1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Building a flatbed - son's school project

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 07:49 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Building a flatbed - son's school project

OK guys, I need you expertise. My son is taking an Ag Construction class this fall in his senior year in high school. He suggested to me that he makes a flatbed for my truck. He asked his teacher and got the OK to have that as his project.

I saw Dave (Hivolt5.0) had used Bob's (BobJ49F2) plans. That would be the best option since it looks more original. But I'm wondering if that might be too complicated for a high school student.

Here are Bob's plans: 1948-52 ford scrip flatbed .pdf files

I would need to adjust the measurements to make the bed smaller. His plans have it 110"X86" I'm looking for about 96"X74" (Yeah not a standard width but I think that width would work best for me.)

Here is a thread showing the facilities: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ng-booths.html

So my questions:
What thickness of metal should this be? I didn't see it in Bob's diagrams.
Is this all flat sheet bent into position?
Can a HS kid handle this? It seems much more intricate than the goosenecks that are generally made.

I know I need to get the plans to the instructor and discuss with him, but I figure you guys have more expertise. Of course, a requirement of the course will be for Sam to document the build here.
He also is taking to a friend about working on the project with him. Including finishing up the bed I recently bought.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:22 AM
hivolt5.0
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you want more, better pictures of the flatbed I had made let me know. The 48 F4 I've been restoring is owned by a friend of mine and his brother actually built the flatbed using Bob's plans. It is made from flat steel that is bent to the proper shape. I'm not sure the thickness of the metal but I can find out for you.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:50 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
That would be a great undertaking for a high school kid, Joe.
The material in my framework would measure out at 1/8", I believe. There is quite a bit of paint on mine so it actually measured a bit more.
Much of the work would involve a shear or saw, and a brake with the ability to make compound bends. Every joint is rivets, lots of them in the project. I guess joints could be welded.
Show the plans to the instructor and get his report on the equipment available for the project. Is it realistic for the equipment that he would have available? We would love to see a step by step build of his project.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:14 AM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Sounds like a cool project!
The factory flatbeds were pretty light gauge metal.....14-16 I'd guess. A large press brake(8 foot) is required to bend long lengths of that thickness.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:42 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I'll be looking forward to seeing it happen. I'll try to help with any questions.

I thought I had the thickness of the metal listed, it's been a while since I did the drawings. The truck is tucked away in a back shed and kind of hard to get to but I can get to it.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:50 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Dave, I would love to have more pictures. You can post them here or email at joekirby1351 at gmail dot com

The brake is my big concern. When I had the rear piece made for the other bed, the first place I went had to send me to another business that had a brake big enough.

I will have a chat with the teacher and see what he things. Bob's drawings are so good, that if they have the tools it should be pretty straight forward. We do have a manufacturing business here in California. I was wondering if they have the brake maybe we could do a co-op agreement to allow a couple of students to go there and work and learn from them.

If they don't have these tools, I will have to go with another design. I have been looking at what others have done. Most homeade beds don't have the stake pockets that I want. So I will have to come up with something.

If it can't be a replica of a Ford Script bed it will be fine with me. Having one my son built will be super cool.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:59 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Thanks Bob. I downloaded your drawings and combined them into a single pdf for easier transport.
Don't put yourself out getting to the bed to check size. I've got lots of time before that is critical. Dave might have it very handy since he recently made one.

Maybe I will have an opportunity to take a welding course there and also help with the bed. We will see what happens.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:53 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Joe, if you are still a school board member then you can put a big brake into the ag budget, right? Tell 4 other board members it is a necessity that the shop have this so your students can get a quality ag mfg education!

Old 05-14-2016, 01:03 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by abe
Joe, if you are still a school board member then you can put a big brake into the ag budget, right? Tell 4 other board members it is a necessity that the shop have this so your students can get a quality ag mfg education!
I've got a school board meeting on Wednesday and graduation this Sunday. I will have to give that a try.

Old 05-14-2016, 02:23 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I guess this is overkill if he wants to do all the brake work, but I considered buying these rails and welding them together.

Pocket Rails for Flatbed Trucks and Trailers

Old 05-14-2016, 08:30 PM
49fordv8f4
Cargo Master
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
I measured my 9' script bed and it was formed from either 11ga or 1/8" depending on where you measure. It would be a good project if they have access to a press brake. The stake pocket holes could be cut with a plasma cutter and the bed could be welded together instead of riveted. Maybe you could have a local steel supply company shear and form the pieces for you and have the boys cut the stake pocket holes and weld it together as their shop project. Even if you had all the pieces made for them, they would still learn a lot in the assembly work and painting. You could even have them make it a script bed if you could find tailgate to cut the script out of. They can cut a rectangular hole in the back panel and weld in the script from the tailgate. The back panel was bent too badly to save on my bed, so I cut the script out with a plasma and welded it in the new panel I had formed.
Mark

Last edited by 49fordv8f4; 05-15-2016 at 05:22 PM. Reason: finished a sentence
Old 05-14-2016, 08:39 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Well that might be an option, Joe.
If we don't have the brake to do the work, I could get those and use a simpler crossmember setup. Maybe just angle iron or square tubing. It would then require some metal runner most likely for the frame rails.

Old 05-14-2016, 11:06 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
I'm surprised the original beds are 11 gauge metal......the one I had(8 foot, no wood decking) was really light. 2 guys could easily carry it.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:50 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by tinman52
I'm surprised the original beds are 11 gauge metal......the one I had(8 foot, no wood decking) was really light. 2 guys could easily carry it.
As I was reading up on plans, I ran across discussion of how sturdy to build the beds. Most people were saying that people over build them. I'm going to take that into consideration as this one is built. This truck will never haul the amount it was built for.

Old 05-15-2016, 12:40 PM
bernette
Cargo Master
Received 139 Likes on 100 Posts
i very interested in your project, going to follow along!

Quick Reply: Building a flatbed - son's school project