shortbed
2) It's 4WD

.. driveshaft is gonna get really short AND the driveshaft angle will increase - likely to the point of binding.

A new instrument cluster lense is $20 to $25.. does wonders for the psyche.

Welcome to FTE.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:05 AM
ShaneNP123
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
A Gear Vendors Overdrive is gonna be an issue... Two things working against that idea;

1) It's a shortbed
2) It's 4WD

.. driveshaft is gonna get really short AND the driveshaft angle will increase - likely to the point of binding.

A new instrument cluster lense is $20 to $25.. does wonders for the psyche.

Welcome to FTE.
Thats no shortbed.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:42 AM
norvillebob
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
great looking truck, yes those seats are terrible.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:42 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,288 Likes on 2,444 Posts
1st pic at an angle... is does look like a short bed....on the roll back yes it is a long bed. Ford truck 101: So it use to haul a camper at one time? Can you spot why I say that? 2 things are the tell tell sign.

X2 on F350 power brake booster and new master cylinder will help alot, other wise hydra boost upgrade time.

NO on factory sun roof, should be able to locate some new weather stripping. As far as door panels you can get from a number of vendors, Jeffs Bronco Graveyard, Dennis Carpenter, National Parts Depot, LMC... Ck out this list.

Parts Vendors & Resources https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14955960

Walk thru to remove the instrument cluster is in here and how to take the clear cover off. Replacement clear lens from same folks that have door panels.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...then-some.html

You will probably not be able to get bolt on aftermarket nerf bars for that old of a truck. But ck into any local welding shop, they should be able to make full length nerf bars that go past the cab end edge and to the front half of the bed, so she has steps back there too.

Join up your FTE state chapter to get local help with JY parts locating.Florida Chapter - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

And yes up to a 96 seat will bolt in on your old tracks, JY time. 6 way power seats and an overdrive unit in a "fishing" truck, WOW super nice mods for a fishing truck.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:19 PM
fordguy2100
Cargo Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 77&79F250
1st pic at an angle... is does look like a short bed....on the roll back yes it is a long bed. Ford truck 101: So it use to haul a camper at one time? Can you spot why I say that? 2 things are the tell tell sign.

Hooks between bed/cab are one of the two ways

Old 05-16-2016, 01:39 PM
wyrm73
Laughing Gas
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by fordguy2100
Hooks between bed/cab are one of the two ways
Extend-a-mirrors are the other. (most obvious in picture #2)

Old 05-16-2016, 01:53 PM
fordguy2100
Cargo Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by wyrm73
Extend-a-mirrors are the other. (most obvious in picture #2)
Ah didn't actually click to enlarge, thought they were just regular mirrors, I see the extendable part now tho.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:55 PM
Goodluckfox
Junior User
Originally Posted by 77&79F250

And yes up to a 96 seat will bolt in on your old tracks, JY time. 6 way power seats and an overdrive unit in a "fishing" truck, WOW super nice mods for a fishing truck.
Well, it's also going to be her daily driver, but a lot of that daily driving is going fishing. She doesn't have to work, and I have more money than sense. The steering and OD aren't critical priorities though and can wait for a bonus or windfall. For sure fixing this thing is going to cost more than I expect. Cheops Law.

With regard to hauling a camper... I thought the highboys weren't intended for campers due to the high center of gravity? And what does make you think it had a camper at one point? The tie down dealies around the bed? Edit: Ah, the mirrors and hook point. Clever! I hadn't noticed.

Last edited by Goodluckfox; 05-16-2016 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Reasons.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:16 PM
wyrm73
Laughing Gas
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts
Yes, most of the camper hauling was intended for the 2WDs, but the 4x4s and highboys were fully capable too. As you mentioned already, a higher center of gravity just means you have to use your brain when driving with that kind of load. Common sense was the norm back in the 70's. Now it would come with all sorts of stickers and warning labels, lol.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:09 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,288 Likes on 2,444 Posts
Good eye to all, I was trying to help ol Goodluckfox get his Ford 101 for the day. Maybe they did not come factory with those camper tie downs, but you never know what the PO did and hauled.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:26 PM
Heliguy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man, thats a nice truck! I too am a Pontiac guy with a wife who loves these old Ford trucks. Im in the finishing stages of a full frame off resto on her '78 Shortbed. We have been at it for a year now and the people on this forum have been INSTRUMENTAL in the build, Im not sure there is anything someone here does not know. Welcome.

So, my wife got the truck because a couple years ago I got my baby, an all original (other than some new paint )'68 GTO.

Good luck on the build, Ill be following closely.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:33 PM
Goodluckfox
Junior User

Originally Posted by Heliguy

So, my wife got the truck because a couple years ago I got my baby, an all original (other than some new paint )'68 GTO.

1968s represent! Here's mine! A '68 Catalina with a .30 over 455 and a very mild cam and peg-leg rear end. Still, she's mine and I love her and I've been working on her FOREVER. Fifteen years. Finally at a point in my life where I can point the Money Gun at a problem and make it go away (within reason).

And the GMC motorhome is my OTHER project. It's a 1977 Palm Beach. Because restoring a car wasn't hard enough, I decided to go for that higher degree of difficulty and take on something that's a combination car and house restoration at the same time. THAT project is shelved until I get my wife's truck sorted though.

::EDIT:: Crap is there a way to size the pictures???

Old 05-16-2016, 09:04 PM
4wydnr
Elder User
My grandpa had that same GMC camper. I remember taking a vacation to southern Georgia in it. They are so oddly cool!

Quick Reply: Building my wife a fishing truck as a surprise...