Sponsored by: Moser

Rolled Truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 05:49 PM
2005 Ex Limited
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rolled Truck

I know of a guy selling a 2011 150 that's been rolled. (I give 0 effs if it's totaled or not as I keep vehicles forever).

I know I can get it for the right price, but where do I even start looking for a new cab and bed?

Even if I bought those new, and then sold is as a salvage title I imagine that I'd come out ahead. Since I work in the oil fields, and an empty F250 just beats me to death I figure something that has a much more cushy ride is going to be for the best.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:18 PM
2005 Ex Limited
Senior User
So nothing?

Old 05-21-2016, 06:52 PM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Salvaged titles are hard to finance , you can only get 1/2 of the value. Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

Old 05-22-2016, 04:48 PM
maytag906
Posting Guru
Salvage yards should have cabs and beds.

Old 05-26-2016, 06:48 PM
73fxe
Junior User
I bought My 2010 XLT 2 wheel drive with a salvage title. I have put $1200. into it. I still need to have the bed side repaired and painted $1900. If I sell it, I still could ask around $12,000 and sell for $11,500. There is a lot of labor in installing a cab so you still are putting a lot into it.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:39 AM
Augster
Senior User
I've purchased several salvaged titled cars in the past. You have to determine what its eventual future resale value is (which already is tough to forecast for clean titled cars), minus the initial purchase cost and required repairs.

Salvaged vehicles are harder to sell due to buyer concerns, sell for significantly less, and yes, getting a car financed is tougher because the loan company will only value such vehicles very low (the last salvaged car I sold the buyer needed a car loan but her bank would only finance a relatively low amount, no matter that the damage was only cosmetic and all repaired with factory BMW parts--BMW parts are notoriously expensive which is why many times even mild damage to expensive components requiring replacement the insurance company would just total a BMW).

If your goal is to recoup as much total cost upon resale, then you must be very frugal in your repair expenditures, try to do most if not all the work yourself, and accept the fact that you can't replace every damaged and missing non-critical part if attempting to maximize return (unless you can get their replacement parts dirt cheap).

Even if you plan on keeping the truck "forever," you still need to research all the possible costs to get this salvaged truck to its final end state that you want it in, then compare that to a comparable used, clean-titled truck. More often than not, it's better to just buy a truck that's ready to go, because the salvage seller is trying to make money, the body/repair shop is trying to make money, and the parts seller (both new and used) is trying to make money. A complete, running vehicle is almost always cheaper to get than buying a non-running vehicle and adding all those dealer-marked-up parts and labor costs.

Also, buying a running salvaged car can be an extremely risky endeavor because it's very difficult to determine the extent of its previous damage and what was done to get it back into DMV-inspected/certified running, sellable condition until its too late, unless you can get the vehicle on a lift and inspect it inside and out before purchase. The majority of the times the repairs are sub-optimal, replacement parts are almost always generic non-OEM garbage, and the vehicle usually runs less than ideally (engine, suspension, and/or transmission issues, squeaks, noises, misalignments, mismatched paint, massive overspray, etc).

Personally, after all my experiences, I will never buy a salvaged vehicle again; even the cars where I did all the repairs myself except painting, I lost massive amounts of money. It's just not worth all the hassle, work, time, and headache, on top of the financial loss.

Old 05-28-2016, 07:44 AM
73fxe
Junior User
Insurance co. won't insure a salvage title truck like a clear title.

Old 05-28-2016, 01:08 PM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Augster
I've purchased several salvaged titled cars in the past. You have to determine what its eventual future resale value is (which already is tough to forecast for clean titled cars), minus the initial purchase cost and required repairs.

Salvaged vehicles are harder to sell due to buyer concerns, sell for significantly less, and yes, getting a car financed is tougher because the loan company will only value such vehicles very low (the last salvaged car I sold the buyer needed a car loan but her bank would only finance a relatively low amount, no matter that the damage was only cosmetic and all repaired with factory BMW parts--BMW parts are notoriously expensive which is why many times even mild damage to expensive components requiring replacement the insurance company would just total a BMW).

If your goal is to recoup as much total cost upon resale, then you must be very frugal in your repair expenditures, try to do most if not all the work yourself, and accept the fact that you can't replace every damaged and missing non-critical part if attempting to maximize return (unless you can get their replacement parts dirt cheap).

Even if you plan on keeping the truck "forever," you still need to research all the possible costs to get this salvaged truck to its final end state that you want it in, then compare that to a comparable used, clean-titled truck. More often than not, it's better to just buy a truck that's ready to go, because the salvage seller is trying to make money, the body/repair shop is trying to make money, and the parts seller (both new and used) is trying to make money. A complete, running vehicle is almost always cheaper to get than buying a non-running vehicle and adding all those dealer-marked-up parts and labor costs.

Also, buying a running salvaged car can be an extremely risky endeavor because it's very difficult to determine the extent of its previous damage and what was done to get it back into DMV-inspected/certified running, sellable condition until its too late, unless you can get the vehicle on a lift and inspect it inside and out before purchase. The majority of the times the repairs are sub-optimal, replacement parts are almost always generic non-OEM garbage, and the vehicle usually runs less than ideally (engine, suspension, and/or transmission issues, squeaks, noises, misalignments, mismatched paint, massive overspray, etc).

Personally, after all my experiences, I will never buy a salvaged vehicle again; even the cars where I did all the repairs myself except painting, I lost massive amounts of money. It's just not worth all the hassle, work, time, and headache, on top of the financial loss.
Amen. I wouldn't touch a salvage titled vehicle. people wont give you any money for a rebuilt vehicle.

Old 05-28-2016, 01:13 PM
Augster
Senior User
Originally Posted by brokenleg
Amen. I wouldn't touch a salvage titled vehicle. people wont give you any money for a rebuilt vehicle.
I forgot to add one very important drawback to salvaged titles: all factory warranties are null and void (if there were any remaining to begin with); the vehicle would only be eligible for recalls.

Old 05-30-2016, 09:23 PM
2005 Ex Limited
Senior User
It's a raptor and it would be only for fun. The roads up here in the oil fields are terrible, and the tight suspension of a super duty just beats you to death. I still haven't had more than 36 continuous hours off in almost 5 weeks, so this is a just another project that I'll probably never get too since I'm too busy working a 70 hour week for a 40 hour salary.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:26 AM
Augster
Senior User
Originally Posted by 2005 Ex Limited
It's a raptor and it would be only for fun. The roads up here in the oil fields are terrible, and the tight suspension of a super duty just beats you to death. I still haven't had more than 36 continuous hours off in almost 5 weeks, so this is a just another project that I'll probably never get too since I'm too busy working a 70 hour week for a 40 hour salary.
From everything you've mentioned thus far, both here and in your original post, this just seems like a bad deal all around:

1) You don't even know how and where to go about looking for replacement cab and bed, meaning you have no idea how much it will cost to rebuild it.

2) Trying to locate a suitable donor cab (assuming you need hood and fenders as well) and bed will be even more difficult since it's a Raptor as those components are unique, and you probably won't even find matching colors since both would be from different wrecked vehicles (one a front end wreck with salvageable bed, and the other a rear end wreck with salvageable cab), so you're going to have to spend several thousand dollars just in repainting one or the other, or both (which would even be more expensive). On top of this, you would have to get the cab and bed transported to the place where the Raptor is being rebuilt: more money to fritter away, unless you have a large flatbed to haul these large pieces, and the equipment to load and unload them.

3) You don't have the time to spend doing this project yourself. By the time you find yourself perhaps finding the time and money to get this rebuilt (probably in a couple years or more), the value of a similar clean-titled Raptor at that point would probably be cheaper than all the money and time spent rebuilding this rolled Raptor over the years.

4) In your original post you imply that you want to make money in the end when you eventually sell the rebuilt vehicle, but given all the above you will certainly lose money; a lot of it.

It appears you're dreaming visions of grandeur driving around in this rebuilt Raptor for just a song, but dreams seldom match reality.

Even if you try to cut corners, say perhaps just replace the roof of the cab instead of the whole cab, it will probably have all sorts of problems. I had a rolled 4x4 truck that had just its roof replaced and the doors never sealed properly resulting in excessive wind noise and water leaks around the windshield. Now, that was my very first truck and I was still in high school. It had only 20k and was kept in the family for almost 20 years until it was T-boned by a neighbor of my dad who was driving it at the time. In that case, given how the long the truck served us and still we got market-value insurance payout after it was wrecked, it was a worthwhile purchase, but that was a salvaged vehicle already rebuilt and ready to drive for a price certainly below comparable clean-titled trucks at the time.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:09 PM
Michael Culberson
Junior User
Some states require that a salvaged title vehicle must go through a licensed rebuilder in order to be made street legal. Check with your local tag office.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:31 PM
2005 Ex Limited
Senior User
Originally Posted by Augster
From everything you've mentioned thus far, both here and in your original post, this just seems like a bad deal all around:

1) You don't even know how and where to go about looking for replacement cab and bed, meaning you have no idea how much it will cost to rebuild it.

2) Trying to locate a suitable donor cab (assuming you need hood and fenders as well) and bed will be even more difficult since it's a Raptor as those components are unique, and you probably won't even find matching colors since both would be from different wrecked vehicles (one a front end wreck with salvageable bed, and the other a rear end wreck with salvageable cab), so you're going to have to spend several thousand dollars just in repainting one or the other, or both (which would even be more expensive). On top of this, you would have to get the cab and bed transported to the place where the Raptor is being rebuilt: more money to fritter away, unless you have a large flatbed to haul these large pieces, and the equipment to load and unload them.

3) You don't have the time to spend doing this project yourself. By the time you find yourself perhaps finding the time and money to get this rebuilt (probably in a couple years or more), the value of a similar clean-titled Raptor at that point would probably be cheaper than all the money and time spent rebuilding this rolled Raptor over the years.

4) In your original post you imply that you want to make money in the end when you eventually sell the rebuilt vehicle, but given all the above you will certainly lose money; a lot of it.

It appears you're dreaming visions of grandeur driving around in this rebuilt Raptor for just a song, but dreams seldom match reality.

Even if you try to cut corners, say perhaps just replace the roof of the cab instead of the whole cab, it will probably have all sorts of problems. I had a rolled 4x4 truck that had just its roof replaced and the doors never sealed properly resulting in excessive wind noise and water leaks around the windshield. Now, that was my very first truck and I was still in high school. It had only 20k and was kept in the family for almost 20 years until it was T-boned by a neighbor of my dad who was driving it at the time. In that case, given how the long the truck served us and still we got market-value insurance payout after it was wrecked, it was a worthwhile purchase, but that was a salvaged vehicle already rebuilt and ready to drive for a price certainly below comparable clean-titled trucks at the time.

I really don't like your attitude, so let me try to clear this up for you.

1. Sorry about that misleading question. Perhaps I should have asked it as "I've looked in the normal places for a cab. Where else should I try?"
  2. Probably shouldn't assume that I don't have this equipment, or that I would care that *in a snarky tone* the colors don't match. I just said I'm going to beat the hell out of this truck. And probably roll it myself on these roads. So no, I won't care that they're not the same color. Have you met me friend that paints my toys for me? I guess I could keep trading work to him for painted parts.
  3. And guys built hot rods because they are cheaper than buying them. So if you don't change your own oil then don't lecture me on how I should feel about putting a cab on a truck. If I can't do it more than two months then I probably never will.
  4. And lastly. Coming out ahead doesn't imply that I'd sell it. What would the selling point be? It's like a brand new truck! Didn't I state that I would be using it for work?
So yea...

Thanks everyone else for the pointers. I'll have to check with the state about salvaged vehicles.

Old 06-04-2016, 11:01 AM
Augster
Senior User
Silly me. Whining when no one answered but in reality here you were with all the money, time, knowledge, experience, hook-ups. And answers.

I'm just a tool.