Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Tire choice

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 11:11 PM
crazymut
Laughing Gas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire choice

I looking to get new tires. Have always run BFG 265/75 R 16. Don't use the truck a whole lot now. When I do it's about 80% highway. I do tow an 8k lb trailer on occasion and my biggest use is probably when I go hunting, still most miles are on highway. Only drive a couple thousand miles a year. Any recommendations? 2001 F250 4x4 xcab

Old 05-15-2016, 11:52 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Being that we run Michelin on all our vehicles I went with the LTX M/S2's. I could not be happier with the way they ride in almost all conditions. Great traction on wet roads, due to a lot of siping, and decent on ice and packed snow. With our camper in the back, they give me plenty of confidence when we're winding up and down mountain passes at freeway speeds. They ride great and one of the best things I noticed about Michelins is when they get past half tread depth, they continue to ride and perform well, unlike so many other brands I've experienced. I went with load range E in a 285/75-16 on the Lariat rims. More money, but worth every penny, in my opinion.

Last edited by binuya; 05-16-2016 at 09:07 AM. Reason: typed incorrect load range
Old 05-15-2016, 11:56 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 05-16-2016, 12:38 AM
crazymut
Laughing Gas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by binuya
Being that we run Michelin on all our vehicles I went with the LTX M/S2's. I could not be happier with the way they ride in almost all conditions. Great traction on wet roads, due to a lot of siping, and decent on ice and packed snow. With our camper in the back, they give me plenty of confidence when we're winding up and down mountain passes at freeway speeds. They ride great and one of the best things I noticed about Michelins is when they get past half tread depth, they continue to ride and perform well, unlike so many other brands I've experienced. I went with load range D in a 285/75-16 on the Lariat rims. More money, but worth every penny, in my opinion.
Thanks for the feedback. I would have to go with load range E with the weight of my trailer. I will check them out though.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:26 AM
glockholiday
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Another vote for the Michelins.

If not those my #2 choice would be the Nitto Dura Grapplers

Dura Grappler Highway Terrain Light Truck Tire

Old 05-16-2016, 03:47 AM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Can't recommend Cooper Discover AT3s

Can't recommend Cooper Discover AT3s, they have worn fairly evenly but have had issues with cupping and balancing. Suspension is tight with low mileage Bilstiens on all 4 corners. Rotate and balance on a pretty regular schedule. Won't buy them again.

Probably try the LTX A/T 2's or Toyo Open country AT next time around

Old 05-16-2016, 06:22 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,106 Likes on 2,167 Posts
i have been running the 285/75/16 cooper AT3's on all my trucks for a few years now. average mileage is 60,000 before they get replaced. and we run heavy loads.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:33 AM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,697 Likes on 1,136 Posts
Michelin is an awesome tire Toyo is a awesome tire.

BUT you only drive 2,000 miles a year! 60,000 mile tire deviled by 2,000 is 30 years of tread life. they won't last 30 years.

buy the cheapest tire you can find it will still dry rot or separate before any of the tread is gone.

local tire shops here won't touch a tire that is 5 years old to repair, ballance or even put air in it.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:47 AM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc transport
i have been running the 285/75/16 cooper AT3's on all my trucks for a few years now. average mileage is 60,000 before they get replaced. and we run heavy loads.
I have run other Coopers in the past with good results and really had high hopes for these. Maybe I got some from a bad batch. If cupping had only happened in one position on the truck i would suspect a suspension issue but not on all 4. oh well

Old 05-16-2016, 07:17 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
This is what I`m running on my truck and Exc with no issues. I have not replaced them yet so avg mileage tbd

Old 05-16-2016, 07:23 AM
Rikster-7700
Fleet Mechanic
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
If you can get to actually use them before they rot off your rims, I would recommend the LTX M/S 2 also, been a great tire so far

Old 05-16-2016, 07:29 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,106 Likes on 2,167 Posts
i have never had any luck with michelins on cars or trucks.
i have taken off and thrown away 6 sets of almost new tires due to severe dry rot.
i had a set on the 04 when i got it that were 14 months old and had 1/4 inch deep dry rot cracks in the sidewalls near the beads, and the treads were full of dry rot spider cracks.
same thing with the 4 sets i took off the crown vics and grand marquis cars. less than two years old, and so dry rot i would not drive the cars until the tires were removed.
BFG at's were almost as bad, within 4 years they had to be removed due to blowouts at the dry rot cracks while still looking like new tread.
the coopers seem to be a softer compound tire so they do not dry rot as quickly.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:17 AM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another vote for Michelin LTX MS2's in load range E. Awesome tires! As they age they do not do quite as well in mud; however, when we had the ice storm in NC a few months ago I had to drive across the state and I was very impressed. Only studded tires would have been better. I am not aware of any dry rot issues on the ones we have been using for 18 years on a fleet. If you drive it every month then you should be fine.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:26 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
i have never had any luck with michelins on cars or trucks.
i have taken off and thrown away 6 sets of almost new tires due to severe dry rot.
i had a set on the 04 when i got it that were 14 months old and had 1/4 inch deep dry rot cracks in the sidewalls near the beads, and the treads were full of dry rot spider cracks.
same thing with the 4 sets i took off the crown vics and grand marquis cars. less than two years old, and so dry rot i would not drive the cars until the tires were removed.
BFG at's were almost as bad, within 4 years they had to be removed due to blowouts at the dry rot cracks while still looking like new tread.
the coopers seem to be a softer compound tire so they do not dry rot as quickly.
Sounds like sun issues... like maybe some shade would help.

I have the Michelin LTX MS2 as well, after burning through different tires that either failed prematurely or had no serious traction in the snow. With those few miles, if you drive in the snow at all - I'd go for the tire with the mountain snowflake logo. They wear terribly because they are so soft, but as mentioned before - dry rot will get you before wear will. The mountain snowflake tires handle wet roads very well, just make sure you choose a quiet one.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:42 AM
JayTheCPA
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
If I am going to put mileage on the tires, the Micheline LTX MS2's have done well for me on both the 250 and my 7,200# SUV (both running OE sizes, Load E, and towing 6 - 7K#'s). I once ran Michelin Silent Armor's on the 250 and while they towed well, I pulled them off as the AT design was just too soft for me and my mostly on-road use.

Have seen were others are running Coopers on similar rigs to ours and are getting good results.

Agree that the current generation of tires are not aging as well as ones from decades past. Case in point is that my 8 year old Michelin trailer tires are trash (sidewall cracking and tread separation) where my brother's boat trailer tires from the 90's are still reliable enough to travel 2 miles a year. (And, Yes, I realize that 8 year old tires are *way* past their life. I just did not use that trailer for a while and now I need it.)

Quick Reply: Tire choice