1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Bronco or Toy? Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 02:26 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Bronco or Toy? Thoughts?

Yes, I know this is the F-series forum, and a Bronco isn't exactly a pickup. But, I know y'all and would like your input, so please overlook the wrong forum bit.

Question(s):
  1. Thoughts on "overlanding" w/an 80-86 Bronco? (In my definition that's where you take on some reasonable stretches of off-road trails, but is far short of rock-crawling.)
  2. Mod's that might be beneficial to a Bronco for "overlanding"?
  3. Does the TTB really hurt the off-road capability? Is a solid axle really that better?
  4. Guidance?
Background: My son and I've been planning to build the '50 Chevy pickup I have into a real hotrod - until I sent him a link to Hacksters F100 that laps on the rear bumper of Vettes and Z28's. Unfortunately, after I sent my son the link Hackster posted a pic of his friend's restored Toyota Land Cruiser. Sure enough, my son read the thread after the Toy's pic was added and now wants to change the plans to a 4x4 that is big enough to take his wife, daughter of 2, camping gear, and maybe their dogs "overlanding".

But, they live in St Louis so the vehicle has to be roadworthy to drive to/fro Colorado if they want to do so. We've talked through various options and he's kind of hung up on Land Cruisers, and likes the FJ80/FJZ80 series, which are the 1991-97 versions. From everything I read they are as dependable as they come, but they aren't very powerful - or maybe I should say they aren't called "Land Bruisers" for nothing, and the 4.0/4.5L L6 they have doesn't accelerate them like my son's 3-Series Beemer. So, I don't think he's gonna really like to drive one of them.

Given that, I'm thinking the better solution would be a Bullnozed Bronco. It is something I understand and should be able to make handle and perform to his liking. But, I don't know how they handle off-road. So, what do y'all think?

Old 05-09-2016, 03:33 PM
Hound Dog Lew
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a thought here as far as safety. My wife frowns (read: I'm forbidden) upon me taking the kids in my truck anywhere but around town. It's 25mph to school, grocery store etc. This is due to the lack of airbags in the pickup.
I don't know if that affects any decision for long distance driving for your son's family, but I thought I'd bring it up.

Old 05-09-2016, 03:52 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Lew - It is a concern of mine as well. However, you don't get air bags on the LC's until you get to 1995. And, for the most part my son's been looking at the earlier ones. So, as long as you stay with the early LC's it is a fair comparison as far as safety - I think.

Old 05-09-2016, 03:59 PM
redbayredneck
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me preface this by saying I'm a big Toyota fan.

I would pick a Bronco over an early 90's land cruiser any day.

On reason being parts are alot easier to acquire for the Bronco than they would be for a toyota.

Reason two being the power to weight ratio is better on the Bronco.

Reason 3 being that I've never owned a 4x4 I liked better than my Bronco.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:15 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I and my boys do a fair bit of deer hunting here in Alaska.
My daily, do everything truck is the 85 Bronk in my sig. Just
getting the 17 miles to asphalt is what you call overlanding
on old logging roads with some mud crawling thrown in. It is
the best all around hunting and go to town rig I have ever had.
It packs 4 adults and gear with comfort and ease. I had an FJ 40
and we loved it but it rusted away on us. It was a 70 model year
and the stock I6 had more power than we could ever use. But
only packed two people and half the gear. Maybe this helped and
maybe not. IDK

Old 05-09-2016, 04:37 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
I'll start by saying that I've done some of what your son is talking about. On two separate trips I drove a Jeep from Minnesota to Colorado and camped out of the Jeep (once with a friend, once with my wife and 2 year old son). I also did the same thing once with a friend in my '85 F-250 (regular cab long box). And I've done a lot of trips to Colorado or the Black Hills where I set up a base camp and do day trips into the back country.

For me the day trips are a better way to go. I drive my pickup carrying a light weight slide-in camper, towing a small 4x4 (was Jeep CJ5, now '71 Bronco). That makes it a nicer cross-country drive than going in the 'wheeling rig. I can set up a camp once and not have to take the time to do it over and over (although there is more road time driving to and from trails).

That said, the overlanding is good too, but don't underestimate the room needed to haul everything. And if this might be a long term thing, don't forget about the family growing (I wouldn't have started with a CJ5 if I thought about having 2 kids). A full size Bronco would probably be OK for overlanding with three people, as long as tent camping was the plan. Or you could add a small utility trailer and probably be good for 4. but it's not overkill, at least size-wise.

For your other questions, Nothing wrong with the TTB for that type of use. The only real benefit a solid axle has over a coil sprung TTB is ability to handle more torque. But you don't need a Dana 60 in a close-to-stock Bronco, so the TTB will be fine.

The first thing I'd do to make it ready is get some 33" tires on it, with enough room for the suspension to cycle. most people go with a 12.5" wide tire at that diameter but I like narrower tires (my Bronco has 33"-10.50 x 15), which also lets 33s fit with less lift, but you'll still probably need a small lift and/or some sheet metal trimming. 33s give enough clearance for everything I've been willing to try, and I've done some relatively serious rock crawling (at least by overlanding standards).

Next thing would be locking differentials. At least a full locker in the rear. A lunch box locker is probably strong enough, but a Detroit gives more margin of safety. Or a selectable locker like an ARB, E-locker or Ox if you're concerned about on-road handling quirks (I have lots of road miles with automatic lockers though and that's what I'd go with in the rear). You can probably get away with an open diff in the front (that's all I've ever had), but a selectable locker would be nice at times. And if you want more on diffs check out my thread (which I think you've already seen) https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...erentials.html.

With bigger tires comes the need for gearing. 33s aren't that big, so you can probably get away with 3.55 gears (I had that setup in my '95 F-150 with 351 and E4OD). But 4.10s would be better on the road. And off road you want crawl ratio. With an automatic you can pull taller gears, but with a manual it can be hard to slow down enough to not hit the rocks too hard. Ideally you would go with about 4.10s in the axles and lower transfer case gears, but if you want to avoid that expense I'd go with 4.10s with an auto and maybe 4.56s with a manual.

Some rocker panel protection would be a good idea. And bumpers that provide good jacking and tow points. A Hi Lift jack is a near-essential trail tool. I've never had a winch, but I've had times I wished I had one. Although they can be very dangerous if not used well, so take the common sense level of your son into account there (I wouldn't want one of mine using a winch, the other would probably be OK).

Airing down tires off-road makes the ride and traction a lot better, but brings with it the need to air back up when you get to the highway. Generally speaking you get what you pay for in 12V air compressors. $100 - $200 is probably the least you can pay to get one that won't put you to sleep pumping up 4 tires (another plus for narrower tires). a PowerTank is another option (faster until they go empty, then useless until you get them filled, I have no personal experience).

That's probably too much rambling for starters. I'll let others chime in and let you chew on that. But feel free to ask me for more too. I'm sure I can ramble on a lot more!

Old 05-09-2016, 04:40 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
John - Those are good arguments. Good input. Thanks!

AYB - Good input there. Excellent experience. Thanks!

Bob - We are planning on lockers for both axles on whatever we go with, so I'll probably be re-reading your thread on which way to go - and asking more questions. As for the tranny, it will be an auto as his wife said so. I'm thinking E4OD, and given the OD would expect the gearing to be 4.10's given the larger tires - maybe 33's. Considering the need for air, I do have an old York A/C compressor, so.....

Last edited by Gary Lewis; 05-09-2016 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Oops!
Old 05-09-2016, 07:54 PM
WhatsAChevy?
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whatever vehicle you decide on, Skid Plates...Skid Plates...Skid Plates !
My stock '94 Pathfinder 4x4 would climb damn near anything with 235's but the undercarriage was vulnerable. Did I mention Skid Plates ?

Old 05-09-2016, 10:19 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Skid plates! That's a good tip. Thanks. I have the factory skid plate for transfer case and mid-ship tank from Dad's truck, so could use that. And, I have the rear one from Dad's truck if the Bronco uses the same one.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:13 AM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For all the hate for the TTB I really liked the front end on my 94 f150 for dirt wheeling, mild muding and jumps. Bone stock I drove on some pretty gnarly level B roads and made it out the other side.... really miss that old truck.

And a winch would be incredibly handy to have on the front of the truck.

Old 05-10-2016, 05:03 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,100 Likes on 1,789 Posts
It is hard to find something big enough for the family & gear but small enough to fit where you want to go and strong enough to get you back out.
If he or you have done this before could a roof rack be used?

I like the older LC FJ40 or the FJ45/FJ55 (wagons) I drove a 73 FJ40 on & off road and later raced it off road on moto-x tracks.
The six would pull anything just not really fast like the Ford six.
Because of the straight axles and leaf springs the ride could be a little ruff but then it is made to go off road! I never had any issues or broke anything even when racing and it was rolled twice. Roll back on it wheels check over everything and drive it back to the pits to check over better.

They make kits to drop in v8 motors. Buddy had a 350/TH350 in his 72 FJ40 with P/S and it would light up the 32" with out even trying.
They FJ40 has jump seats in back but for long trips the FJ45/55 would be the better way to go I think. Besides the gear could be kept inside were the FJ40 would have to go on the roof.

To me the 2nd gen Bronco and the later LC are cars first for the ride & comfy and a (off road) truck way down the road like todays 4x4's. And if you dont believe me look at todays Jeeps. Real Jeeps don't have A/C and did not have a place to mount a radio!

I bought my FJ40 with a small winch and skid plates were factory.
My .02
Dave ----

Old 05-10-2016, 07:10 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Twig - Thanks. A winch will probably be in the cards regardless of what vehicle we pick.

Dave - We haven't ruled out the older FJ's, but most of them don't have the room needed. And, while you can swap in a V8 and associated tranny/transfer case, that means you are probably sending far more torque to the diff's than they were designed to handle.

But, the roof rack is something we are researching. How big of one or how much rate can be be put on a Bronco's top?

Old 05-10-2016, 08:29 AM
6978sghfbjklgdfsjhkl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
about the tailagte

if I were going to drive a Bronco (and I DO)..I would get myself very familiar with the tailgate system. A few spare parts maybe (like that paddle switch complete harness)..Look for a 9" R/A, and enjoy that larger fuel tank.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:31 AM
6978sghfbjklgdfsjhkl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
But, the roof rack is something we are researching. How big of one or how much rate can be be put on a Bronco's top?
both thule and yakima sell side-loader plates for rack mount use. (use a re-enforcing plate inside if you are concerned)

Old 05-10-2016, 08:45 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
John - Yes, I like the 9" as opposed to the 8.8, especially if we build an engine. But, it looks like from 1983 on you could get either.

As for the roof rack, good point. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Bronco or Toy? Thoughts?